Anyone taken a long road trip on their Bonnie

C908

Scooter
I'm considering getting a Bonnie in the near future and may still take an occasional road trip. I was wondering if any of you have added bags, shield and a luggage rack ? I'm just curious how a Bonnie would do on a road trip? I currently have a 2010 Ultra that I stripped down to look like a streetglide. Before this bike I had a Wideglide and it beat me to death on a 2,000 mile road trip so I traded it for my Ultra. The Ultra has been a good bike once I got it set up to fit me. I'm 5'7 165 lbs and ride solo 100 percent of the time. I'm turning 60 in a few days and starting to think I don't really need a 900 lb bike to meet my needs. I appreciate your comments.

wasn't there someone who rode round the world on a scrambler?
Also Ted Simon managed OK on his Meriden Tiger, a modern Bonneville is a much better bet than that!

I see no reason why not. You need to sort some luggage carrying capacity, a screen (maybe), better rear shocks with more travel (maybe ... but definitely a pair of Hagons for me). None of these are difficult.

drlapo

Hooligan
I've ridden my 05 Thruxton on some 1000 mile weekends.
it's great
and I'm 66 years old, 5'7" and 150 lbs

I covered close to 500 miles. Used the gassing up as moments to relax, walk around, snack, hydrate, etc. Definitely doable but I would recommend having a good seat and proper gear should temperature changes vary drastically. Also, keep the speeds sane (below 75 mph) because the windbuffeting will eventually get to you unless you have some sort of windscreen

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
I did a 5 day, 3,000 mile trip circling the coastline of Hokkaido, Japan. Epic ride and my Bonnie was more than capable for the task.

rndtaylor1

Scooter
Mistermellow did a circle of the country a few years ago.
I have lost contact with him, but let me see if his travel adventures are still on the site.

Texas94fs

Hooligan
I've done some 750 mile days of all backroads on my Thruxton. Depends on if you are gonna have a tank bag or backpack. I'd suggest tank bag. Less fatigue and you can lay on it a bit as well. It can be done.

C908

Scooter
When the weather gets nice this spring I'm going to check out a couple of Triumph dealers. The closest dealer to me is 77 miles and the second closest is 100 miles. This is a little bit of a concern to me but not a deal breaker. I'm hoping to test ride a Bonnie and see how it feels. Until then I will enjoy researching and learning as much as I can.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
The Bonnie is an excellent bike to consider buying used. Hinckley Triumph really went out of their way to overcome the stereotype of the Meriden bikes and built one hell of a tank of a motor. Very under stressed motors that holds up. I bought mine used six years ago and haven't looked back since. It is another option to consider unless you want brand new.

Demar

Two Stroke
Longest trip on my T100 was 1500 miles in four days of camping. Bike ran great and held all my overpacking.

bonnie-and-bocci.jpg

squidsix

Scooter
Rode my mag wheel 2011 Bonneville from Seattle to Virginia Beach in the summer of 2011. Took the windshield off in Idaho and put it in a dumpster, but otherwise not one problem at all for 3200 miles. (A day after I got to VA, I rode it 500 miles to Upstate NY and 500 miles back)

Samspade

Scooter
Did 1200 miles in 3 days last November on my T100. Except for coming home thru three hours of rain followed by eight hours of polar vortex it would have been a perfect trip.

Last edited:

C908

Scooter
Demar thanks for posting the picture, are those Triumph bags ? Sounds like the Bonnie is a fine bike. I really think I would like to try a Triumph next. I've been riding since 1974 and have owned Kawasaki, Yamaha, Honda and Harley's. The bike I kept the longest was my Honda Valkyrie which I rode for 10 years.

Last edited:

monty

Street Tracker
Just got back from Germany on mine. See my ride in ride reports. I have no hesitation is using mine for long trips. I went to Czech Republic in 2011. Two 500 mile days to get there, 1,000 miles riding there and two 500 mile days getting back However they can suffer in the wet. I had my first recovery home in 14 years of ownership on way back from Germany.
Neville the Bonnie drowned in heavy rain on the way up from Dover on Sunday night. Still trying to find the electrical gremlin.

All good though.

Monty

Attachments

• 2015-02-23 21.30.49.jpg
    2015-02-23 21.30.49.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 0

strokerlmt

I have held off because so many more experienced New Bonneville riders have said it all. My humble opinion is if you want to ride with your feet out in front of you, on a heavy cruiser then go of it. For me I have done 500-700 mile days on my T100 Bonneville which is under 400 pounds wet, I have had 2 full hard saddle bags, they had campaign g equipment and tools strapped on top, plus a tail bag paced + a tank bag. I had a fly screen and good suspension. I am 65 in June and with a bad neck, rt shoulder, 2 knees and 2 bad hands I was fine. When I don't do a trip the bike is magic.
LMT

Demar

Two Stroke
Demar thanks for posting the picture, are those Triumph bags ? Sounds like the Bonnie is a fine bike. I really think I would like to try a Triumph next. I've been riding since 1974 and have owned Kawasaki, Yamaha, Honda and Harley's. The bike I kept the longest was my Honda Valkyrie which I rode for 10 years.

The bags are Saddleman bags and they are holding up well, better than I thought they would. One good thing about the Bonneville is that there is a LOT of aftermarket stuff available. You can customize it any way that suits you. I bought a mount kit from New Bonneville Parts to mount the bags that I really like. The bags go on and off quickly and lock to the bike. The bags don't have locks but have a place for a couple of small TSA type locks.

http://www.newbonneville.com/html/luggage_brackets.html

and you need... http://www.newbonneville.com/html/quick_mounts.html

The bracket left behind on the bike doesn't bother me.

bonnie-other-side.jpg

drlapo

Hooligan
I have held off because so many more experienced New Bonneville riders have said it all. My humble opinion is if you want to ride with your feet out in front of you, on a heavy cruiser then go of it. For me I have done 500-700 mile days on my T100 Bonneville which is under 400 pounds wet, I have had 2 full hard saddle bags, they had campaign g equipment and tools strapped on top, plus a tail bag paced + a tank bag. I had a fly screen and good suspension. I am 65 in June and with a bad neck, rt shoulder, 2 knees and 2 bad hands I was fine. When I don't do a trip the bike is magic.
LMT

what did you do to your T100 to get it under 400lbs?
I would love to drop 100#+ from my Thruxton