questions regarding fork tube replacement

steamfitter

Two Stroke
hi all. i have some questions regarding fork tube replacement. i have an 08 bonneville t100 and due to an idiot almost clobbering me i hit a curb with my bike. when the accident happened i made the necessary repairs which consisted of a dented rim and broken fender. at the time i didn't notice any fork problems. after taking my bike in for a color match to have a cowl custom painted the mechanic notice a slight bend in the forks. i asked how serious it was and he said the bend was VERY minor, yet it did have a bend. he told me i was probably alright to ride it till the riding season in ohio was over for the year. i rode to work and around the rest of the season and didn't notice any handling or ill effects. now that the riding season is over i would like to change the tubes and change out the springs. i also want to add fork gaiters. my question is about the fork tube change. is there anything besides the tubes that i should plan on changing? i am guessing the seals would be automatic, but anything else? i, and the mechanic, have found no damage to triple trees or anything else exterior. is there anything else inside that could give me problems? any help would be appreciated.-keith

I haven't worked on new Triumphs, but when the old ones have slightly bent fork tubes it is easy to fix.
Two "V" blocks, a block of copper or brass and a press. A dial gauge to check your work. Have raced with reworked forks with no ill effect.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
If you're feeling dicey about fixing the sliders.. you shouldn't #1, but there is an outfit called Frank's Forks who might be able to help you.:)

Rocker

Two Stroke
I would consider finding a set of used Honda CBR600f3 fork tubes complete with the internals, would give you adjustable suspension at a fraction of the price of new tubes. I actually bought new fork tubes, Race Tech springs and emulaters etc before I found out about the Honda route.The tubes are about an inch or so longer but you just slide them up the triple tree. The lowers fit on quite easily, especially if you have a mechanic that knows what he or she is doing.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Fork tubes are real easy to replace if they are the same. I imagine changing tubes leads to new brake calipers and such..

steamfitter

Two Stroke
why would they lead to changing calipers? i am just replacing the oem tubes for either oem or forks by frank. -keith

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
sorry steamfitter. I was posting quick . I meant to say; Changing forks tubes is easy, but it you change to a fork from a different bike, then you open up a few other problems such as brake caliper not fitting.

steamfitter

Two Stroke
no problem. i just need the fork tubes. i probably could just straighten them, but i would rather just buy some that are straight from the get-go.

Flaco

750cc
is there anything else inside that could give me problems? any help would be appreciated.-keith
Closely inspect the inside of the fork tube where the lower bushing seats on the damper. Often times in a incident such as yours, and as long as you have riden since, the the bushing is compromised and hence you may have "scored" or scratched the lower inside fork tube.
In that case you'll be replacing the fork tube also...
Definately replace upper bushing and dust seal...
Triumph does not sell the lower bushing seperate from the slider, however if you put a new slider in a scratched fork tube the lower bushing will wear out in no time...

Good luck...
Forks aren't cheap...
Maybe look for some used ones when guys go to F3 front ends...
Ive seen them in the classifieds in other forums also...
Fleabay?