another CB750 project ..

GuyM

Street Tracker
Yeah, it was quite the bike back then... I never rode it, a little scared that I'd mess up his bike and/or kill myself on it!

Was on a Suzuki GS750 back then myself. Fast enough for me, but I couldn't hold with him on that worked over Honda. Some of that was bike, but he was just plain a better rider too.

Guy, that Honda is awesome! The early 80's beard/hair/clothing just makes that picture better! I'd love to have that bike today.

ivar

TT Racer
A neighbor of mine in the 80's up was a Honda nut. Started out with 2 Honda 350's, both with megaphone 'silencers' in name only. Then got himself a worked over CB750, bored to 900 and a lot of goodies. Supposedly went like a scalded ape, but had a huge torque dip in the low/midrange. So it was a handful to ride.
Later got himself a VF1000R, the one with gear driven cams.

Then my family moved, and the next thing I hear about the guy is that he and some buddies started their own MC museum. (The worlds northernmost..!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIJkJZwiU3Y

Bullitt

Two Stroke
you know, the cost of your Duc vs the cost of your CBs just goes to show that spending $$$ on motorcycles is really an exercise in demonstrating the rule of diminishing returns. I mean, you can buy a CB, or any other 20-30+ year old UJM, for next to nothing, spend a grand or so getting it rideable and reliable, not to mention cool, and you're out say $2-3 grand and have a badass bike that you can ride cross-country over and over again!

Or, you could blow $30,000 on a Harley and barely ever put the rubber on the road, or $15k+ on a Duc plus tons of $$$ on upkeep, and still not get a whole lot more enjoyment in the end than the guy that buys a cheap used bike, makes it his own, and rides the hell out of it.

Couldn't have said it better myself sweat...so true!

ssjones

750cc
Great choice! I love the way you are setting it up. I snapped this one at a recent PA event (yours is shaping up more nicely):

Interesting about the Duc insurance. I keep eyeballing those sport classics. After reading your earlier post I got a quick web quote from Progressive (my current carrier) on a SC1000. It was only $280/year with basic full coverage, took their default limits & deductibles. I say only, but my full coverage for my America and my '66 chopper (classic insurance...uh...) is currently about $240/year for BOTH bikes.

Bonafide

NBR founder
The insurance company I use is a broker where they get quotes from a list of underwriters. They thought I was joking as to why I sold the Duc - they really started scrambling when I told them I had received a quote from my home insurance carrier that was $700 yr ($200 less than their best quote) which is still more than I will pay. My FFR Cobra was less than $500 yr and it had an agreed upon value of $35k.

The latest CB is out having some pieces and parts powder coated right now.

Bonafide

NBR founder
OK ... went to work today, wandered around HQ for about an hour and then walked in the Chiefs office and said, 'I have 118 hrs this pay period .. think it'll be ok if I was to .... ' and before I could finish my words - they sent me home. I took out my (black) 76' CB750 SS and enjoyed a nice day of riding. Beautiful here - almost 70degs and sunny. I stopped by the shop where I had the powder coating done on my 72 CB - wheels done, new tires, levers, had my master cylinder replaced - they were about done with it and fixing to sync the carbs. Should be ready tomorrow or first of next week. Then I'll swap all the new body parts back on and be pretty much done with it ... well ... need to find some mirrors that look good on it.

ssshhhhhh ... can ya'll keep a secret? this is going to be GF's birthday present and she doesnt have a clue. heeehehehehe

attachment.php

Attachments

• CB_72_nov09.jpg
    CB_72_nov09.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 0

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Lucky girl. Its a good thing you are attentive to the carbs as women seem a bit more carb sensitive in my experience. Guys can ride a bike with snotted up carbs and never even notice, probably because they are always twisting the throttle.

No turn signals?

Bonafide

NBR founder
Almost got it finished up ... just needs a new gas cap.

Snapped a pic and then hid it under some covers in a corner of the garage ....

72_cb750_nov09_2.jpg

whyme

TT Racer
Any plans for the fenders? I had a CB that I took about 6 inches off the rear fender and it looked pretty good. I brought the turn signal stalks in too.

Bonafide

NBR founder
Any plans for the fenders? I had a CB that I took about 6 inches off the rear fender and it looked pretty good. I brought the turn signal stalks in too.

Keeping the fenders as is .. on looking for some turn signals that fit my fancy.

Bonafide

NBR founder
Got everything finished up and I was so excited that I couldnt wait til Deb's actual b-day to give to her. The sad part ... it's raining today, so we just stood in the garage and made 'vroom-vroom' noises.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• deb_40th_72cb750.jpg
    deb_40th_72cb750.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 0
  • deb_40th_72cb750_2.jpg
    deb_40th_72cb750_2.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 0