Fork spacers

Mike M

Scooter
Does anyone who has shortend their fork spacers know what the diameter is? And if you used PVC for spacers, what size and thickness did you use? Thanks, Mike.

coopv2

Street Tracker
Im pretty sure the internal diameter of the 41mm tube will accept 1.1/4" heavy wall underground PVC pipe, we have orange stuff here in OZ, just to help you with the easy install, a good idea when you pull the old spacer out, add about 3/4" to the length for the new spacer. but before you put it in and try to screw the plug back in... use a fine tip marker to put a vertical mark at the top of the fork tube, outside. screw in the plug a little, then carefully unscrew, and at the point where the plug comes free from the tube, put a new mark on the plug where it corresponds to the mark on the tube.
You will now know where the thread starts on both parts.
that way while you are fighting to push down the new spacer and catch the thread, you will be on the money. also it may help to fit a socket and extension bar so you have plenty of shaft to grab, pull or push down, and turn all at the same time.
And I will add the obvious just in case. if doing it on the bike, jack the front up with the wheel just touching the ground, and only do one at a time.
An old friend took both caps off and no jack. Ha, bike fell over, LOL

I made one of these for my Sabre...it gives you lots of leverage and control when installing your fork caps. I started out by squaring off the end of a socket, then made a T handle out of an old extention. Its very easy to use your arm to push in, while twisting the handle at the same time. By the way, I'm new to the site, so "Hi" to all. :wave:

231704557_tDcLZ-S.jpg

231704589_rGx8q-S.jpg

Flaco

750cc
I made one of these for my Sabre...it gives you lots of leverage and control when installing your fork caps. I started out by squaring off the end of a socket, then made a T handle out of an old extention. Its very easy to use your arm to push in, while twisting the handle at the same time. By the way, I'm new to the site, so "Hi" to all. :wave:
Welcome!
Curiosity questions,
What bikes?
What guitars?
and what dogs?
Nice tool btw...

Welcome!
Curiosity questions,
What bikes?
What guitars?
and what dogs?
Nice tool btw...

What bikes? Too many to list....my first was a used '69 HD XLCH sporty I traded a (gasp) 63 split window vette for. I think I got hosed on that deal, but I was 18 and wanted a Harley or a Bonneville so bad that I'd still do it again. Over the next 39 years I've owned Harleys, Hondas, Yamahas in every style you can think of. A few favorites...1975 RD 350, 1983 750 Sabre (still got that one) 2001 Fat Boy, and my current ride an '03 Goldwing. A 2010 Bonneville T100 to come before summer will be my next ride...something I've wanted since high school.

Took up the guitar about 2 1/2 years ago and like everything else I do, I seem to have accumulated my own small music store. Favorites??? My Taylor 714CE, Seagull Maritime Gloss, Epiphone Les Paul Custom and a Pearl white Fender Strat. I play mostly acoustic (I use the word play rather loosely here) and only pull down the electrics when no one is home to listen.

As for dogs...Sophie my Golden Retreiver is my best friend second only to my wife. Unless I'm on my bike, she goes everywhere with me.

Hope my reply wasn't to long or boring. I'm sure you will all here more from me in the near future, since a T100 is in my near future. I've enjoyed all the info this site has to offer. I've gone back pages and pages, reading peoples tips, checking out their rides and starting my own list of mods. Thanks for listening. Easy.

My two current rides.
226648745_JHHyZ-S.jpg

Before my Taylor arrived.
411725284_r6Lwu-S.jpg

Sophie the pup, and Splash (RIP)

182322004_rvFqn-S.jpg

Flaco

750cc
easy,
Nice reply!
"Outside of a dog, a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Get that Bonnie!

localmotion411

Street Tracker
I'd love to see more pics of your dogs -- love me some goldens! My wife and I got ours this past summer; he was born on May 5, '09. We're going to have one hell of a Cinco de Mayo from now on every year! He is a total joy:
DSC01195.jpg

DSC01225.jpg

DSC01384.jpg

DSC01389.jpg

Last edited: