A Hitlerite Dictatorship? Triumph Rat Net

casper

Two Stroke
I have been on ''Triumph Rat Net'' for about 3 years now and on this forum since it started as well. Although not active on this site.No wonder so many people have left Rat Net? A fellow Brit who is a Rocket owner found exactly the same thing. Sad.

I never swear, make personal asides or insult any post. We were having a really good debate on the topic:

''Should British Troops Pull Out of Afghanistan''. No one was insulting each other and the thread had a way to go IMO.

Then one of the moderators (an Australian) decided to pull the thread.

When I sent him a PM he basically said (and I quote below in full) . Nice Aussie eh?

Casper :(

''Ok, if you are just curious, then this PM would have sufficed to get your answer and not post in the open forum complaining about closing threads.
In one of your posts, you stated that the thread had gotten off topic which is why I stated that what could have been said had been.

Even though you say that this is an open forum, you have to remember that this is NOT a democracy and the decisions taken by the moderating do not get discussed with the regular members.You say that members were actively contributing, but were these contributions constructive and in the best interests of a motorcycle forum? NOT IMO.

If you wish to have long discussions about politics, then there are many other forums for you to go to on the interweb.
If you are not happy with the operation and running of this privately owned site, then you are more than welcome to find another.There will be no further discussion with you on this matter.

AceT100

Rocker
I left when this one started...I was fed up with it a year ago!

Welcome to the Dark Side (from a former Brit)

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
For what its worth, I occasionally post something over there just to fuck with the moderators. I have no real interest there, except to look something up in "Twins Technical Talk".

I have been on many forums and there are a couple of scenarios that repeat over and over. The "dictator mods" is just one . Most forums have some bull shit going on and you learn it over time. People can't help it and their animal instincts come out.Very common.

What is rare is a forum like this one - where people actually restrain their impulses. Its rare to see people do that.

I appreciate it so much.

Sal Paradise

Bonafide

NBR founder
If you wish to have long discussions about politics, then there are many other forums for you to go to on the interweb.
If you are not happy with the operation and running of this privately owned site, then you are more than welcome to find another.There will be no further discussion with you on this matter.

I will say this;

Politics are not allowed here either. It's a Motorcycle forum - and I prefer to keep a limit to the scope of topics as it keeps things on track and with that we'll see much less arguing.

As for TRAT ... before it didnt matter what the discussion was about. You could be having a healthy discussion about what tires, chains, or oil work etc and they'd start tagging people with the miserable user option - especially if your opinion differed from a Moderator. When you have some knuckleheads controlling things - inserting their personal agendas - it tends to be an aggravation instead of a pleasure to visit.

I have banned a few users from here - but it's been a while. When it seems their only intent for being on this forum is to bring or support mischief and mayhem - and they're not happy unless causing a disruption or dissension ... then they're gone. I just ask that you come here to enjoy yourself and be halfway civil about it - and we have a set of RULES.

casper

Two Stroke
Thats fair enough, but its open from the start isn't it; then i know not to post political discussions.

Perhaps its like Victorian dinner parties that us Brits used to hold, you could talk about anything.................except.................for....................

.................religion and...................politics :)

I suppose we all get a little ''upitty'' from time to time - including myself! I think it was the unilateral nature of the decision and I was genuinely keen to hear from serving UK armed forces, so we could widen the debate and hear their side (it was a thread on the topic: should UK forces pull out of Afghanistan).

Anyway, its not important. I find the threads generally interesting here and sometimes I even learn something!

Casper

casper

Two Stroke
Read this http://www.newbonnevilleriders.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3013
I was limited then banned ages ago. This is a far better site anyway. They run it like a nazi dictatorship and most here know that. Remember anyway its their loss. Not yours. I cant believe they gagged me for nothing but now realise I am far from alone.

Very interesting so I'm not alone then!

I did hear about the ''Rats Nest'' lot a while back but I did not realise how petty they really were!

That thread showed me how small minded they can be. Pity as there are some good people on the site. Basically the moderator said this was a ''private site'' and in a certain way was telling me to dissapear and I had never posted anything vaguely nasty or insulting; i just wanted an honest debate. The Aussie moderator is contol freak i think.

Casper :)

ssjones

750cc
That pretty much sums up my experience. Shame, there is a lot of good technical info and knowledgable folks over there.
For what its worth, I occasionally post something over there just to fuck with the moderators. I have no real interest there, except to look something up in "Twins Technical Talk".

I have been on many forums and there are a couple of scenarios that repeat over and over. The "dictator mods" is just one . Most forums have some bull shit going on and you learn it over time. People can't help it and their animal instincts come out.Very common.

What is rare is a forum like this one - where people actually restrain their impulses. Its rare to see people do that.

I appreciate it so much.

Sal Paradise

I take it that Aussies and Brits generally have a disdain for one another?

Only when it comes to cricket or football, otherwise we generally get along just fine. :)

It's probably not general knowledge but I'm another refugee from RAT.net however I requested that my account be closed there instead of waiting for the inevitable banning. In my experience the moderators and site supporters over there are very thin skinned and robust technical debate is actively discouraged if it appears to be in any way questioning the "status quo".

There's a couple of egos over there that you couldn't drive an SUV over as well - you know who you are. :wave:

casper

Two Stroke
I take it that Aussies and Brits generally have a disdain for one another?

Aussies and Brits have a very big family LOVE / HATE relationship.

They call us ''Poms'' we call them ''Aussies''. We don't mind them too much really. :) We used to tell them (a while ago) to ''rattle their chains'' (loads of them were sent to Oz as convicts and felons!!!!!).

But its normally very good natured.

Apart from the fact we just won the ''Ashes'' in cricket (1st time since the 1930s I think).....and of course Rugby matches tend to be highly competitive!!!!!

But its all good natured stuff (long as they know THEIR place of course) :eeek::eeek::eeek: Aussies all tend to be tall and blond and bigger than me......:(

Casper

whyme

TT Racer
yeah...I had a great time in Australia in my 20's. Nice people, nice women. Spent some time in a few bars and saw first hand the Brit/Aussie ribbing- most is good natured. A lot of queen jokes. My favorite part was that the girls started every conversation with "we love your accent." Did I mention I had a good time there??

Last edited:

KingBear

Hooligan
I spend some time over on that site, not nearly as much as I used to since this site started. I don't care enough to get uptight about the moderators anymore.

wobblygong

Street Tracker
We used to tell them (a while ago) to ''rattle their chains'' (loads of them were sent to Oz as convicts and felons!!!!!).

Apart from the fact we just won the ''Ashes'' in cricket (1st time since the 1930s I think).....and of course Rugby matches tend to be highly competitive!!!!!

Casper

Casper,
A bit off-topic I know but if you've been following the recent boat-people fiasco, I thought you might get a kick out of this:

img005.jpg

Could apply to the settlement of America as well.

Oh, BTW you beat us twice in the cricket "Ashes", the both times we Aussies played you in Britain.
I believe it's an "arranged" deal. You beat us over there and we beat you down here. Good for crowd numbers? Call me cynical.

Cheers,
A happy "chain rattler"

schnabba

Two Stroke
I've been on forums where the "general discussion" area was removed because the bickering between certain people spilled over into the forum areas where it didn't belong. TRAT was different - for the same reason people here say - the moderators in many of those forums are the problem, and they'll start out with "well, I don't want to disagree, but here is why..." - and, if you respond, at all, you get the miserable user option, etc.

I solved it by creating alternate userids and then using firefox FFVB plugins to ignore almost all the moderators that cause the problems, and a few others on there (you can ignore their posts.... the posts don't show up, if they are quoted correctly, the quotes in other's posts don't show up).

much better to browse that forum that way. I don't even see what they're saying. And I'm not missing anything! :)

Clarke

Scooter
Word of mouth is seldom wrong

Seems like everyone I spoke with after I bought the Triumph prefered this forum. They were right, it did not take long to notice the diff.

Oh I can go ON about how bad TRAT is.

I don't know how many times I got moderated for some of the stupidest shit. And it all came from the username "Wombat." (I don't give a rat's ass if the moderators on here mod me for bringing up his name)

The first one...he made me change my location because I said "Whale's Vagina" (in reference to the movie Anchorman). I persisted saying its from that movie and asked how it was offensive. He did not answer my question, but rather forced me to change it. I PM'd back the "rolled eyes" emoticon and changed it

The second one...he removed a thread when I mentioned finding some good info at www.triumph675.net for info regarding the Daytona. He said the TRAT forum has a wealth of knowledge and that bringing up another forum is bad taste. I PM'd back saying it was all in good intentions and that no, sorry...the TRAT forum did not have the info a member was looking for. I then said whats bad taste is moderating all my posts when there is nothing blatetenly wrong such as cursing, flaming, or anything controversial.

The third one...and I cannot believe this...is mentioning another bike outside of Triumph...I really can't believe it.

For the longest time I wanted to join this forum, but needed a non-gmail or non-hotmail address. When I switched jobs I finally got my own work email address. Needless to say I LOVE this forum for anything Bonneville related.

Some of the members on the TRAT forum can be dicks too. When I posted a rant forum about my crashes...a bunch of them were telling me to hang up the keys. When in reality...I ride track at a Level III/ A Group pace. Some of the members I feel are just nothing but TOOLS.

When I joined this forum, I labeled TRAT as "Big Brother"

Bonafide

NBR founder
Oh I can go ON about how bad TRAT is.

I don't know how many times I got moderated for some of the stupidest shit. And it all came from the username "Wombat." (I don't give a rat's ass if the moderators on here mod me for bringing up his name)

I'm the only 'mod' here - and as far as I'm concerned, you can call him Chicken Fucker - just dont get obsessed with it. ;)

:sheephqr:

I'm the only 'mod' here - and as far as I'm concerned, you can call him Chicken Fucker - just dont get obsessed with it. ;)

:sheephqr:

LOL...thanks...you are the man...or The Dude. This forum is the true meaning of "True Anarchy" (without all the bad shit that is usually associated with it).