another CB750 project ..

Bonafide

NBR founder
Took the CB out for about 100 miles today to make sure it's all tight/right for Deb. She's still yet to ride it - weather has been sucky for the past couple days and today she had to work.

I snapped a few pics ...

attachment.php

Attachments

• 72_cb750_nov09.jpg
    72_cb750_nov09.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 72_cb750_nov09_2.jpg
    72_cb750_nov09_2.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 72_cb750_nov09_3.jpg
    72_cb750_nov09_3.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 72_cb750_nov09_4.jpg
    72_cb750_nov09_4.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 72_cb750_nov09_5.jpg
    72_cb750_nov09_5.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 0

Bonafide

NBR founder
If you don't mind me asking what was the total cost for the project?

I havent figured it all up (and probably shouldnt), but with the cost of the bike included .. it's probably something like $4500-5000.

It's my expensive taste that runs the cost up. $300 in powdercoating. The new tank & side covers w/paint were $800. The rear sets were $300. New seat I think was $400. $250 in new tires. New spokes were $200. New forks $140. New chain $100, the K&N air filters ... sheesh .. it starts adding up.

Then I have limited mechanical skills - so I had to pay labor costs for the wheels, tuning, etc.

koifarm

Hooligan
She's looking mighty sweet Dude, must be a total hoot to ride knowing it's an old classic in pristine shape...
Cost isn't really an issue, it's the passion to get the bike where you want it that counts....and you have counted well.....

Bonniebret

Rocker
I havent figured it all up (and probably shouldnt), but with the cost of the bike included .. it's probably something like $4500-5000.

It's my expensive taste that runs the cost up. $300 in powdercoating. The new tank & side covers w/paint were $800. The rear sets were $300. New seat I think was $400. $250 in new tires. New spokes were $200. New forks $140. New chain $100, the K&N air filters ... sheesh .. it starts adding up.

Then I have limited mechanical skills - so I had to pay labor costs for the wheels, tuning, etc.

Ha! I know what you're saying. In the end the bike ends up being the cheapest part!

Bonafide

NBR founder
Beautiful. Tastefully built.
How does it perform say compared to a modern day bonny or Thrux?

Thanks ... pretty much feels like an older version of the modern Bonnie. Meaning ... it feels very close (to me) - just not as 'crisp' or 'new'. The brakes work great - but they're not as 'crisp' feeling as my Bonnie. The throttle is there - but heavier feeling ... and this old inline four has a completely different power-band. You need to keep it up higher in the RPMs as it doesn't have the grunt of a Bonnie. Handling .. it actually feels more flick-able than the Bonnie.I've already scrapped the exhaust in a right-hander.

otherwise - here's the right peg assembly.

And, Deb fixing to take her first ride (to work) yesterday.

Attachments

• rearsets.jpg
    rearsets.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 0
  • deb_nov2509.jpg
    deb_nov2509.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 0

D9

Vendor
Great job... gorgeous CB! So many details to appreciate about the design
of the bike - enhanced even further by the tasteful & well-executed mods. One of the big ones is how the bottom of the tank aligns with the bottom of the seat... so clean, linear & looks fast just standing still. Congrats & I'm sure Deb was knocked out by
one helluva birthday present :D

attachment.php

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Thanks ... pretty much feels like an older version of the modern Bonnie. Meaning ... it feels very close (to me) - just not as 'crisp' or 'new'. The brakes work great - but they're not as 'crisp' feeling as my Bonnie. The throttle is there - but heavier feeling ... and this old inline four has a completely different power-band. You need to keep it up higher in the RPMs as it doesn't have the grunt of a Bonnie. Handling .. it actually feels more flick-able than the Bonnie.I've already scrapped the exhaust in a right-hander.

otherwise - here's the right peg assembly.

And, Deb fixing to take her first ride (to work) yesterday.

You're a lucky man Bonafide. I can see the smile in her eyes. :)
I haven't ridden one in years. I know you really know the CB bikes and so wanted an honest assessment of how the bike that stole the market from the Meridian Triumph, stacks up against its replacement. I thought the power delivery of the CB750 was a bit more linear but its been a long time. What is really telling about how motorcycling has changed is...the CB750 in its day was a rocketship among motorcycles and yet you say if anything the latter day Bonnie has better power. Funny how many obsess about building the power of the Hinkley bonnie and yet in stock form with pipes it is notably stronger than the original. Times change but one thing doesn't...that CB has timeless beauty and that inline masterpiece no doubt still sings a beautiful song. Mr. Honda was a remarkable man.
Ride safe.

Last edited: