can't see

drlapo

Hooligan
I had double cataract surgery over the summer: both eyes fixed= 20/20 vision
they just sucked out the old lenses and inserted new lenses in both eyes
I was awake and "watched" the entire process, pretty neat actually
so anyway, while at the Rockers gig this weekend I "lost" most of the vision in my left eye: cloudy with many "floaters. I called my opthamalogist and saw him yesterday at 4 pm. The diagnosis was a tear in the retina in my left eye. The "floaters" were blood droplets in the eye.
What to do? his response was "fire up the laser", he "welded" the tear shut with around 40 bright green blasts of the laser and by 5 I walked out with a repaired eye
I have around 80% vison in it this morning and expect to have 100% by the weekend
the point is: holy shit! can't see, walk in, get unscheduled laser surgery, walk out, drive home, no waiting: what a great country!!

Yeah that is just an unbelievable story.

Incredible, the leaps that medical science has made in the last 50 years.

I wear glasses and have considered laser surgery to fix them once and for all. I just wonder about cost.

drlapo

Hooligan
Yeah that is just an unbelievable story.

Incredible, the leaps that medical science has made in the last 50 years.

I wear glasses and have considered laser surgery to fix them once and for all. I just wonder about cost.

my problem was a "medical neccesity" so 90%+ was covered by my health insurance plan, total cost less than $1000
stay away from me Obama!

sgt brad

Scooter
yep, with socialized medicine you'd be blind for weeks, months or years before it was repaired...if it ever was. glad you're on the mend.
brad

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
.. while at the Rockers gig this weekend I "lost" most of the vision..

Is that why you didn't come up and say hi? I was wondering if you'd be there but don't think we ever met....

Anyway, great result - totally amazing!

drlapo

Hooligan
Is that why you didn't come up and say hi? I was wondering if you'd be there but don't think we ever met....

Anyway, great result - totally amazing!

I chatted with you and your wife about the TT: Dave, old fart with grey hair and one eye(now two)
1979 Bonneville

cynr1023

TT Racer
Great to hear you can see. For those of you considering corrective surgery. I had 20/200 & 20/400, I couldn't find my own ass with both hands if I didn't have my glasses on. I had it done and it has been the best thing in the world. I wasn't expecting miracles, I just wanted to be able to function if I lost my glasses, and occasionally in my line of work that has happened. When it does I'm as good as an litter patient as I need someone to guide me or at least someone to follow around. I'm actually about 20/25-ish in both eyes and can't believe the difference. Now, I didn't pay for it, but after the surgery I wouldn't give a shit if they gave me the bill!!

strokerlmt

drlapo........I had the catarac lenses implant done on the rt eye 4 yrs ago...the the rt eye 2 yrs ago. For the first time in 50 yrs I had 20/20 vision and great night vision. Glad it went well for you to. The retina.....wow.....my wife had that 9 yrs ago in one eye. Same as you out comes the laser and zapppp.
Watch out foe floaters when riding ;-))

LMT

cafecruzin

Two Stroke
yep, with socialized medicine you'd be blind for weeks, months or years before it was repaired...if it ever was. glad you're on the mend.
brad
from a land that has a social system of medicine i can only say that that is a ridiculous statement

kdlutes

Scooter
If you are considering Lasik, get it if you can. I waited and waited for them to get the procedure just right and also worried about the cost. Finally had it done and a few weeks later after healing, no corrective lenses needed. First time in 30 years. My only regret is I didn't do it earlier, and I had to pay for it all myself. Worth every penny.

rodburner

Rocker
laser,schmazer,I did my own surgery with a drinking straw..:C
Picture040.jpg

Kirkus51

Hooligan
My brother had all sorts of eye problems after his lasix. Cataracts, then detached retina, etc. etc. I'll stick with my pop bottles....at least until my cataract surgery.

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
I chatted with you and your wife about the TT: Dave, old fart with grey hair and one eye(now two)
1979 Bonneville

AH! My bad, then! Great meeting you! It's always so strange meeting folks with real names and not having any idea what their screen names are or vice versa. Glad you got your depth perception back!

cynr1023

TT Racer
There's another online forum that I'm part of that has regular; albeit impromptu, meetings, I've always thought of getting a t-shirt with my forum name stenciled on it.

sgt brad

Scooter
Really? How do you know that? Ever try making an appointment with an ophthalmologist?

yep. i go to church with my optometrist, as i've never had the need for an ophthalmologist. i call his office. make and appointment. i show up and pay for the visit. voila "healthcare" provided.

canada- call for an appointment and wait with finger's crossed.

england- call for an appointment and wait with finger's crossed.

france- call for an appointment and wait with finger's crossed.

hmm..i see a pattern here.

just for the sake of debate i took a minute to call a local ophthalmologist to verify the difficulty in scheduling. his secretary was ready to schedule me for an exam and consult tuesday the 15th.

Last edited:

drlapo

Hooligan
all I really wanted to say was that I was impressed with the opthamologist's skills and equipment: he bounced a frickin laser off a mirror to get at the tear in my retina
IN HIS OFFICE, ON A MOMENT'S NOTICE!
it was frickin cool