2009 Bonneville - some nice modifications....

2KLBUP

Scooter
<<I guess for me the 70s wasn't a great design era.>>
Certainly agreed.
Not the shining point in the history of the Trumpet.

casper

Two Stroke
<<I guess for me the 70s wasn't a great design era.>>
Certainly agreed.
Not the shining point in the history of the Trumpet.

Mind you the 70s were so crass that it was a case of being so uncool things actually became cool....if you see what i mean.

The British bike industry glory days had passed (by the 70s) and all I could really consider in the mid 1970s was either Japanese or in my case as I was poor a CZ or an MZ (from the communist Eastern bloc). These MZ machines were not too bad considering and even the CZs had a rustic charm.

As for the new Bonnevilles well beauty is in the eye of the beholder eh? Personally I quite like the look. But as Triumph make so many exports from their classics maybe as I mentioned they could consider a lighter 650cc twin with real handling ability , make one as a true off road scrambler and the other an on road lighter take on the existing bonnies?

By the way just saw the film 'The Fastest Indian', it brought tears to my eyes. What a sweet film and apparently fairly true to the actual story too.

Casper :)

Xchoppers

Two Stroke
Really? Bummer. Oh well. I like cast wheels for the precise reason you specify, as well as reduced unsprung weight, little to no maintenance, increased high speed safety, etc.
I will wait patiently, hoping that Triumph puts out an 18" or 19" cast front wheel though.
Cheers-
+1 :cheers:

Leedsharlequin

Two Stroke
No it's the standard Bonneville. The SE in addition has a tacho, polished aluminium engine covers and a 'metal' tank badge. The T100 is as before

Personally I like the new look, although it is a parts bin special in many ways. But that's what Triumph always used to do, so no change there. There's something about it which reminds me of the old air-cooled Yamaha RD400. Personally I hate having to clean spoked wheels, so wouldn't miss that chore at all. And being short, the lowered seat height is a bonus, although I coped perfectly well with the standard setup in the past.

I agree about the brake reservoir though.

Andy

.:stupid3: Before tradin the FJR on the T100 I was gonna buy this on Ebay, but bottled it:loser:
ddef_3.jpg

2KLBUP

Scooter
Casper,
My 1970 T100C Trophy weighed 330LBS wet, and handled a darn sight better than my new Bonnie, and its brakes, whilst mechanical drum front and rear, stopped the bike better than the crappy discs we have now. It didn't have the power of the new Bonnie, but I have to say, it's one of the few bikes I've owned (and I've had more than a few) that I REALLY wish I still had. What a little gem she was...

drlapo

Hooligan
I purchased my Bonneville new in 1979, and it's never been out of service. I ride it everyday, weather permitting, of course
it definitely revs quicker and harder than my new Thruxton
although it has disc brakes on each wheel they are not as good as the new brakes
it is more nimble than the Thruxton but is not as steady at higher
although it is a one kick starter, the button is of course easier
my 79 is relatively smooth but the Thruxton is much smoother and much more enjoyable at highway speeds
neither one uses any oil
they are both very good machines, but the Thruxton is definitely a much more modern bike
I also have a speed triple, but that's an entirely different beast

casper

Two Stroke
Casper,
My 1970 T100C Trophy weighed 330LBS wet, and handled a darn sight better than my new Bonnie, and its brakes, whilst mechanical drum front and rear, stopped the bike better than the crappy discs we have now. It didn't have the power of the new Bonnie, but I have to say, it's one of the few bikes I've owned (and I've had more than a few) that I REALLY wish I still had. What a little gem she was...

Interesting comment, thanks.

Triumph should maybe consider a lighter, sharp handling and overall nimbler 'classic' machine in my view.

Why the new Bonnevilles (and I like them by the way) have to be quite so heavy I'm not sure. If you look at the old Bonnevilles/Trophy's etc side by side to the new Bonnevilles the old ones look tiny. OK they did have narrow kamikaze tyres (the old ones that is) but even so there seems to be so much more weight on the Hinckley Bonnies.

There has to be another old/modern synthesis Triumph can do. I like my Scrambler but I just wish it was a little lighter and for me a couple of inches shorter.

Casper :)

ivar

TT Racer
Why the new Bonnevilles (and I like them by the way) have to be quite so heavy I'm not sure.
Heavy, sturdy steel frame + a massive engine. And heavy wheels.
Probably because its much cheaper to build than cro-mo frame, magnesium engine castings and alloy wheels....?

Iceseven

750cc
Like Casper I would like the Scrambler to be lighter, I am still overjoyed with my Scram and really have no major complaints with it, just maybe a diet and a little more juice.

It just seems like Triumph should build a classic range bike with a little more fire and edge to it instead of just cosmetic changes to follow the seventies. My old 74 Trident (when it worked) would haul ass and had a nice edgey feel.

There is so much potential with the Bonnie platform that they should really push the design further. I think that they should offer a flattrack style tank as an option.

BonneBray

Scooter
I'll pass too. That thing is fugly. I had a '07 Bonneville and that thing was classic looking...until a Mercedes ran me over. :mad:

AndyB

moped
.:stupid3: Before tradin the FJR on the T100 I was gonna buy this on Ebay, but bottled it:loser:
ddef_3.jpg

Sweeet!! looking Yammy there. Back in the seventies we all lusted after a middleweight stroker, so much more fun than four strokes until the Honda 400/4 arrived that is. My girlfriend actually owned a Kawa KH250, and still gets misty eyed over the triples!

Regards

Andy

Ben Quick

Street Tracker
The cast wheels are ok ( spokes are classic) but the small front wheel is just WRONG. It does not work on a Bonnie.

Xchoppers

Two Stroke
I bought a Suzuki GT-380 two stroke triple in 1972.
It burned up the center cylinder rings in only 16,000 miles.
What a P.O.S.
The next bike I bought was a 1975 Honda K5 750/4.
That was a great bike!
I rode it 86,000 miles.

bonZa

Street Tracker
Looks good to me, but much prefer spoked wheels.

A buxom good looking blonde sitting on it would do wonders

bdavanza

Street Tracker
I'm sure that some are wondering what Triumph charges for a set of these cast wheels.
I kind of like them for that '79 bonnie special look, but I like the standard looking tank badges better. The seat doesn't look a whole lot different to me but I know a lot of chicks that are "inseam challenged" have a hard time finding a bike they can reach that's over 500cc. Parts bin indeed.
So I'll have to agree. Triumph should make a "proper" Thruxton with some significant upgrades, in power and handling, something to bring it closer to the Ducati Sport classic line. And they should release a lighter, smaller displacement twin, like a real mean 650 that weighs 100lbs less.
eh they probably figure folks will just buy a street triple but Twins have a real motorcycle appeal