Yamaha XS400 Budget Project

2Monkeys

Street Tracker
Will there be enough space for suspension travel with a numberplate hangin down right over the tire? It is looking good, the tail kinda reminds me of this CB750.

Attachments

• honda_cb750_cafe_racer1.jpg
    honda_cb750_cafe_racer1.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 0

Savantjk

Street Tracker
I dig it. Very clean. Mount the license plate under the taillight, yes?

Yea the light mount has the plate bracket attached

2monkeys said:
Will there be enough space for suspension travel with a numberplate hangin down right over the tire? It is looking good, the tail kinda reminds me of this CB750.

That's what I'm worried about too. The suspension is firm, but I'll have to test it out. The seat pan was supposed to end up being 17.5 in but the guy who made it for me accidentally did the math to equal 18.5 in.. so my fender ended up being a tad short than I had hoped. If it doesn't clear, I'll have to a) get another fender or b) cut a section of the lip out of the tail of the seat pan giving the fender an extra inch of clearance.

Last edited:

Savantjk

Street Tracker
Stripped. I walked in and thought they were primed at first. I didn't realize the wheels are iron.
moto_0868.jpg

Savantjk

Street Tracker
With the polished lips I just wouldn't have guessed iron. The weight of the front one isn't too bad since it's narrow.. but the rear wheel is a tank. After getting my tires in I located the rear 18" wheel that I wanted... that's about right. Oh well.

Savantjk

Street Tracker
Yea I've looked at that. There isn't a reason to do it on the 400 though because some models came from the factory with a 18"f/18"r set up. If I would have seen it before buying tires I would have bought it.

Savantjk

Street Tracker

Thanks Nohawk! I'll get your supplies sent out soon. Been out of town too much lately! Part that sucks is one of my headers has a subtle bend.. So they sit crooked. Yay.

Last edited:
FUCK YES. That's rad. Well done, sir.

The only thing I see that's off, in my eye, is that the rear end is lower than the front. If it were me, I'd want either taller rear shocks or shorter front forks. I like when a bike sits level, or with the nose down a bit. That's just me though...I'm crazy.

Craigore

TT Racer
freakin' awesome. the tank makes that bike. what have you got on that seat pan? going to have it upholstered? looks like a blast to ride, how long before you sell the bonneville? haha

Savantjk

Street Tracker
Craigore, Haha I'll be keeping the bonnie! I'll have a pad upholstered to sit on top of the seat pan. That way I can use the seat pan to bolt the tail light to and still be able to remove it.

As for the rear end goes, I'm with you Sweat. I've been looking at getting longer shocks or relocating the top shock mounts a bit rearward whenever I put the frame loop on. That will put the angle of the shock a little more vertical and raise the rear height. Like this but not quite as extreme as this guy went.
025.jpg

nohawk

Rocker
Hell yeah. Thats coming along fine. How does it sound?

Im with Sweat on bringing the back end up a bit, and Im with Craigore about that tank. That thing is sick!

Savantjk

Street Tracker
In post #91 above where I said thank you to you the pic is a link to a video. It's rough as it was recorded on my cell phone.. but you get a general idea!