Bonnie exhaust: Arrow, D&D, Preds

localmotion411

Street Tracker
As good as the Bonnie TOR's sound, I gotsta have more noise. And it wouldn't hurt to go on a diet. I'm one of those who hates to settle, so I won't jump until I know I'm getting the right thing. For Thruxton-style exhausts on a Bonnie, I'm somewhat limited.

Preds: to get the upswept cans i.e. Thruxton, I've got to replace my stock headers with Thruxton headers, which is supa expernsv. I know, I know, I could settle for the lower swept Bonneville preds. But damnit, tha' ternt what I want. And I want it all black (unless I go with Arrow), etc., which brings me to:

D&D: a lot of mixed reviews on the 2 into 1, which looks friggin' killer. Excellent price for a full system, and my most cost effective option -- this system would cost me half of the arrow system. But if everyone likes the Preds better, I have a feeling I would too. I don't mind a little raspy, but I don't want it to sound like Rosie O'Donnell's ass after a chili binge. By all accounts, the Preds are in front by a mile over the D&D's in the tone dept.

Arrow: a chunk of change for some pipes, but so were my Ohlins, and them's the business; and I've gone this far anyway, why scrimp. The Arrow 2 into 1 is the object of my obsession and would help me shave some unwanted .lb's due to TI construction. And truthfully, it would cost me more to buy some OEM Thrux headers from Triumph and Pred cans from British Customs. Our dealer's brother has a Bonnie with the Arrow 2 into 1 that I'm planning to check out in the next week or so -- it had better sound like the hammer of the gods if I'm forking $1200 over.

Decisions...

JEnfield

Street Tracker
Bonniegirl has Bubs on her 790 and I liked the sound of them over the preds. I have gutted D&Ds on my 07 and they rip so load you can set off car alarms rideing around town. When we all got together in Bennington VT every brand was present and you could listen to them side by side for a true comparison.

Jimmy

neuroboy

750cc
i have d&d's but the guy who put them on "fluffed up" the baffle to attenuate the noise a little. . . it apparently makes a difference--i've not heard the d&d's out of the box.

Last edited:

mikenva

Rocker
The preds for the bonnie have more up turn on them than stock pipes with stock bonnie headers.I would look at them before i changed headers. I would allso look real hard at the 2into1 D&D They do look kinda neat and seam to make good power.I have preds now I might get the d&d soon for my bike

LS1*

Scooter
I wouldn't trade my d&d's for the pred's, but thats just me. The one real plus to the preds is that they are stainless.

localmotion411

Street Tracker
I've heard a couple of people say the D&D's are a little raspier and not as deep/throaty/rich sounding as the Preds.

I want more upsweep on my mufflers than the Bonnie Preds with stock headers. The D&D would be the best option, if it sounds good that is.

bdavanza

Street Tracker
Localmotion
You do NOT need different (thrux) headers to run predators, they have the inclined position built in to them. here's my 01 Bonnie w/ preds on stock headers.
_MG_5305.jpg

_MG_5308.jpg

Thrux headers may give you more angle than that but these are definitely not level with the ground.
-Ben

ma2ra

Vendor
Alternative
PAK Bikes BRM Shorty Megaphone For use with Thruxton Headers.
Comes with removable baffles.
Has a great sound with out baffles.
shortyslipon.jpg

cfthrux4825web.jpg

+1 for the D&D's

Add me for the D&D's. Super loud and a nice note as well. Everyone likes what they like of course and there are several great options. If you're near L.A. you can come hear mine in person. Here's what they look like:
Bon032008rt.jpg

A bit upswept as you can see. My God these are pretty bikes!!!!!!

Cheers,

SK

localmotion411

Street Tracker
Localmotion
You do NOT need different (thrux) headers to run predators, they have the inclined position built in to them. here's my 01 Bonnie w/ preds on stock headers.
_MG_5305.jpg

_MG_5308.jpg

Thrux headers may give you more angle than that but these are definitely not level with the ground.
-Ben

I personally want more upswept cans -- more of a cafe look.

HOOPLA

moped
Pipes

I ran a thread in the other forum, and came away with that exhaust systems can make a significant differance. They are not a majic bullet, with tuning there are gains to be made. In addition further mods may be necesary to fully appreciate increases, carbs, head work etc.

Others rated the performance increases as follows
2 into 2 race tops
2 into 1 next best
then dual exhaust such as preds, doms,
TORs
stock

I personnaly like the looks of the arrow 2 into 1 exhaust. Would like to hear a sound bite on them. I spoke with someone in Fla. who had just installed them on a new Bonnie, and said that at idel, they were at 5 and a nice note at higher rpms.

HOOPLA

DavidC

Rocker
TORs?

Hey Hoopla - did you sell those TOR's? I sent you a message on Triumph.RatNest. I think I'd like to buy them from you if you still have them.

localmotion411

Street Tracker
Hey Hoopla - did you sell those TOR's? I sent you a message on Triumph.RatNest. I think I'd like to buy them from you if you still have them.

I have a set of TOR's for a Bonneville that are currently on my bike now that I am wanting to sell. They have about 100 miles on them and are practically new. Let me know if you'd be interested.

FYI: I think I'm going to give the D&D all-black full race 2-into-1 a shot. Anyone know if it will bolt onto a Bonneville without modifications? Not sure if there is any difference in that regard between a Bonnie and a Thrux.

bdavanza

Street Tracker
not to change the subject but bdavanza what type of flyscreen is on your bike?
National Cycle. Any bike shop can get it from you or look on ebay. I paid about $100w/ shipping new a few years ago. Some say they make no difference. I say use one for a week and then take it off, you will notice that it's gone.
-Ben
web
http://www.nationalcycle.com/catalogue/flyscreens.html
review
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/motorcycle-fly-screen/
a place that sells them
http://www.bellacorse.com/bcc079.htm

Last edited: