09 EFI Thruxton Starting Issues

RyanRobot99

Street Tracker
Issue seems to be getting progressively worse...

The start buttons seems to not work till after alot of tries. Some times the starter will jolt for a split second like the bike was going to start. But mostly, the button is pressed and nothing happens.

I was poking around on the internet, a dude who had a similar problem said it was a clutch sensor.

Thoughts?

Is there a way to trouble shoot this at home?

RumRunner

Street Tracker
While I don't know for certain, I'd say you should be able to check that with a test light and a few jumper cables to bypass the different sensors (Clutch, Kick-stand, etc.) and see if it's that or the starter button itself.

koifarm

Hooligan
Starter button would be a good place to begin...try a short puff of WD-40 while working it, if that doesn't work, disassemble the hand grip and shoot some contact cleaner followed by some WD and see if that doesn't do it. Sure sounds like a switch, especially if you've washed the bike, run in the rain or otherwise gotten the hand grip wet without blowing it out with air or WD....

RyanRobot99

Street Tracker
Starter button would be a good place to begin...try a short puff of WD-40 while working it, if that doesn't work, disassemble the hand grip and shoot some contact cleaner followed by some WD and see if that doesn't do it. Sure sounds like a switch, especially if you've washed the bike, run in the rain or otherwise gotten the hand grip wet without blowing it out with air or WD....

Ill start there. That really sounds most logical place to start.

Worse case, I'm taking it down to BA Moto in Long Beach next month for a service. I'm pretty confident I can get it there and have them look at it. Long beach is 300 miles away... I dident wanna be stuck between here and there, but I love an adventure.

mark66

TT Racer
You may have already done this but have you checked and made sure the battery is fully charged and the connections are clean and tight. EFI bikes will do crazy things if the voltage isn't right up there very near where it should be.

LINDY

Two Stroke
I had the clutch switch give me fits on my old Speed Triple. I found that when the no start condition happened, I would hold the starter button down, then cycle the clutch lever and as it got worse would pull up and in on the clutch lever until the starter engaged. The dealer tried cleaning the switch and that helped for a while but it was not FIXED until the clutch switch was replaced.

RyanRobot99

Street Tracker
Battery is fine.

Ill take a stab at cleaning the clutch switch today. If it works well enough to get by for a month ill replace it. If I clean it and nothing changes, Ill assume it's fine.

Ill update the situation tonight.

RyanRobot99

Street Tracker
100 percent sure it was the clutch sensor...

I jiggled it and felt a click. Now the bike is fine. Go figure.

Stars&Bars

Two Stroke
It seems to me that if for nothing else, cleaning the clutch switch and starter button area is just plain good policy against problems later on.
After reading that you travel 300 miles to see your dealer I just thought my dealer was a good hike at 85 miles each way!

drlapo

Hooligan
you can just pop it out of the clutch perch for now. It makes contact when the lever is pulled and the switch is extended. If it give you trouble just pull the wires out and twist them together

RyanRobot99

Street Tracker
you can just pop it out of the clutch perch for now. It makes contact when the lever is pulled and the switch is extended. If it give you trouble just pull the wires out and twist them together

God damn, you are a useful and informative person! That makes perfect sense. If it gives me trouble to the point of being stranded I'll remember that. Im looking for a salvaged bike, I hope I can swap it out before It comes to that.

Nice information. I just picked up a 2011 and I have seen this intermittently a few times. I figured it was something to do with the clutch safety switch since I usually release the clutch once or twice and it works. I still have warranty, but it's tough to show when you can't recreate the problem at the shop.