Carrying tools

EncoreJoe

Scooter
Hello to all.

I'm a new owner of a 2008 green & silver Scrambler and am loving it. Coming from a BMW tourer on which I carried everything, I'm wondering what a reasonable tool kit is for the Scrambler.

What are you all carrying and how do you carry it?

Joe

Bonafide

NBR founder
Cellphone and small folding set of allen wrenches.

The only things I've had issues with are (rear tire) flats and license plate & seat bolts disappearing. Solved the license plate issue with a dab of blue loctite.

ssjones

750cc
I hang a small bag off my forward control bar. Personally, I hate these things hanging off the forks below the headlight, but to each his own.
It's a perfect size for carring some allens, screwdrivers and a few sockets (8-10-12-14), an adjustable wrench, penlight, etc.
It has proven very handy in fixing my friends Harley's. Come to think of it, in 33,000 miles I've never had to open to fix my bike. The HD guys are always appreciative.

Allen key, two sided Screwdriver, wrench, 13, 15 & 18mm spanner and spark plug remover. Sit in a roll bag with wet weather gear. Have used wet weather stuff a lot but never the tools.

EncoreJoe

Scooter
That's all sounding good - especially the part about not needing tools on the Triumph!

I carry a pretty good sized tool roll on my BMW but fortunately have never had to use it except to help a friend on a H-D replace his tail light.

I've got a small tool collection for the Scrambler working which I'm just going to carry in a tool roll in a messenger bag for now.

Of course - some BMW guys actually carry spare final drive units. Maybe I need to throw in a chain too? ;)

What size socket for the spark plugs?

Joe

Bonafide

NBR founder
Scott had a cloth-roll of tools that he kept under the seat of ol Blue. They're still there.It's a very minimum assortment - but I'm pretty sure he could rebuild the bike with them. Pull your seat and you'll see the natural void - just in front of the battery. He'd also drilled the stock seat bolt holes out and used a quick release pin to hold/remove the seat.

I use to keep my tools there to Dude. As mine (excluding allen key) are from a honda CT110 and fit in perfect as well as being right size for plug (dont know size) i dont have quick release for seat but have the extender bolts. But as i always carry roll bag on back now I leave there instead.

Nick Morey

Rocker
It's been discussed on here before. The pins have a specific name - which I cant remember right now ... and kinda pricey - like $18-$20 each.

I found Sargent Cycle Fast Access Pins on a thread called "Seat quick release refined". Must be the ones. They're now $37/pair.

The thread also mentioned McMaster Carr may have a cheaper alternative for the budget minded.

ivar

TT Racer
When I go for longer trips, I bring my TengTools 1/4" socket set, which haven't seen much use.
Always brings 3,4,5,6mm allen keys and a Leatherman tool, a couple zipties and some tape. The 5mm is needed every time the seat's going on and off for the saddlebags. And needed the zip ties and leatherman when the hoses connecting the carb nipples started to pop off.
The spark plugs are 18mm, a Tengtools/Kamasa 18mm deep socket works ok. In Norway, 18mm spark plug wrenches are hard to find..

(As for the spark plugs : wonderin, should be possible to swap those NGK DPR plugs with NGK CPR plugs...? The threads are the same, only the CPR's are 16mm instead of 18mm hex diam. More room to work, and uses the same spark plug wrench as most jap bikes.

When I go on long trips with my scrambler, I pack a CruzTools RTM3 slightly modified to suit my bike/me (pic below). I roll a 19mm wrench in the middle of the tool roll for the axles. I stuck a standard 3/8 socket wrench, a 6" extender bar (for replaceing spark plugs) and an 18mm Craftsman spark plug socket and a 14mm standard socket. The standard kit comes with a nice little socket wrench, 8,10,13mm sockets and 2" extender bar. I replaced the CruzTools wrenches with a 13mm Craftsman as well as an 8mm Craftsman (just more comfortable in the hand while working), 5mm, 6mm, & 8mm allen keys - swing end, extra long Craftsman, again just preference. The strange looking "ice pick" in the pocket with the allen keys (to the right of the screwdriver) is just a wrench to adjust my rear shocks. The rest is the standard kit (wire, zip ties,electrical tape, spark plug gapper, adjustable wrench, vice grips, flash light, locktight and wd40.

I bought the kit originally on JCWhitney for $68 delivered. I think it was on sale at the time...

IMG_1414.jpg

Last edited:
While not as elaborate as Skidplates tool roll, the Triumph accessory tool kit is a good compromise together with a Leatherman Wave on the belt. Sure you can't tear the motor down to the big-end nuts on the road side but it's better than nothing. It also fits real neat beneath the seat on the Speed Triple so does double duty. Cost in Australia was $85.

Scrambler002-9.jpg

Scrambler001-8.jpg

...and it normally resides in the Wolfman tail bag along with puncture stuff, my jacket liner, camera and whatever else is taken along on a day ride.
Scrambler004-6.jpg

Uesque

Scooter
I have this for tire emergencies:

image_16845.jpg

Haven't had to use it on the bike but the slime stuff really worked on my riding mower tire.

blacktiger

Scooter
I have this for tire emergencies:

image_16845.jpg

Haven't had to use it on the bike but the slime stuff really worked on my riding mower tire.

Oh yeah, I got one of them too in the tail bag and a socket under the left side of the petrol tank to power it.