Show your guitars

Gretsch

Rocker
What do you call a room full of banjo pickers? A target!
What is the first thing you throw to a banjo picker when he falls overboard?
The anchor!
What's the difference between a trampoline and a banjo?
You take your shoes off to jump up and down on the trampoline!
What is the difference between a roadkilled armadillo and a banjo picker laying in the road?
There are skid marks in front of the Armadillo!
Whats the difference between a banjo and a chainsaw?
The chainsaw has a dynamic range!
And finally what's the difference between a banjo and an onion?
Nobody cries when you cut up a banjo!
I could go on......but....
Thanks Gretsch I do love old time music though and the five string is a versatile little instrument, has good sound and easy frets....
Pm me if your interested in the Augie....
koi

I'll have to post a pic of my banjo too. I'd love to pick up that Augie but it's one more thing to humidify (you CO boys know what I'm talking about). I'm into Bluegrass & play, or try to anyway, Scruggs style.

Irish and Bluegrass music. A match made in Heaven...or hell....depending on how you feel about the 5 string. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByYSkRGrMqw&feature=related

Last edited:

koifarm

Hooligan
Know what you mean Gretsch, and now, Irish Bluegrass.....hmmmm....that's twisty....I never could get used to Irish, too fast and complicated, I prefer the mindless repetition of Old Tyme music, Old Joe Clark, Over the waterfall, and all those classic Appalachian fiddle/banjo styles of music.....
What's the difference between an Uzi and a banjo? The Uzi only repeats 40 times...

Kirkus51

Hooligan
Nice pics! I have a friend who builds acoustic guitars and sells "Fender" bodies. Scared to ask him what kind of money he gets for one of his guitars.

Being a pudgy digited klutz I don't play an instrument.

Gretsch

Rocker
All this Banjo talk got me so exited I dusted off the old resonator and picked a few tunes. Banjos aint just bolts people!

Last edited:

Dave

Street Tracker
here's my Ibanez bass

guitar.jpg

Uncle Fat

Scooter
the fam

Here's mine:

L to R:
1. Ashbory "Rubber band mini-bass" (on the piano)
2. cheap-o strat copy (I'm not a twanger, but I like to throw the occasional chords down on top of my recorded bass parts)
3. 2008 Fender Jazz V American Deluxe (5-string fretted)
4. 1997 Carvin LB76f (6-string fretless)
5. Yamaha (don't know the model or year) 5-string.
6. 2006 Bulgarian 5-string upright (Low B option).

basses.jpg

uncle fat, how do you like the Carvin? I've eye-humped their catalogs for years but never held one of their axes. Those are some damned fine basses you have.

nice Ibanez Bass Dave! I think Ibanez makes a great playing and sounding bass, esp for the price. I love my SDGR 400. It's good for the slappin' and poppin'!

Uncle Fat

Scooter
uncle fat, how do you like the Carvin? I've eye-humped their catalogs for years but never held one of their axes. Those are some damned fine basses you have.

Thanks! I love the Carvin. I had only tried one when I ordered it, so I wasn't too sure, but it ended up being better than I had hoped. First off, you get to pick your wood, pickups, finish, hardware, etc... etc... and the price is still on par with decent mass-produced instruments (and they're made in the States). It was my main gig bass for 7 or 8 years (now I use the Jazz 5-er for most things) . Really love it.

Right now it's strung F# B E A D G. The F# is something like 22hz. It's not so much heard as it is felt through the floor. I'll probably go back to standard B E A D G C tuning soon though. Kinda hard to find a good place for sub-sonic notes :headbang2:

Dave

Street Tracker
nice Ibanez Bass Dave! I think Ibanez makes a great playing and sounding bass, esp for the price. I love my SDGR 400. It's good for the slappin' and poppin'!

I agree, the price combined with the sound with those active pick ups really sold it for me! Great for a first bass, maybe my next one will be a Fender P-Bass.

Flaco

750cc
Here's mine:

L to R:
1. Ashbory "Rubber band mini-bass" (on the piano)
2. cheap-o strat copy (I'm not a twanger, but I like to throw the occasional chords down on top of my recorded bass parts)
3. 2008 Fender Jazz V American Deluxe (5-string fretted)
4. 1997 Carvin LB76f (6-string fretless)
5. Yamaha (don't know the model or year) 5-string.
6. 2006 Bulgarian 5-string upright (Low B option).

basses.jpg

Almost bought one of those Bulgarian Basses from Gollihur Music...
How do you you like it?
p.m. me if you like...
Bought a Bonnie instead...
My lead guitarist play's 7 string guitar Benedeto.

My upright is a '73, YES SUZUKI! which I removed the top and shaved the solid spruce sound board and wow does she growl withe the Thomastic Spirocores! Oh Yeah. I still use the Don Underwood pick up that I got in '77...

Polytone amps rule!

Uncle Fat

Scooter
Almost bought one of those Bulgarian Basses from Gollihur Music...
How do you you like it?
p.m. me if you like...
Bought a Bonnie instead...
My lead guitarist play's 7 string guitar Benedeto.

My upright is a '73, YES SUZUKI! which I removed the top and shaved the solid spruce sound board and wow does she growl withe the Thomastic Spirocores! Oh Yeah. I still use the Don Underwood pick up that I got in '77...

Polytone amps rule!

I got mine from Gollihur. Nice enough guy and the delivery was right about when he said it would be. It's actually a pretty great bass for the price. I'm still pretty much an electric player so it doesn't have too many miles on it. Even my luthier was surprised by the quality for such a low priced bass. My only complaint is that it's a little stiff (due to being so new, probably) and it's not as loud as I'd like, but that's probably because I've got the stock strings on it... (made for playing arco). One day I'll get around to putting some new strings on it, but... dayum... upright strings ain't cheap :wtf:

One day I'll get around to putting some new strings on it, but... dayum... upright strings ain't cheap :wtf:

when I was in college, I'd already been playing guitar for about 8-10 years and bass for 2-3 years, I really wanted to get an upright. I started researching pricing and that put a quick stop to the upright dream. :(

How long do those $$$ strings last anyway?

gcrider

Street Tracker
I just plink around and make noise with this - A Washburn Paul Stanley PS100:
ps100.jpg

I've scrounged the trim parts to upgrade the look to that of the PS2000, like this:
washburn_paul_stanly1.jpg

And use this little Kustom '66 Dart tuck & roll amp:
kustomamp1.jpg

THAT WASHBURN IS ULTRA COOL. I am shite on an electric and never bothered to upgrade my $25 2nd hand Macnum. Dont hold tune longer than 3 hours, sounds bad (even with a good player) But I would love your guitar to plink with.