AI, California cans, and idle characteristics

DavidC

Rocker
Gentlepeople,
Since I have removed the AI and California emission canisters, I notice upon cold startup using the choke, it does not idle at the RPM it used to and sounds like it wants the choke [enrichner] off much sooner. No tach, so I do not know exact RPM, but I've heard it enough to tell the difference. I did not adjust the idle or carbs at all. It idles fine after I push in the choke and runs fine - like it always has, but I am curious if this is to be expected. I assume it is, if I understand the purpose of the AI to be influential only at idle speed.
Any thoughts?
Thanks!

CAPTDON

Street Tracker
Idle Etc..

Your from NJ- How come you got all that Cali crap?? It will idle(warm up) different w/o all that crap. You wont need the choke for more than a minitue or 2 MAX!! in warm weather.My bud doesnt even use his choke in the summer. I use mine for 30-40 sec's. If you have done the bafflectomy- then you should open up the "D" screws. I de-baffled her & drilledout the plates. Opened up the D screws 1/2 turn or so. Made a BIG difference! More bottom end & better warm up.It got so much low end- it would pull the ft wheel off the ground on JUST a quick start! It is running so rite on that the plugs are rite on color & gap after 4 yrs! If you still got the baffles- get rid of them!! It will finish the job of transforming the Bonne into a real Bonne!! Any other questions- ask !! All here will help ya bring the girl to what she should be!
Runs better alreadt Ill bet? Keep up the good work!!

Ben Quick

Street Tracker
I bought my 06, in 2006 and it has the Cali crap. I will follow this thread closely.
Thanks for asking Dave.

localmotion411

Street Tracker
I bought my 06, in 2006 and it has the Cali crap. I will follow this thread closely.
Thanks for asking Dave.

Can someone point me to where the "Cali crap" is located? Want to see if it is on my bike so I can get rid of it. I'm seeing a bunch of random tubing that looks extraneous.

Dawgone

Two Stroke
The "Cali Crap" is a set of evaporative emissions canisters attached to the bottom rear of the frame ahead of the swingarm. Near the centerstand mounts. a large and small black plastic canisters, solenoid and plumbing.

localmotion411

Street Tracker
The "Cali Crap" is a set of evaporative emissions canisters attached to the bottom rear of the frame ahead of the swingarm. Near the centerstand mounts. a large and small black plastic canisters, solenoid and plumbing.

That's what I thought -- I can take all that stuff off?

Dawgone

Two Stroke
Oh ya. All you need to leave is:

1) the Vent Line from the tank to the tip-over valve. That can be routed behind the clutch cover.

2) The Carb Breather hose. It runs from a cross-over tube between the carbs at the front. I stuffed some LOOSE pcv filter material in the open end and left it straight up and down terminating under the tank.

3) You'll need to cover the vacuum nipples on the carbs and intake manifolds with caps or you can use tubing to cross from left cylinder to right.

All the solenoids can be unplugged and removed. I just zip-tied the remaining electrical to the frame.