Whats the disadvantage to an airbox removal kit?

drlapo

Hooligan
Forgive me if I'm reading wrong. But the airbox removed is the blue line... There is about 5 horse power added.

Isn't the airbox removal best deal?

HP is cool but Torque is king
plus i won't have to listen to the intake roar if I just remove the shelf

RyanRobot99

Street Tracker
To remove - or not to remove. This is the question.

Now I'm more confused!

I might just get an K&N Filter and call it a day.

*sigh*

whyme

TT Racer
When I got my bike it had TORS. The seller said he did not do anything with the jets. I have a suspicion that it is not running it's best. Would a K&N or UNI help "even out" with is happening with the reduced back pressure from the TORS?? I was going to remove the box but I'd much rather save the money and work.

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
When I got my bike it had TORS. The seller said he did not do anything with the jets. I have a suspicion that it is not running it's best. Would a K&N or UNI help "even out" with is happening with the reduced back pressure from the TORS?? I was going to remove the box but I'd much rather save the money and work.

If you have TORS and stock jetting, your problem is only going to get worse as you open up the intake side. You're already lean, and that will make you leaner. You need bigger jets for TORS with the stock airbox (I'd go 120/122 (or 122/125 with no snorkle) on the mains and 42 on the pilots). Take the airbox off all the way and you're talking 142+ mains, possibly 45 pilots depending on how you like to tune. I'm running 150 mains, possibly a tad rich but I was way lean at 140 mains and didn't have a set of 145s handy.

The good news is that rejetting is really pretty, and tuning your own bike is fun.

whyme

TT Racer
Ok thanks BlueJ. This may be a job for the dealer. I hate working on carbs... especially something I want to ride as often as I can without tinkering. This was the reason I got a newer bike but with the classic styling.

Although the way it usually goes is I get a price for the work and that scares me into doing it myself!

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
Well if you've worked on them before that's half the battle. Easy peasy to get them off, relatively. Depends on the value of your time - you can get them all the way off, rejetted, and back on inside of an hour if you have the tools and study the situation first. Takes me an hour to get to the dealer and back, if I go fast.

whyme

TT Racer
Just a few small Honda carbs. Just rebuilds with kits. One carb I gave up on and had the Honda dealer tune it correctly. And I swore it was something else! I'll check it out in the spring. Maybe I'll bring it down to Maryland??!! Thanks for all of your input.

taw1126

Scooter
This may be a job for the dealer. I hate working on carbs... especially something I want to ride as often as I can without tinkering.
I had absolutely NO experience playing with carbs and got my Scrambler re-jetted without problem. Do a quick internet search and you'll find plenty of helpful sites (with lots of photos) that are specific to the Bonneville family.

This is the one I used:
http://www.dinqua.com/Triumph/carbs1.html

Remove your AI system if it hasn't already been removed, and buy the replacement stainless fasteners when you get your jets.

With TORS (now Hydes), new main jets, and the snorkel pulled I got an amazing boost in power. Way, way better than stock.

the carbs are easy. The jetting has been pretty well figured out already, so you'll have a known range of jet sizes to play with. Don't be scared!

ivar

TT Racer
Amongst the order is the BRITISH CUSTOMS AIRBOX REMOVAL KIT.

I have a question about the down side of this kit, Is there one?!

I'm still new to bikes... I've seen before and after performance dyno tests. Its amazing what opening up the air can do.

So, what's the down side? There has to be a reason they come with an airbox.

As someone pointed out , one potential downside is that the bike may run slightly less consistent in certain conditions.

But - I've never, ever heard of someone putting the stock airbox back in...!
Anyone..?

drlapo

Hooligan
As someone pointed out , one potential downside is that the bike may run slightly less consistent in certain conditions.

But - I've never, ever heard of someone putting the stock airbox back in...!
Anyone..?

yes, I reinstalled the air box on my 83 Moto Guzzi LeMans after running seperate K&N pods too much noise with the pods and they got wet too easily
same with my 76 RD400: way too much noise
I do have twin UNI filters on my T140 but that is because the stock air box leaked too much; they are on "extensions" that put them behind the side covers:cheer:

RyanRobot99

Street Tracker
I have the airbox eliminator now... I think im going to hold off on installing till i can find some one with a tune boy who can tune the bike properly.

I dont want to have the bike run bad by putting the arrow 2into2 triumph map.

I wonder if there would be any damage caused in doing that?

Curse you EFI.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
ok :)
I was thinking of the Hinckley Bonnie/Thrux/Scram :cheers:
JohnyC from Scotland installed pods on his Sram and decided to gut the box on this new EFI bonny instead of going the full route. He did gut both sides of the airbox however and remove the baffle. This combo flows almost but not quite as well as a pod equipped bike. Airbox versus pod debates are waged on every single motorcycle forum out there. There are pros and cons to each.
To the guy who doesn't mind a loudish intake roar, pods make sense to me. If you don't ride with quiet-ish pipes like Tors, then the intake roar is less obtrusive...in other words the noise of the pipes masks the intake honk. I prefer the airbox with baffle removed for my bike as I don't like the sound of the intake opened up which sounds like flipping the air cleaner on a 70's carbed car...lol. The box is there for a lot of reasons and a big one is noise.
Lastly, the more you build the motor, the more it makes sense to go to pods so the bike will get the air that it needs. With a stock bike and just pipes, the airbox slightly carved works fine and isn't as loud. The nice thing about removing the airbox baffle on bonnies, its reversible.
Pieman is widely respected and his dyno testing show that removing the baffle has a surprisinging improvement in hp with no loss in torque. Lack of torque loss seems to belie why it exists other then to abate the sound harmonic, but that seems to be the case. Drlapo running pods and then going back to an airbox because he didn't like the sound on his other bike makes sense to me. I have done this on other bikes as well. To me the sound signature of the bike is as important as extracting the small amount of power increase over 5K RPM but to others, horsepower gains are appreciated and the sound doesn't bother them.

Last edited:

ivar

TT Racer
I clearly understand that some will find the intake noise too much with pods.

For myself, the wind noise drowns out both the intake roar and Dominators, so I use earplugs most of the time. Just got a new helmet , hope its less noisy than the old one

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
I clearly understand that some will find the intake noise too much with pods.

For myself, the wind noise drowns out both the intake roar and Dominators, so I use earplugs most of the time. Just got a new helmet , hope its less noisy than the old one
I wonder what kind of helmet you ride? Not for me. My helmet btw is a full face Arai Profile. Yes I can hear the wind to be sure but also the intake and exhaust sound separately. Also, riding into the wind, the intake and exhaust are clearly louder. I hate riding with ear plugs and the reason I don't have my bike set up loud. I find them to be a nuisance to take in and out. They are good for long trips however. The other issue with ear plugs is...if they aren't seated properly, they don't work very well. To me the tradeoff between a loud bike, wearing earplugs and the less than handful of horsepower gains up near redline only just isn't worth it. Have been there and done that.

Last edited:

RyanRobot99

Street Tracker
It helps...

I just made the appointment to have my EFI remapped for the pods next saturday.

So sunday ill have a full report how the PODS handle on an EFI thruxton.