Bonneville as first 'real' bike

innominate

Street Tracker
If you decide to go with a lighter, lower powered bike instead of the bonnie I suggest this
http://www.peirspeed.com/madass125.htm

otherwise, don't think the msf makes you a motorcycle god, ride within your abilities and get the Bonnie. If that's what you really want. Just be smart about riding and get it. IMHO

FoothillRyder

Two Stroke
+1 to the above.

I don't think a smaller, less powerful, lighter bike is necessarily the right answer. It depends upon the individual! Personally, my first street bike was a '66 Bonneville.

Get the training, no matter what bike you choose.

Then select a motorcycle you're comfortable with, and that will suit your needs.

My $.02.

Twodogs

Street Tracker
I agree with FoothillRyder. My first road toad was an 83 VF750FD than an 88 GSXR750 and so on. I felt confident about riding them because I had spent a lot of time in the dirt learning the very basics of bike riding and a lot of that was by making mistakes, dirt is lot more forgiving at 60 klm then bitumen is at 100. So when it came time to get my license my mates VF was for sale and I had always wanted one and the adjustment from dirt to road was easy. The bikes had plenty of stick but it all boils down to how smart you are. If you are riding to impress everybody else then give up now because it is all about the passion and thrill of riding and owning the bikes and what it does for YOU. Everybody has to learn as you are not born blesssed with experience, some learn quicker than others but if this means having to start off small and work your way up one step at a time than by all means do that, it is only you that really knows what is right but as mentioned before if you are wanting to buy a bigger bike because of some image thing then the real joy of bike riding will fade fast.

strokerlmt

I had taken 20 years off from riding. Bought my Bonneville in 2003, took the course and was back in the saddle feeling secure. If you purchase a smaller bike than the Bonne you will just be selling it in a year and buying a Bonne.
LMT

innominate

Street Tracker
Gents,

I stand by my feelings that a Bonneville is not the best 1st bike. Consider this: back in the day, the late 60's, the Bonneville was arguably the baddest, fastest, quickest motorcycle on the planet. The Sportsters and BSA riders will put up a valid argument. But you get my meaning. Compare the new Bonne to the old: They both will run a mid 13 second 1/4 mile time, the new one has a higher top speed, and if that ain't enough, it's a 100 lbs. heavier, and far more responsive to throttle input. Into the equation are the distractions that are present today in the car drivers: phones, TV'S, Texting, etc. Now , maybe someone can show me how in 45 years the baddest, fastest m/c thats heavier to boot becomes a "great beginner m/c" . What has changed? Are the beginner riders better, more advanced than the beginner riders of yore? I must have missed something, it wouldnt be the 1st time.:) One Summer on a 250cc would go a long way and if you do drop it, it's not a great loss, that's why they are great beginner m/c's.

dont forget. the OP says he's been riding a 200cc scooter for the last 2 yrs. those things can move along quite well. so he has experience riding. just not riding with clutch and gears.

hankmarx

750cc
For all those advocating a 250, How big is the original poster?
At 6'2'' and 230 I barely fit on those bikes at the MSF course.
I put 4000 miles on a Ural solo and then bought the Bonnie.
I wish I had bought the Triumph first.

mark66

TT Racer
I agree with FoothillRyder. My first road toad was an 83 VF750FD than an 88 GSXR750 and so on. I felt confident about riding them because I had spent a lot of time in the dirt learning the very basics of bike riding and a lot of that was by making mistakes, dirt is lot more forgiving at 60 klm then bitumen is at 100. So when it came time to get my license my mates VF was for sale and I had always wanted one and the adjustment from dirt to road was easy. The bikes had plenty of stick but it all boils down to how smart you are. If you are riding to impress everybody else then give up now because it is all about the passion and thrill of riding and owning the bikes and what it does for YOU. Everybody has to learn as you are not born blesssed with experience, some learn quicker than others but if this means having to start off small and work your way up one step at a time than by all means do that, it is only you that really knows what is right but as mentioned before if you are wanting to buy a bigger bike because of some image thing then the real joy of bike riding will fade fast.

Well said.....it really gets down to a personal level. If the OP picks up the art of clutch/throttle quickly and can handle a little more weight at slow moving speeds, then that's fine. I learned on my '72 BSA. Not quite as heavy as todays Bonnie and a little less top end but I did fine. Todays MSF course will go a long way into the learning curve.

benjamindickens

Street Tracker
I am thinking about buying a Bonneville which is why I registered for the site. Mainly because I love the look of the bike and have read all the good things folks have to say about it.

I've been riding a 200cc scooter for the past two years and I'm looking to move up to something bigger. I've never ridden a bike with gears before and am a little intimidated by it.

Wondering whether anyone thinks I am better to start with something smaller and get used to the gears and get a Bonneville a few years down the road?

MODS VS ROCKERS COME TO THE ONLY RIGHT SIDE

I obtained my bike licence on a Sports Bike and then when I was un-restricted bought my Bonne SE and have never looked back. They are great bikes and can be customised to your liking and are easy to ride. However whatever bike you get can be dangerous if your wrist is used flat out on the throttle when your riding ability is not upto scratch. Take your time and have the right mental attitued and you will be fine no matter what you get. I dont regret ever the choice I made in buying my bonne its the best thing I have done and thats including getting divorced. :ride:

Alobar

Scooter
All of my riding experience prior to my Bonnie was on an old Yamaha Enduro bike that I rode around my farm and on some small country back roads. I did take a 2 day class to get my motorcycle endorsement for my license also. Anyway I feel very comfortable on my Bonnie and have only had it for a few weeks. I think it feels pretty user friendly. I have not been pushing the limits at all though.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
The Bonnie is a very forgiving bike with the traditional bicycle/motorcycle set up. It would make for a fine 1st ride for any grown dude.

Hi - I'm a newbie to the site, and have just returned to bikes after a long time away. Am just completing the final part of the UK bike qualification and have bought a 2011 Bonnie. I don't fancy a sportsbike and the Bonnie's seat height, performance, handling and reliability have all been praised over here as being suitable for a first "big bike".

Hope that's true - really looking forward to riding it after doing a course using Honda and Suziki 500's.

Welcome!

Whether the Bonnie is the right first bike for you will depend a lot upon the MSF course. In the old days big brother or sister might give you a push on a 165cc down the alley to get you started, but some MSF courses these days already start significantly above that.

I took the course at Harley-Davidson (gasp) on a 500cc Buell Blast. The course was significantly better than the more generic and cheaper course offered in the mall parking lot. There was more seat time, more class time and better student to teacher ratio which helped immensely if anyone needed a few minutes of personal assistance.

By the end of the course I had the confidence to just drive the Blast home, highway and all. In just a weekend I was doing emergency moves and tight maneuvers.

Granted, I had actually learned to ride several years earlier from some friends on a 600cc 11 second 1/4 mile Yamaha. It was too overpowering for me, that it was the worst to learn on and I sold it very soon afterwards and hadn't ridden since. But there were students who had never ridden before and got a better final grade than I did.

After the course, I was debating buying an HD Sportster or the Bonnie. The Bonnie is decidedly more nimble and a bit quicker than the 883 in the HD. I also liked the classic look. Though nervous, I rode the Bonnie home with confidence that I could only have after that course. Without the MSF course even the Bonnie would have been too much for me as a second first bike.

benjamindickens

Street Tracker
I am thinking about buying a Bonneville which is why I registered for the site. Mainly because I love the look of the bike and have read all the good things folks have to say about it.

I've been riding a 200cc scooter for the past two years and I'm looking to move up to something bigger. I've never ridden a bike with gears before and am a little intimidated by it.

Wondering whether anyone thinks I am better to start with something smaller and get used to the gears and get a Bonneville a few years down the road?

I had a 250cc sports bike when I first got my licence because that was basically the only bikes around and we are restricted here in Australia, Victoria. I owned it for 1 year and had never riden a bike prior to that and upon meeting my girlfriend aka ex wife I sold it and had a gap from riding for 8years. Upon dumping the wife and getting a life, I bought a bonne se 09 blue/white mag wheel version and dont regret it at all I love my bike so much and its one of the best things I have ever done. It has evolved from stock because I love it so much see my post cafe racer mod/style. It is a very easy bike to ride and the power is progressive so dont be scared and once you ride one you will ask yourself this question! WHY HAVE I PROCRASTINATED SO LONG TO BUY ONE. Do yourself a big favour go and test ride one you will love it! Gears are easy like everything else you learn you get better with time but this bike will not KILL YOU. Hope this helps your decision making kindest regards Ben Dickens

Last edited: