Been Quiet for a While

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Greetings once again NBR! I know I have been off the radar for a while now...a lot has happened. The Tangs left Misawa, Japan at the very end of June and spent time with family in Missouri. This was the first time they got to visit with the boys and see Mrs Tang since the whole ordeal began. It was a great visit...I was told to shut the hell up and the kids and wife got all the attention...exactly what I was hoping/wanting to have.

At the end of July we packed up the car and drove to New Jersey to my next duty assignment. It was a good haul...we stopped for a few days in Columbus, Ohio and had some good family fun. Arrived on station 24 July and five days later I was informed by the wing commander that due to budget restraints and force management, I was selected to retire from active duty. So instead of in-processing the base, I had to out-process the base and retire. A cluster fuck of epic proportions and a great way to wrap up 21 years of service.

So I pressed on and have my retirement and most importantly, I have my GI Bill protected so that I can pass on to my boys so they can go to college when the time comes. I have my own feelings & opinions on this whole thing but it doesn't really amount to a hill of shit as the machine keeps moving with or without you regardless. So I brushed it off and looked to the positives of this and for my family.

So now we are back in Missouri and have finally moved into our house. We've been living out of a suitcase since we left Japan in June and it is good to be in our own house we call home. It looks like we only have about a week left before our household goods arrive and I can actually ride once again....first ride since May! I am looking forward in getting lost in the windy hills of the Ozarks and discovering new countrysides.

Mrs Tang recover is still going spot-on and she will be just an hour drive to one of the top ranked specialty centers in the country. She has already met with her doctor and her follow-up care is underway. We are blown away from the quality of care she is getting and knowing that she has started in her care that will never change ever again due to a move or an assignment is something we haven't experienced before and it is great! My oldest son just started in his first grade and knowing he has started something he will one day graduate from is a great feeling. These are things I couldn't give when I was still active duty.

So it has been one hell of an adventure so far but here we are. Close to family and living in a great community. We still have an incredible amount of things to be thankful for and it is time to put the Air Force behind me and move on. It wasn't how I envisioned retiring from active duty but there you have it...not everything in life happens as plan!! And the best thing about all of this????????????

:cheer::cheer::cheer:I HAVE A GARAGE!!!!:cheer::cheer::cheer:

Dave

Street Tracker
congrats on the retirement. I understand how fucked up they are, I did 5 actual years and have credit for 11 on my DD-214 because they lost my paperwork for 6 years... where did you end up in MO?

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
congrats on the retirement. I understand how fucked up they are, I did 5 actual years and have credit for 11 on my DD-214 because they lost my paperwork for 6 years... where did you end up in MO?

I am on my terminal leave right now and become a civilian 1 December so I don't have the infamous 214 in hand just yet! I am in Knob Noster right now and we are loving it here! I can hear the cows at night but I am 10 minutes from Warrensburg and 45 minutes to Kansas City. We originally planned on Jefferson City but I had to make some changes to that plan due to the medical coverage. The trumpet should get here next week and I am freaking dying to get on that damn bike and ride the rubber off of her!

fender

Street Tracker
Great to here you are all slowly getting settled in. Forced retirement sounds like it threw a wrench in your plans. But sometimes those things are for the best.

Hope your bike gets here in good order and you can get back to riding!

monty

Street Tracker
Well, that's explains the recent lack of Tang stuff on here. Wish all the best and good to hear the family are settled in. Great that you gave your garage at last. Tang cave!!

Best wishes,

Monty

Welcome home Tang family! Congrats on the retirement. I was about the same age as your son (1st grade) when my dad retired after 20 years in the Coast Guard and we were able to set down roots here in the Seattle area.

On a more selfish note though, sorry we’re not going to be able to grab that burger/beer/ride that we had talked about. :D

Flaco

750cc
You're a very fortunate man w/ a great history, family and an outlook on life that most would envy…
I wish you and your family the best!
Best and kindest regards to your wife…

You now have a GARAGE also!

Allin...

Kirkus51

Hooligan
Hope you enjoy the "Show Me" state. Lots of hill country I'm assuming. Hope the household goods get there in good shape and you drive on the correct side of the road.

NYUK!

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Well, that's explains the recent lack of Tang stuff on here. Wish all the best and good to hear the family are settled in. Great that you gave your garage at last. Tang cave!!

Best wishes,

Monty

Thanks Monty, I like the ring to the "Tang cave!":cheers:

Welcome home Tang family! Congrats on the retirement. I was about the same age as your son (1st grade) when my dad retired after 20 years in the Coast Guard and we were able to set down roots here in the Seattle area.

On a more selfish note though, sorry we’re not going to be able to grab that burger/beer/ride that we had talked about. :D

I thought Seattle was going to be home too. We planned on that for quite a few years but these last couple of years opened our eyes to value of being around family and some other things so Missouri is where we ended up. I will definitely give you a heads up though when I come through Seattle on visits and possibly work. I'm still craving a Red Mill burger!

You're a very fortunate man w/ a great history, family and an outlook on life that most would envy…
I wish you and your family the best!
Best and kindest regards to your wife…

You now have a GARAGE also!

Allin...

Thank you Allin for the wishes, that is appreciated. It is pretty awesome having a garage!!:cheers:

Hope you enjoy the "Show Me" state. Lots of hill country I'm assuming. Hope the household goods get there in good shape and you drive on the correct side of the road.

NYUK!

If you head south from where I am at going towards Arkansas, then there is quite a bit of hill country. The state gets pretty flat if you north which it is kind of famous for with all the farming done here. I've been told though by a lot of the local riding community that Missouri is one of the best kept secrets when it comes to riding and I am looking forward to finding out! I've already driven on the "wrong" side of the road here more than once :D

Roger

Street Tracker
Glad that you are back home again B06Tang. Looking forward to some more of your awesome vids if you are up to it. Now, with a garage, should make it a whole lot easier.

Ride safe on your first forays out on the Bonnie. There is a whole lot of disregard for two wheelers here in North America.

Last edited:

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Cheers Bud! Sounds like it was a cluterfuck, however, glad you've found a place to call home. The Ozarks have fantastic riding, I'm quite jealous, I've only ever been able to drive through.
Also, some damn fine river/creek fishing as well!! Look forward to hearing some ride reports, and best regard to your family!

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Glad that you are back home again B06Tang. Looking forward to some more of your awesome vids if you are up to it. Now, with a garage, should make it a whole lot easier.

Ride safe on your first forays out on the Bonnie. There is a whole lot of disregard for two wheelers here in North America.

Thanks Roger! I do plan on getting back into doing the video thing again and this time I don't have the Pacific winds barreling through knocking everything over! I think the first video I am going to do is reverse bleeding as they will need it after two months going over the ocean. Throw up any comments/ideas on the page if you want.

Cheers Bud! Sounds like it was a cluterfuck, however, glad you've found a place to call home. The Ozarks have fantastic riding, I'm quite jealous, I've only ever been able to drive through.
Also, some damn fine river/creek fishing as well!! Look forward to hearing some ride reports, and best regard to your family!

Thanks buddy! Osage is less than an hour and we are just at the tip of the Ozarks where there are nothing but hilly and windy southern Missouri countryside roads all around me at the new house. It seems everyone wants to jump on either interstate 50 or I-70 so these other roads are empty all of the time! I'm really chomping at the bit to get the bike here! I never been much at fishing but I think I definitely will be trying it considering where I am at now!