Airbox removal/crankcase breather

Hey guys,
I'm a new Bonnie owner (long time admirer) and I have a few questions that I hope you more experienced guys could answer. Her previous Owner did the air box removal and I'm just going through everything to make sure it was done correctly. One thing in question is the crankcase breather. I've seen photos that show these nicely routed but this one is just sitting on the crank case. Is it ok there or should I find a new location for it? If so where and how do I go about doing so. I apologize ahead of time for my future ignorance. Also the air filters are off for a good cleaning ATM. Thanks for your responses.

Travis

Motley

750cc
I've seen 'em just laying there, and I've seen hoses routed to the back of the rear fender. I couldn't tell you which is the best method though. Either way probably would do no harm, so just experiment.

Nice bike BTW.

rbirkey

NBRAdmin
Staff member
Travis,

Welcome to Bonneville ownership! In my experience and opinion there is no "right" place for the the air breather hose and filter. It looks like the previous owner just cut the stock hose short and located the breather filter closer to the vent relief hole.

As Motley said, people put them all kind of places. The stock location is near the rear of the transmission in front of the rear tire. Because I upgraded my engine to 1100cc, and have increased crankcase pressure, I have a more elaborate vent system with the breather filter located near the rear of my Bonnie.

Putting myself in your shoes, and seeing the airbox removal done, and the mufflers removed, I would also want to know if the carbs were modified and rejetted to take advantage of the increased airflow. Without that, the added air in and out won't improve performance much.

Randy

Thanks for your responses guys! As long as it's not hurting anything, its current location is fine with me, I just thought it looked a little odd, maybe when I have some spare time I'll make it look a little prettier. As for the rejetting, the previous owner did rejet the bike, I'm not sure what size jets he used. The fortunate thing is, he kept every part, so I could put it completely back to stock if I wanted. I even have the original jets. For now though, I think I'm just going to ride it! Thanks again guys.

qwenzel

Two Stroke
That breather should be relocated to a higher position. It will remove the pressure in the crankcase better when mounted higher.

That breather should be relocated to a higher position. It will remove the pressure in the crankcase better when mounted higher.

Where/how do you suggest I do this. What would I use to secure it at a higher position? Id rather not use zip ties. Duct tape??

Travis,

Welcome to Bonneville ownership! In my experience and opinion there is no "right" place for the the air breather hose and filter. It looks like the previous owner just cut the stock hose short and located the breather filter closer to the vent relief hole.

As Motley said, people put them all kind of places. The stock location is near the rear of the transmission in front of the rear tire. Because I upgraded my engine to 1100cc, and have increased crankcase pressure, I have a more elaborate vent system with the breather filter located near the rear of my Bonnie.

Putting myself in your shoes, and seeing the airbox removal done, and the mufflers removed, I would also want to know if the carbs were modified and rejetted to take advantage of the increased airflow. Without that, the added air in and out won't improve performance much.

Randy

I see you're in Chicago! I'm actually going there on Memorial Day, picking up a new (used) seat for the Bonnie at a shop called "Motoworks". Thanks for you response.

qwenzel

Two Stroke
Where/how do you suggest I do this. What would I use to secure it at a higher position? Id rather not use zip ties. Duct tape?

Just use the right size hose and push it up between the carbs. Mine has been there for years w/o any problem. Don't use duct tape, that's crude.

D9

Vendor
Just use the right size hose and push it up between the carbs. Mine has been there for years w/o any problem. Don't use duct tape, that's crude.

Say whaaaaat? Depends on the skill of the ductee :D

F4B09GGGCZAIIFY.MEDIUM.jpg

See that's a nice duct jobbie! Do you know what size hose and what kind of house? Can I just go to a hardware store and get the same size hose?