Stuck-on Reflector Removal

RyanRobot99

Street Tracker
You know the squareish shaped reflectors on the sides of the rear fender?

They are attached with some sort of foam tape, I want them gone. What is the easiest way to get them gone without messing up the paint?

I've searched this forum twice over to see if this was already talked about... Nothing?

AceT100

Rocker
Mine fell off...with a little help :up:

Use some dental floss in a sawing motion from top to bottom between fender and reflector and when they drop off, use a little WD40 or Goop Be Gone (or whatever the stuff is called) to remove excess adhesive and voila...job done.

It helps if its warm, either leave in a warm garage or use a hairdryer to warm the area up softens the glue & makes it easier.

The front one removes as a whole by unbolting the horn.

Whole job takes 10 mins

Last edited:

whyme

TT Racer
Sometimes the goo-be-gone does not have enough time to work before it dries out. I put a piece of paper towel on it and then wet that. Without paper like a sticker it's hard to keep it wet long enough too work well.

AceT100

Rocker
Sometimes the goo-be-gone does not have enough time to work before it dries out. I put a piece of paper towel on it and then wet that. Without paper like a sticker it's hard to keep it wet long enough too work well.

Thats why I used WD40 :)

Rokkit

moped
I used a shoestring, fingernail, & cleaner wax. I've also used 8lb. monofilament fishing line as well.:fart:

Last edited:

Shiner

Scooter
I had them all over a heritage springer that i've got and I grew tired of them being called reflecturds. I second the dental floss method for easing the adhesive off. Todd in Cincy

drlapo

Hooligan
please install some manner of reflector at both the front and rear of the bike after you have removed the "ugly" ones
it really helps with visability with "cage" drivers
even reflective tape works well

whyme

TT Racer
Good idea drlapo. Being in the design profession, I'm usually all about the looks. But age has made me wiser and safety is my first concern now.

DIRK

750cc
hair dryer works good and you don't risk damaging paint, unless you put it right on the body work. also works for the stickers on the tank be gentle is the watch word always