Out on a ride-a-bout

Bonafide

NBR founder
Been on the road since Thursday morning - met up with friends in Ducktown, Tn and we've just been riding with no destination in mind. Started in GA, into TN, over to NC, up to VA, back in TN tonight and headed into KY at first light. Seen a couple Bonnies and even 2 Thruxtons on the road. Meet a yellow Thruxton owner who'd never heard of the forum just off the Blue Ridge Pwy near Boone, NC. We I get back I'll add some more photos - forgot to pack my USB cable to upload from camera to the laptop. This one below was taken with the cell phone on the Blue Ridge Pwy this morning.

attachment.php

Attachments

• holiday2010.jpg
    holiday2010.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 0

nohawk

Rocker
Nice lookin scenery in that picture, I bet the roads are nice too. I think exploring the 2 lanes around Rock City?? That place where you can see 4 states from woul be real nice.

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Oye, I'm ready to have my bike out of surgery and get her new feet and shoes tested out, this definately has me jonesing. Looksl ike it was a blast!

Bonafide

NBR founder
Nice lookin scenery in that picture, I bet the roads are nice too. I think exploring the 2 lanes around Rock City?? That place where you can see 4 states from woul be real nice.

I dont live too far from Chattanooga. Use to go to Rock City/Look Out Mtn as a kid. It's 7 states that can be seen from Look Out.

We did go to the top of Mt Mitchell, NC. Highest point east of the Mississippi.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Nice picture . Silver sidecovers, silver fenders and black rims look friggin great. Surprising to me, but they rock. Ride safe and post some more pics when you get home.

Bonafide

NBR founder
Did 400+ miles today. From Kingsport, TN, Rogersville TN, Harlan KY (Hwy 70 rocks!), Pineville KY, Williamsburg KY, Monticello, Bowling Green, Hopkinsville to finally stopping in Fort Campbell - home of the 101st Airborne!

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Haven't seen you post much and how cool to be out riding without any given destination.
Its been 15 years since I have ridden though Rogersville and what great riding roads down there. Also, pretty astounding to meet up with another rider on a Thruxton. :)

What...a Hinkley owner that hasn't heard of your forum? Say what?
Bike looks great and ride safe.

Bonafide

NBR founder
Went from Ft Campbell KY this morning to straight down through Tennessee, picked up the Natchez Trace outside Waynesboro, TN and ran it til Tupelo, MS. Ended the day in Tuscaloosa, AL. Spent over half the day in the rain. Riding in the rain is better than a day of work. ;)

Picture taken in NW Tennessee (Erin, TN) this morning.

attachment.php

Attachments

• holiday2010_2.jpg
    holiday2010_2.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 0

D9

Vendor
What a cool trip... enjoying the updates & pics and envious too... wondering if I'll ever get my act together and do a road trip like you're doin' right now... roads, scenery & circuitous
route all sound awesome...

Bonafide

NBR founder
Seth, the coolest part is we look at yahoo maps every night - pick out rural/off the beat towns by name, then punch them in the Garmin the next day as we get ready. Gives us the rural routes and how many miles to next stop, etc. No Interstates and no time tables. We get where we get. We have been planning the day's end in a metro area so we can priceline a 3star (or better) hotel.

One of the coolest thing we saw, yesterday, ran across about 8 or so Amish kids in a horse/buggy. As we eased our way around them (so not to spook the horse), 4 or 5 boys come hanging out the buggy all bugged eyed checking out the bikes. No adults on board .. and a 6 yr old little girl was doing the driving. We speculated they were out on a 'joy ride'. They were pulling onto a 4 lane divided with no roads/houses for MILES.

simpson

TT Racer
Great trip!

btw, that guy on the yellow Thruxton is messin' up my mojo...I was the only one around here for a while 'til that new guy showed up. Some squid on a Yamaha asked if I was him..."Baxter's" his name (I think).

Stay safe, and keep exploring!

-simpson

Bonafide

NBR founder
Made it home. Yesterday and this morning was rain riding. No biggie, but it makes for a less than ideal riding experience. Decided to cannonball it and rode about 150-175 miles on the Interstate just to get out of it as quick as possible.

For a brief recap; 3 bikes (Triumph, Honda, Harley), 1500+ miles (98% backroads), 7 States (no tip-rides, we went well into the states), no mechanical issues (yay!)

Simpson, that guy on the yellow Thrux that I met said he was from up around Charlotte. But, I did see another one just I was about to head up the The Snake on Hwy 421. He was coming down it - back towards Boone.

1. Mount Mitchell, NC - along the Blue Ridge Pwy. This is the highest point east of the Mississippi River
2. View from along the Blue Ridge Pwy - North Carolina
3. Main Entrance to Fort Campbell - Kentucky @ Tennessee State line.
4. Backwoods of North West Tennessee - near Erin, TN
5. Taken at the Tennessee River along the Natchez Trace - Alabama
6. Crossing into Mississippi on the Natchez Trace
7. Train in downtown .. thinking this was Sulligent, Mississippi
8. Wall mural in Guin, Alabama

Attachments

• aug2010_trip7.jpg
    aug2010_trip7.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 0
  • aug2010_trip6.jpg
    aug2010_trip6.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 0
  • aug2010_trip5.jpg
    aug2010_trip5.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 0
  • aug2010_trip4.jpg
    aug2010_trip4.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 0
  • aug2010_trip3.jpg
    aug2010_trip3.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 0
  • aug2010_trip2.jpg
    aug2010_trip2.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 0
  • aug2010_trip.jpg
    aug2010_trip.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 0
  • aug2010_trip8.jpg
    aug2010_trip8.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 0

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Nice. Glad you had a good trip ...1500 miles is a big ride in my book, especially on back roads...thats ass busting mileage...