Polished swingarm

strokerlmt

So I can't even look at a $1000 polished swingarm. So I got the $49.00 special from PINWALLS. My "stupid" question for you all is.....what kind of metal is this. It looks like it could polish up. But if it a certain type of metal won't it rust? Anyway as always would appreciate any thoughts or advice...thx
LMT

Attachments

• IMG_5473.jpg
    IMG_5473.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5475.jpg
    IMG_5475.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5474.jpg
    IMG_5474.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5476.jpg
    IMG_5476.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5477.jpg
    IMG_5477.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 0

Nick Morey

Rocker
My best guess would be some kind of steel maybe even forged, it will probably rust if it isn't clear coated as arctic mentioned.

nohawk

Rocker
Yeah Nick you are right, I forgot that rodburner is going to keep the swingarm pivot and part of the box section and weld his new tube part to it, it's got to be steel.

strokerlmt

Magnet sticks to it. So steel......it seems to polish and has faded in a couple of hours so I believe it will need clear coat...several coats ......quickly in order to maintain luster. Never done this before so kind of an experiment. Thx for the insight.
LMT

dschief

750cc
Does anyone know of a mfg/dealer of aluminum swing arms? I can find them all day for my old bikes, but haven't seen any yet for these new Triumphs.

rodburner

Rocker
Hawk,the stock arm weighs 14lbs. My braced monoshock arm is over 20lbs and thats why its getting replaced.The round tube will probably be more than 14 also [.120 wall/1.5" tubes],but still less than 20.

strokerlmt

Steve.........the steel polishes up......but it fades very quickly......not like aluminum which holds luster. Do you think it can be clear coated fast enough to hold the shine ????
LMT

Nick Morey

Rocker
...it seems to polish and has faded in a couple of hours so I believe it will need clear coat...several coats ......quickly in order to maintain luster. Never done this before so kind of an experiment. Thx for the insight.
LMT

They polish cores and cavities for our molds at work to reach mirror finishes in our tool room from hardened steel, the more it's polished the less it will fade as oxygen can't get into such a smooth surface to dull it... You will still need clear coating to protect it, of course.

rodburner

Rocker
It can,I think,but I'm guessing it will eventually darken up.Is there a "clear" powder coat? Can you maybe wipe it down with some Gibbs oil/penetrant after polishing? That would remove the black polishing residue and protect the metal from corrosion.

it's mild steel and will rust. Clear powder won't be perfect forever. It will eventually rust under the clear. My advice would be to powder coat it "chrome" which looks more like polished aluminum and will be a durable finish.

nohawk

Rocker
Nope. But the place that does it by my girls work told me to bring by whatever I had like it was no big deal and by the looks of their facility it doesn't look like they make a huge amount of money. I have no idea really, what would it cost you think? I would like to see chrome powdercoat though.

the cost involved in chroming is high as a camel's ass due to the EPA and also the labor involved in polishing the part prior to plating (prep). If the part isn't polished perfectly the chrome plate will look like shit. If they plated a stock swingarm without polishing it first it would look like hell.