Three New Triumphs for 2012

neuroboy

750cc
canny.

Directly hitting the gigantic big GS market in Europe. . . an upgraded Speed3 which is already loved and will probably be drooled over by reviewers. . . and a special edition Bonnie for those that have the dough to buy a vanity bike (we know there are plenty of those).

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
What a let down! They have something incredible to work with such as a Great Escape bike and then they take a Bonnie and slap on a few bolt on accessories and call it a special edition. Give me a break.

strokerlmt

BO6Tang.....you know IMHO its ok. No one, especially the eraser heads at Triumph could do a better "Steve grt escape" bike than us. It's a start, hopefully the new owners will mod a little and come up with the "real deal".
LMT

innominate

Street Tracker
I agree with lmt. Its ok. What would you expect them to do but use readily avail parts? its cost effective. I think they shoulda used black case covers. And they could coated the pipes black. But I haven't looked at pics of the bike he road in the movie. And its been forever since I've actually watched the movie to know how close it actually looks like that bike. What is the cost of the mcqueen bonnie?

RoyNC

Street Tracker
I like the black wheels and hubs on the McQueen bike. I would love to do that on my Scrambler. The black springs look good as well. I'm not one for the over chrome look.

slowgator

750cc
I like the black wheels and hubs on the McQueen bike. I would love to do that on my Scrambler. The black springs look good as well. I'm not one for the over chrome look.
Agreed, even though I ride a T100. Too much chrome starts lookin' like a Harley. I even kinda like the muted matte green paint job, especially with the black rims. I'd have one, no problem.

innominate

Street Tracker
Agreed, even though I ride a T100. Too much chrome starts lookin' like a Harley. I even kinda like the muted matte green paint job, especially with the black rims. I'd have one, no problem.

Since the movie bike had silver cases and pipes I think the bike looks the part. I have the s3 with the matte khaki green paint and I love it. But dust sticks to it like a magnet.

RoyNC

Street Tracker
What concerns me is that Triumph is starting to go the route of Harley Davidson. Adding a new shiny bit or a different luggage option or new color does NOT make for a new model. I don't think sublte upgrades should count as a new model. Something we have not seen ever is a NEW model.

Clarke

Scooter
People will be doing a Great Escape out of the showroom. I keep dreaming of that Tiger Cub single redo, but know it will never happen. :(

strokerlmt

People will be doing a Great Escape out of the showroom. I keep dreaming of that Tiger Cub single redo, but know it will never happen. :(

I would buy a T Cub redo tomorrow. Don't fret Triumph are doing well again.
Maybe there is hope.
LMT

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
What concerns me is that Triumph is starting to go the route of Harley Davidson. Adding a new shiny bit or a different luggage option or new color does NOT make for a new model. I don't think sublte upgrades should count as a new model. Something we have not seen ever is a NEW model.

Exactly! Take a Bonnie and then walk down your accessory aisle. Add a couple "custom" parts with an allen wrench and voila...you have your "special." Come and get it! No thanks...Triumph was always more creative than that.

neuroboy

750cc

i don't know. in the last the last model year they introduced the tiger 800/adventure, and, only a few years ago, the street3. also, this tiger explorer is a significant bump in displacement over the tiger1050. sure, the steve mcqueen bonnie is a cash grab, but would you leave that money on the table if it was there for the taking?

i don't see triumph as having made a really wrong move in the last few years*. the street3 is an amazing bike, they've continued to support the modern classics line with only minor tweaks (and that's good, IMHO), and they've introduced the 800cc (and now 1200ish cc) adventure bike to compete in the lucrative bmw touring market in europe--a friend of mine just got back from belguim and holland and said that big GSs were about 75% of the bikes he saw there.

i don't know, man, seems like they've acquitted themselves pretty well.

* the major exception being the gawdawful headlights on the latest-gen street and speed3. ick.

DandyDoug

750cc
For what its worth;

Over on the BMWMOA forum there is a bunch of whining going on about Triumph having no shame for their blatant copying of the BMW SUV model ( the GS , for those who do not know).

Now to add insult to injury, Triumph has the audacity to copy their own
( BMW's) sport touring model .

I say , good on ya Mr. Bloor & company go for it , beat them at their own game, a better motorcycle at a lower price.
Oh crikey that sounds like what was said about the Japanese when they helped grow the motorcycle market place over the British industry back in the 70's.

Dejavu all over again in reverse ???????????

neuroboy

750cc
Heh, as if BMW has a patent on adventure touring bikes. Also, I'd say the F800R takes a lot of cues from the Speed3/Street3.

pot, kettle. . . I believe you've met.

innominate

Street Tracker
Heh, as if BMW has a patent on adventure touring bikes. Also, I'd say the F800R takes a lot of cues from the Speed3/Street3.

pot, kettle. . . I believe you've met.

Potkettle.jpg