Cb450

Bonafide

NBR founder
Bonafide that would be good. Just bring by that aluminum tank and seat you got and just leave them lying around everywhere. ; )

lol .. yup, still got em and they're still sitting on the shelf. Even got matching alum side covers for xmas. :rocks:

Garage is full of CBs. Sold one - bought one over a couple months ago.

My latest .. 1972
1972_CB750.jpg

Yes sir, that thing is well-sorted. We have a 750 sitting here doing nothing. So far we've been dealing with the smaller bikes, 350, 350f, and a 550.

Your collection (from what I've seen) is fantastic.

Cereal KLR

Two Stroke
Any updates or new bikes? A 77 T140V kinda fell in my lap for a great price so its in the project line. 13k miles and dam near original including dealer ppwk.

Attachments

• Triumph T140V   1 22 2014 003.jpg
    Triumph T140V 1 22 2014 003.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 0

Flaco

750cc
Any updates or new bikes? A 77 T140V kinda fell in my lap for a great price so its in the project line. 13k miles and dam near original including dealer ppwk.
Damn! Way cool! Now you have to update on that fantastic ride!
No, I wont ask the purchace price…
Carry on,
Allin...

Hey Cereal. I'll have some nice shots to post up in a few days! One project complete.

But that Triumph you got is awesome. Great score. Like Bonafide said, it looks like it doesn't even need any work man!

Cereal KLR

Two Stroke
Thanks, it was a screaming deal too. Needs the usual old bike stuff, fork seals,rebuild brake calipers and replace anything rubber. Its back a bike or two in rebuild que, never enough time for toys. Come on retirement!

Cereal KLR

Two Stroke
Now to really piss off the crowd, I got this one last weekend. 2009 XR1200 with 1043 miles on it. Always liked the styling and found it by in central California in what turned out to be an all day misery filled transaction, but took the beatings to get it lol.

Attachments

• XR1200 003.jpg
    XR1200 003.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 0

D9

Vendor
Congrats on the score KLR!

This guy showed up at a track day last year, smooth rider, hustled around
the circuit just fine, bike sounded beastly! I found it parked north of the paddock
late in the day... stood there and studied it for a good long time, owner was nowhere
around, would've liked to talk to him... damn cool machine, I'd happily have it in my garage.
Looking at yours, I'm guessing he's maybe done a few tweaks to it :motorbike2:
32_turn7_zpsae7ead4b.jpg

Last edited:

Cereal KLR

Two Stroke
Vance & Hines makes a $3500 kit that comes with pipe,fuel controller, oil cooler relocator, number plate etc. for the AMA XR series racing. This one will get a quiet but good flow pipe and fuel map. Too old to hustle something this large for 30 laps anymore lol.

My having a moto commitment problem has seen a half dozen HD products (and a Buell) filter thru the garage. If they are ridden the way they were designed, much like the Triumphs, I find them reliable with moderate maintenence. If ridden in anger and put away wet, then expect a Bultaco like experience.

So if you're reading this and been following this long thread that's cool! If not, basically I started it a long time ago to chronicle all the learning and fun I was having over time building a motorcycle, the CB450.

During this long stretch many things have happened. Mostly all good, but not entirely.

The relevant stuff is my abilities and passion have both increased dramatically for the past five years or so, building things literally every single day of my life in that time through work (machine shop), and in my garage, which has turned into a good little shop really.

I've paired up with a friend and we've built a few bikes now, sold close to ten, and are having a lot of fun and making some money to boot. All in all a good time. But the personal projects have slipped a bit, the CB450 included.

So this thread has become more of a chronicle of just all the fun stuff I'm doing and I like to visit it now and again and add to it when I can.

We just finished up another CB350 and I'm going to post a preview picture of it here. We're waiting for a brake cable, and once that's arrived we're going to take it someplace nice and do a real photoshoot in preparation for sale. This is one of my favorites we've built so far, and I'm a little sad to sell it, but that's the business. I suspect it will be gone to a new home before the end of April, likely listing it for sale on Monday!

In any case, here's a picture.

13175012505_e51aee1e86_z.jpg

The build writeup on this one is pretty direct. Frame off rebuild. I'll spare the long list, if anyone has any questions about it ask away! We had a lot of fun with this one and we did everything ourselves. Painted frame, painted tins, polishing, fitting, engine tuning, wiring, upholstery... everything is new and excellent.

We did the seat in a diamond stitch out of real leather, not vinyl. It is unbelievable looking, it feels incredible, smells fantastic (if you like smelling seats I guess) and just oozes quality. I can't stress how much better a leather seat is over vinyl. Now that I've experienced it I'm going to make it a point to rewrap the Triumph in leather. It's just too good.

Here's a bad shot of some of the seat detail right after we installed it.

13175131203_1621f68e99_z.jpg

As I said, photo shoot coming soon where we'll really show it off. We try to make bikes that look classy, faster, and more refined than the factory model. We aren't making "cafe racers", "choppers", "bobbers", or any other pigeonholed garbage. I'm not trying to be offensive to anyone. All motorcycles are excellent. I'm just saying that what we're trying to do is create a machine that is sophisticated in a no nonsense kind of way. We don't want lime green wheels, giant fiberglass seat humps, or ape-hangers.

These things make motorcycles into caricatures of a motorcycle. Push the slider too far into any one direction and you've got an ugly machine. There are a billion motorcycle shops out there these days, full of dudes with long beards and Pabst Blue Ribbon. Most of them don't know when to pull back. Too much of a good thing, etc.

You need to know when to step away and say, "that's good". Hopefully some of this comes through in the finished product.

Well anyway, thanks for reading, hope everyone's doing well.

Any questions, comments, criticisms- go for it.

Last edited:
13749633334_9b7342dd1c_z.jpg

This is my friend and shop partner in the photo above.

To bring it up to date :

Weather has warmed up so we got this things ignition working correctly, and took it for a run around the neighborhood. It runs fantastic and we can't wait to dive into it.

Never worked on a BMW motorcycle, so it should be interesting. Looking to make this bike into something for myself to use for a little while, at least. I'll probably end up selling it after a bit, but not sure.

If any of you fantastic dudes have spent time wrenching or riding these airheads, chime in! I'm young and stupid, and can always learn.

Roger

Street Tracker
Geez that is nice! Those fenders :)
Makes me think of the 250 Yamaha I had long ago. This would be just as much fun, only without all the blue smoke.

So, you guys are looking at BMWs now. In my quest for another bike, BMW is one of the bikes I would buy. Preferably an early 70s R60 or R75. But you have to be careful what you are getting into. There are tranny problems that plagued some of the BMWs. If the tranny oil is brand new, I would hesitate and start asking questions. Or just be prepared to do a complete overhaul on the gearbox as well as all other parts that need refurbishing. I have a bunch of links for these bikes. One of my favourites is Snowbum's site:

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/technical-articles-list.htm

He has a ton of info but there is a lot of personal stuff that you have to wade through. Well worth it though.

Keep on doing what you guys are doing. I like your finished bikes.

D9

Vendor
the Blue 350 is a beauty...outstanding!... and appreciate
the aesthetic standpoint you articulated... really comes through in
how you treated the rebuild of the bike. Keep up the great work!

beemerrich

Street Tracker
If any of you fantastic dudes have spent time wrenching or riding these airheads, chime in!

I've owned upwards of a dozen airheads over the past 18 years...most of them riders and not nearly as tidy as the honda you just built up. Here's the '74 R60/6 I fitted with 800 cc high compression pistons and 336 cams:

left_front_resized.JPG

The /6 you have appears to be either '75 or '76 based on the plastic signals...the 600 cc bikes are the smoothest, btw, and are the only ones that retained the twin leading shoe front drum. Gem of a bike.

I really appreciate your take on customization. Sensible upgrades and mild customization is where its at...

Cheers,

--Rich