My pipes project

So I decided I didnt like my Bonnie sounding like a sewing machine anymore so I figured i would do something about it. I dont have the money for any over high performance exhaust systems out there, plus, im not a fan of the big cones so i decided to do something a little different, and I am super happy with how it turned out. Here is what i did.

So i took off the mufflers and to cut the raspiness a little bit and add a bit of back pressure i added 4" slip in baffles. It doest do much, but the sound is a bit calmer. I know i lost low end without a muffler, the baffles added a little of that back bu not much.

Exhaust003.jpg

Then, to make the pipes the length i wanted, i added a 6" piece of exhaust pipe, painted flat black, and clamped everything into place.

Exhaust007.jpg

I love the look of heat wrapped pipes, so to complete the old, bare bones cafe look, i went with white wrap. Here they are drying in my basement.

Exhaust028.jpg

And here they are on the bike. Its not the greatest pic but i finished the job late at night and the lighting on my porch isnt the best. Once the rest of my mods are done I will have better pics.

Exhaust036.jpg

Still need to get the new software to compensate for the open pipes, but as of now I am very happy with them. Comments are welcome.

Thats on the list of things to do. I didnt realize that my shed would cause my bike to rust over the winter. There is so much oxidation on it that i was almost sick when i first discovered it. Trust me, it will receive many many hours of clean up.

AceT100

Rocker
thats On The List Of Things To Do. I Didnt Realize That My Shed Would Cause My Bike To Rust Over The Winter. :eek: There Is So Much Oxidation On It That I Was Almost Sick When I First Discovered It. Trust Me, It Will Receive Many Many Hours Of Clean Up.

It happens.....even here in sunny California :lol:

ge-or-ge

Scooter
Seat cowl on SE seat?

Newbonnierider:
I've got a 2009 standard black too.

I like how the pipes and the grips accent each other.

Is the seat cowl you have on there attached to the stock bonneville (SE) seat?

I was told that it would not work, but always thought that there could be some ways around that; like drilling my own holes, or attaching some elastic fabric bands and screwing to the seat pan underneath.

Let me know what you did, or did you buy a new seat?

Newbonnierider:
I've got a 2009 standard black too.

I like how the pipes and the grips accent each other.

Is the seat cowl you have on there attached to the stock bonneville (SE) seat?

I was told that it would not work, but always thought that there could be some ways around that; like drilling my own holes, or attaching some elastic fabric bands and screwing to the seat pan underneath.

Let me know what you did, or did you buy a new seat?

Its actually a Thruxton seat, but the only thing that hold the cowl on is a small screw on either side. that and there is a tab at the back of the cowl that goes under the back of the seat, dont know if that is the same as the SE seat or not, i got that seat within the first 100 miles of owning the bike.

DIRK

750cc
maybe next yr you cover it and put several bags of moisture adsorbing materials in it. your local triumph dealer gets 4/5 with each bike. i bet you could have them for next to nothing!

Update, if your interested

So yesterday i finally got around tuning my bike for these pipes. I went to the dealer and had them download the TOR tune. I know its not what needs to be done to optimize performance, but hey, right now, $20 is better then spending $600. But I was very surprised by the results. The "snatchy" throttle is all but gone, low end power is back, and all backfireing on deceleration has stopped. You can hear and feel the bike running smoother. So for now, I am very happy!

that looks fn' awesome! definitly gonna steal your idea :rolleyes: maybe with some turn outs and darker tan wrap... on my blue and white would look sweet.