Cheap Cafe Racer ?

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Anyone know anything about these?

misfit_hdr_shop_small.jpg

http://www.gekgo.com/cleveland cycles-misfit-250cc.html

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
This is the first I am seeing of them but boy oh boy do I hope they make a go of it and do well!! I think this is something that the American market has needed for some time now; a little single lung bike that is fun to get around on the back country roads and start having introductory bikes to the market with a little style to them. Go Cleveland!!

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Pretty clearly a Lifan 250. They are a Honda clone, I think, even down to being able to bolt on Honda XL 250 parts. Very well known and certainly better looking than a Ninja 250 and $800 less. l like the look.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Me too, but a brand new bike just out of the crate for $3 grand is pretty sweet if you just need an in town commuter.

I have looked up Chinese bicycles in lots of 10 -25 and they are insanely cheap. I bet these bikes cost the dealer less than $2000 each.

thamisfitwithseatcoverremovedweb.jpg

Last edited:

Craigore

TT Racer
dont know why anyone would buy that when there are a shit load of low displacement cb's around and a benjis seat and tank costs $1,000. you could build your own for less than what that thing costs.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Actually the last time I was at my old college, the Rome program was gone and now they send them to Bejing. Not necessarily a bad thing.

I might be going down an unpopular road here, but I am all for the cheap chinese bikes. I am loving this Supermotard for 2 grand - thats right brand new with 2 year warranty. Its like a Suzuki DR250 clone, buy one get one free sale.

1link0820.jpg

Last edited:

Iceseven

750cc
About four or five years ago there was a huge influx of the chinese dirt bikes for around $2000, they were the Honda clones that were previously mentioned, I looked hard at them but the dealer wasn't really knowledgable about what he was selling and after some research I found that they had a lot of problems with valves and other major issues.
Wasn't long and the dealer disappeared.

If I had $3000-$4000 I would look at a vintage BSA lightning since they are still affordable in the vintage market and with some minimal cafe'ing it would be a really cool.

Skeeter

Rocker
i saw one at a local shop, they make a bobber one too, thats the one i saw. theyre really small. small CCs but "look neat" but i wouldnt spend the money on it. you spend close to 3gs for a tiny goofy half a bike and then relize after 3 months it isnt for you then you need to upgrade.
buuuut to each their own

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
There was a day that I can remember where there was a good choice within the cc engine sizes; Someone with experience that have owned several bikes naturally is not interested in a 250cc starter but these are great bikes for the 16-20 year olds wanting a street ride with some style to it. Japan and Europe understand this concept and sell the shit out of these kinds of bikes and big surprise...the motorcycle communities over here are really strong! I know the American mindset disagrees but a 250cc is a great city commuter and a bike to bomb narrow country roads. Would I sell the pair of Trumpets I have for this ride? Hell no!! Would these bikes catch my interest if I was just starting out and didn't have a lot of money? Hell yes!! It would be nice to see the American market open up a little bit towards bikes like these.

monty

Street Tracker
My second bike is an XBR500, Honda single. That and the Bonnie manage to do all that I need between them. I had a Honda 250 single before that but the XBR does all that the 250 did and allows me to travel a decent distance in relative comfort.

Monty.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Where I live there are enough slow roads that a 250 could have some use as a runabout. I agree its basically useless or worse on our highway system.

But I think a 250 could be enough for a street legal trail bike.

drlapo

Hooligan
I had an 87 XL250 and it was great on the backroads in New England
it was even useable for short runs on I95

DandyDoug

750cc
I agree that, most/many Americans worship at the alter of, bigger/more CC/HP is the best/only way.
I have rarely felt the need for all that extra weight in a motorcycle, unless you are racing or buying for a specific purpose.

The smaller displacement/HP motorcycles sell so well in Europe and other countries due to licensing laws and tax regulations. Believe me as soon as the young rider reaches the age or experience level where they can get a larger faster machine many do just that.

Here in the US. any moron with a pocket full of cash can walk in and ride out on the biggest/fastest machine they can afford. Regardless of experience and in many cases not even having the proper license is required.:mad2:

As to the Chinese machines, after looking at them a couple of times and reading about how most are flat out copies of much older Japanese designs, and probably produced with old tooling from said Japanese companies, I would be very careful about putting my $$ toward one.

I am sure with time the Chinese will improve the quality of the products. But just for an education I suggest any prospective buyer look closely at something simple as the welding on the frames of those bikes. You might be surprised at all the slag and pop left behind.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
The Qlinks ( picture above ) are very well known and extensively written about. They will never compare with the quality of a Ducati MultiStrada but they are basically pretty good - very close or the same as the lower end Japanes bikes. I am amazed no one really has a big bore kit for them.