Dyno'ed my bike today

strokerlmt

We went to San Luis Obispo for a classic bike show and rally . It was hotter than shit. My good friend and motor builder Matt Capri was there with 2 sexy new Nortons on display. There was a professional dyno booth so I dyno'ed the bike with Matt conversing with the techs.
4500-4800 feet of elevation. 30.baro press.....
90.75hp 68.21 torque maxed out at 8500-9000rpm.....
Man oh man did she sound unbelievable at the top end. Shift at 8000k and 80hp from 6500rpm....
LMT

Attachments

• IMG_0261.jpg
    IMG_0261.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 1

PieMan

Two Stroke
Nice figures LMT, she must be a joy to ride. I'm surprised she tops out @ around 7,500rpm with 813's and 39's, what pods are you using?

strokerlmt

Nice figures LMT, she must be a joy to ride. I'm surprised she tops out @ around 7,500rpm with 813's and 39's, what pods are you using?

Pieman......I am no expert at all.....so don't know what the 7500 is about.....they ran her up to 9000k where the limiter cut her out.....then for the run he backed off at 8500k.....I am running lean so Matt is sending me 5 points + 5 points to re jet.....the bike ran extremely smoothly all the way but especially from 6000-8500. the 1 3/4 headers to the single supertrapp brought a big crowd over because all they had been hearing was hd's.
I would appreciate any thoughts from you....
LMT

PieMan

Two Stroke
That'll be it then, if you're lean up top. Would like to see a dyno when you're correctly jetted.

Kframe

Street Tracker
Geez, I bet that pulls like a bull! Holy crap!
Probably sounds like a bunch of hornets too!
:rocks:

Did you change the gearing, like a 19T, or stock?

Wow, just, wow! -K

mikenva

Rocker
It cant be to far off thats a good running street 988.Its not droping off till 8500 rpm.I would love to see the numbers it would pull with D&D 2INTO1 like me and carlos have to compare the 2 pipes.
With out going way big on the head,cams,race gas and higher compression (12.5 to 13.5 to 1) you wont get much better then that on a 988.
Thats a good running bike.

We went to San Luis Obispo for a classic bike show and rally . It was hotter than shit. My good friend and motor builder Matt Capri was there with 2 sexy new Nortons on display. There was a professional dyno booth so I dyno'ed the bike with Matt conversing with the techs.
4500-4800 feet of elevation. 30.baro press.....
90.75hp 68.21 torque maxed out at 8500-9000rpm.....
Man oh man did she sound unbelievable at the top end. Shift at 8000k and 80hp from 6500rpm....
LMT

I am a little confused. 4500-4800 elevation in San Luis Obispo? And those dyno numbers were STD numbers which are about 3-5% higher than dyno numbers that are reported in SAE, which is the industry standard. Actually dynos vary so much that they give very little accurate hp and torque numbers when different dynos are compared to each other. One of my friends went to ten different dynos looking for that "happy" dyno that would give him the biggest numbers. There was a difference of 12hp between the "stingy" dyno and the "happy" one. A dyno is valuable for doing baseline runs for mods or adjustments before and after, but the runs have to be done on the same dyno, under the same conditions. BTW, I have driven motorcycles that produce big numbers for bragging rights that are a piece of junk in normal day to day riding. Not trashing the numbers that your got, just saying that there are a number of things that need to be taken into consideration, and dyno numbers don't tell the whole story.

Last edited:

strokerlmt

I am a little confused. 4500-4800 elevation in San Luis Obispo? And those dyno numbers were STD numbers which are about 3-5% higher than dyno numbers that are reported in SAE, which is the industry standard. Actually dynos vary so much that they give very little accurate hp and torque numbers when different dynos are compared to each other. One of my friends went to ten different dynos looking for that "happy" dyno that would give him the biggest numbers. There was a difference of 12hp between the "stingy" dyno and the "happy" one. A dyno is valuable for doing baseline runs for mods or adjustments before and after, but the runs have to be done on the same dyno, under the same conditions. BTW, I have driven motorcycles that produce big numbers for bragging rights that are a piece of junk in normal day to day riding. Not trashing the numbers that your got, just saying that there are a number of things that need to be taken into consideration, and dyno numbers don't tell the whole story.

Travellll.......hummmm......elevation....of course SLO isn't at 4500 ft of elevation. Could the techs have been talking about the 29.95 barometric 92 degree heat....hot air.....I don't know. We did at least 5 runs and that one is the most conservative. The man that built my motor, Matt Capri, happened to be there and observed the whole thing. His comments, the stroker engine ...2003 T-100 988cc 813cams 39FCR carbs, ran like a charm. It was smooth and solid alllllll the way. It is a good base line.....if I want to I am going to change the jetting for the summer and the winter as per Matt's suggestion. And I might put a single Dominator muffler on the 2 to 1 headers I have and see how that works. Trav....its a dyno run ....thats all it is.....I am just sharing it with the other riders on this great site.
LMT

whyme

TT Racer
Wait a minute....Does that reply look familiar? Anyone thinking what I'm thinking? Is HE here again??

Dont understand them at all. I had a dyno on my 790 bon, and was provided a copy of results. Mean's nothing to me?

2631602810100875198S600x600Q85.jpg

Disregard date was actually done September 2010. Maybe I will learn something from this thread

Are you guys referring to me? I have only had my Bonneville a short time and I am new to this board. Can you tell me who "HE" is? Sounds like "HE" was not appreciated by the boards members and I am on the same track.
It was not my intention to give someone a bad time. I was simply stating some facts and some opinions. Since I am new, is this frowned upon? Maybe someone can share the ground rules with me so I may keep the status quo and keep myself out of trouble with the group.

Vendor
Travellll.......hummmm......elevation....of course SLO isn't at 4500 ft of elevation. Could the techs have been talking about the 29.95 barometric 92 degree heat....hot air.....I don't know. We did at least 5 runs and that one is the most conservative. The man that built my motor, Matt Capri, happened to be there and observed the whole thing. His comments, the stroker engine ...2003 T-100 988cc 813cams 39FCR carbs, ran like a charm. It was smooth and solid alllllll the way. It is a good base line.....if I want to I am going to change the jetting for the summer and the winter as per Matt's suggestion. And I might put a single Dominator muffler on the 2 to 1 headers I have and see how that works. Trav....its a dyno run ....thats all it is.....I am just sharing it with the other riders on this great site.
LMT

Those are good numbers Lach!
There is couple of more ponies there with the correct main jets.
Considering that you have 813 cams and a "normal" cylinder head , your engine it's doing very well.
Don't worry about this guy Travel ( sounds like George, does it, right?:ignore:). We know what you got!
Congrats my Friend!

strokerlmt

Travel......According to a man that knows wayyyyyyyy more than I ever will a good dyno run done by a tech that knows what he is doing is a great baseline to build on if you want to tune your engine. There have been several dyno runs posted here and I think during the conversations no one flapped about bragging rights or high numbers on pieces of junk. It never crossed my mind to go have 12 runs hoping some numbers will look better, thats a lame idea. There was one run that showed 102hp and 68t but Matt agreed with the tech that the computer wasn't reading right and jumped around. So we went until we got a consistent solid multiple reading. The numbers are what the numbers are and I think Matt and Carlos are frigging geniuses.
Nuff from me,,,,
LMT

mikenva

Rocker
those numbers are in line with what they should be.Who ever this travel guy is he dont know anything about a 988 motor.yours is a few hp faster then my 988 was yours has better cams then mine did I had 790 cams but I had 42mm carbs.Mine was 89+ hp .
I just love how people come on these forums and talk down about someones hot rod motor and all they have is a stock bike.That guy would shit his self if he wacked the throttle on your bike in 1st gear lol.

those numbers are in line with what they should be.Who ever this travel guy is he dont know anything about a 988 motor.yours is a few hp faster then my 988 was yours has better cams then mine did I had 790 cams but I had 42mm carbs.Mine was 89+ hp .
I just love how people come on these forums and talk down about someones hot rod motor and all they have is a stock bike.That guy would shit his self if he wacked the throttle on your bike in 1st gear lol.

You are all over this (new?) bloke liker a pack of dogs. I just looked at his post again and he said things like ...
"Not trashing the numbers that your got, just saying that there are a number of things that need to be taken into consideration, and dyno numbers don't tell the whole story"
When the original post started with inaccurate elevation figures I think it's reasonable to point it out, and that's all that he did.