another CB750 project ..

Bonafide

NBR founder
I was told it would have cost $600 for my 6k service on my DS1000 - which is basically adjust valves and change oil. That's not including a tire(s).

I dont think the chain will need adjusting on a 6k service for a CB, but that would get taken care of when the rear tire is replaced ... oil and tires sound about right at 6k for it though - roughly $200 for everything?

you know, the cost of your Duc vs the cost of your CBs just goes to show that spending $$$ on motorcycles is really an exercise in demonstrating the rule of diminishing returns. I mean, you can buy a CB, or any other 20-30+ year old UJM, for next to nothing, spend a grand or so getting it rideable and reliable, not to mention cool, and you're out say $2-3 grand and have a badass bike that you can ride cross-country over and over again!

Or, you could blow $30,000 on a Harley and barely ever put the rubber on the road, or $15k+ on a Duc plus tons of $$$ on upkeep, and still not get a whole lot more enjoyment in the end than the guy that buys a cheap used bike, makes it his own, and rides the hell out of it.

Last edited:

Texas94fs

Hooligan
you know, the cost of your Duc vs the cost of your CBs just goes to show that spending $$$ on motorcycles is really an exercise in demonstrating the rule of dimishing returns. I mean, you can buy a CB, or any other 20-30+ year old UJM, for next to nothing, spend a grand or so getting it rideable and reliable, not to mention cool, and you're out say $2-3 grand and have a badass bike that you can ride cross-country over and over again!

Or, you could blow $30,000 on a Harley and barely ever put the rubber on the road, or $15k+ on a Duc plus tons of $$$ on upkeep, and still not get a whole lot more enjoyment in the end than the guy that buys a cheap used bike, makes it his own, and rides the hell out of it.

Exactly what i tell folks here in houston who laugh at me for having the thrux instead of some plastic sport bike. I don't need tires ever 4 thousand miles or to take everything off the thing to just change the oil, or drop the motor to do the sparkplugs. I can do most of it myself and its mine with my little touches for free or cheap.

Clarke

Scooter
Gotta Love the CBs

Nice, One of these days.........I would love to get one. Even a 175cc, or 350 model. Does your state have the 20 plus year old antique license plates? Another way to save $ I get caught looking at them on e-bay all the time. "ANOTHER MOTORCYLE!!" She says.

pepper

Street Tracker
I've always wanted to cafe a CB550F. Reading your project posts has got me motivated and looking for one again. Hmmm...maybe I'll tell the wife, "It's for you dear".

Bonafide

NBR founder
I've seen some 500/550s really cafe'd out nice. They dont have the external oil tank like the 750s, so you can strip them down quite nicely. The only problem is their physical size compared to today's bikes - at 6'00" and 200lbs - I already look like Magilla Gorilla riding a moped on my CB750.

Attachments

• magilla-gorilla.jpg
    magilla-gorilla.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 0

koifarm

Hooligan
Please please, Dude

I've seen some 500/550s really cafe'd out nice. They dont have the external oil tank like the 750s, so you can strip them down quite nicely. The only problem is their physical size compared to today's bikes - at 6'00" and 200lbs - I already look like Magilla Gorilla riding a moped on my CB750.

What a great mental picture Dude, why, the imagination purely runs amok at that one!!!:eeek::huh:

nohawk

Rocker
I just found out about a cb750 motor for sale in longview from a real good guy that own Rustys scooter shop here in Longview. I think he said 600 bucks and it was built by him and a machinist friend of his,Rusty is the best mechanic I have ever known, I dont know much about the engine except that it is now 850cc and balanced if I had funds I would buy it . If anyone here want it or wnts more details let me know.

D9

Vendor
I've seen some 500/550s really cafe'd out nice. They dont have the external oil tank like the 750s, so you can strip them down quite nicely.

Ya mean like this?

72cb500hansson.jpg

:rock:

GuyM

Street Tracker
Bonafide - just for inspiration - here's a photo of my buddy and his "750" back in the day. Photo taken about 1979 or 1980, after he'd had some time to craft it the way he wanted. I know it was punched out to 900+ cc's, and that it was fast as greased lightning, but I don't have the specs avail at all. Thought you'd like the look back 30 years ago:

GHonda.jpg

I like your project bike.

Regards, Guy