988 stroker motor dyno run.

mikenva

Rocker
john that is the best looking bonnie yet you did good man.What pipes are they look like the d&ds full race with out mufflers

ThruxTonUp

TT Racer
john that is the best looking bonnie yet you did good man.What pipes are they look like the d&ds full race with out mufflers

Thanks Mike, They are the D&D full race, I put the mega phones on tonight, as I'm waiting for another set of baffled ones to go on the bike - these are ridiculously loud.

ThruxTonUp

TT Racer
I'll email y'all with a plan.

Hey Joel - email me a new email address - the one you gave kept getting kicked back. The soccer one.

ThruxTonUp

TT Racer
Well we got our ass kicked by the FCR carbs and D&D full race pipes - could not get the jetting close to save our lives. Bike stuttered, bucked, stalled, stumbled and ran like total shit. We both have little to no knowledge (me No, Fred little) sbout tuning all the different parts of the FCR's. On the plus side even with the bike totally outta whack we made 103 RWHP and 70.6 torque. Whats even cooler is we made 8-9 foot pounds more at 3000 with the new cams.

Speaking of which the cam grinders screwed up the cam order - Fred had them working on a speed triple set at the same time - long story short - the specs got reversed at the cam grinders and we ended up with the speed triple specs. So while we have it we'll test it. So far it's looking good. The new D&D baffled mega phones will be here today - so tuning should be much eaiser. But Fred now grows tired of the FCR so finally the PSI's will be going on :cheer:. The monster UNI's have arrived and fit perfect.
CIMG1891.jpg

Fred - not real happy about working with these FCR's.
CIMG1889.jpg

The chart from last nights run - air fuel was totally whacked out so it's disappointing, but promising at the same time. :huh: You can see the ultra lean dip at the bottom from lack of fuel, and the top HP line is stuttering do to excess fuel at the top end. Oh well, no sense spending at lot of time tuning mufflers that will not be on the bike again.
CIMG1893.jpg

Last edited:

mikenva

Rocker
hey john or fred do me a favor check and see what the out side dia. of where the filter mounts on those psi.I might can make us something better for the 42mm mikunis that fits them big uni filters .Are they about the same lenght as the other uni filters? Man i like them filters carlos did me a favor turning me on to them.All my rich on top problems are gone.Will get it back on the dyno in next few weeks i hope we will see how much it helped.
I dont know shit about the frc carbs ether but i think there is a kinda trade off when your working with flat slide carbs on our motors.Vac drops so much when you first open them up you got to be rich enough to get it to take off right but if you go to big on the main it will be pig rich on top.I took mine and found out the smallest main that it wouldnt pick up on let off,but that was to lean at low rpm wot to make bike take off ,I whent up 1 jet size at a time till it would take off right.On the road it will break your arm but on the dyno it might bog a little I think you need to do both dyno and road test ,loads are not the same on the dyno as they are on the road(I think the dyno puts more load on it)less load less hp/ft/lbs needed on low end(beside the way these thing take off you wont see the low end but in 1st gear anyway in haul ass mode it wont see under 7000rpm if you shift fast any way after you shift it into 2nd.One other thing once you wack it open only the main jets and pumps afect it much anyway.The niddles and other shit are for part throttle.

Last edited:

ThruxTonUp

TT Racer
hey john or fred do me a favor check and see what the out side dia. of where the filter mounts on those psi.I might can make us something better for the 42mm mikunis that fits them big uni filters .Are they about the same lenght as the other uni filters? Man i like them filters carlos did me a favor turning me on to them.All my rich on top problems are gone.Will get it back on the dyno in next few weeks i hope we will see how much it helped.

These Uni's fit a 2.5 inch OD carb fitting. They are the longest they sell. Got mine from Bike bandit. Belive they are 3" by 6" with a rubber boot to fit a 2.5 OD carb and a spring inside to prevent colapse.

The FCR's are complex - there is even one screw adjusment that affects the entire range! The procedure is similar to the Miks - do your main first and work your way down - we figured why bother tuning when it will be no good with the new mufflers anyway.

mikenva

Rocker
Thanks john yea i think the ones i got are like2 1/4 by 4 inches long ,I think what makes these fliters work so good is they let air in the back unlike k&ns.Thats a long filter hope you can get them to clear everything.They maybe the ticket with some custom filter adap. that blend the radius at the rear of the 42mms.Cold weather is coming time to play with this then.Any of yall come up with some ideas that might help us i got 2 cnc lathes and a cnc bridgeport mill that arent doing much these days we can make some shit up and take a wack at it lol.

ThruxTonUp

TT Racer
Thanks john yea i think the ones i got are like2 1/4 by 4 inches long ,I think what makes these fliters work so good is they let air in the back unlike k&ns.Thats a long filter hope you can get them to clear everything..

They fit with no problem they bend and flex as needed - not like trying to stuff a K&N in there. I'm switching to my these on my Thrux too and hooking up the accell pumps as well on the HSR 42. We made 6 RWHP taking the K&N's off Scott's bike. The UNI's so far seem to have no effect as far as HP loss - Dyno numbers the same with or with-out filters. The PSI / Uni combo has a nice smooth transition - unlike the Mikuni set-up. Be nice if you could work something up.