Harbor Freight

drlapo

Hooligan
I had my first visit to a Harbor Freight store yesterday
they have everything!
I bought a one ton shop crane for $99. I'll use it to lift my modern bikes, the one's without center stands and exhausts under the frame: Speed Triple, Street Triple, Daytona
also picked up a digital micrometer for $24 to measure the valve shims
it is a dangerous place to bring a pickup truck to.:shh:

henrys

Street Tracker
Be warned it's a good place for simple tools but I wouldn't try to use anything precision from there. All of it is from china and a lot of it is poorly made (hence why its so cheap). I do agree its a fun place shop around.

Bonafide

NBR founder
Be warned it's a good place for simple tools but I wouldn't try to use anything precision from there. All of it is from china and a lot of it is poorly made (hence why its so cheap). I do agree its a fun place shop around.

+1 ... great for shop supplies, but buy tools/more important stuff elsewhere.

Also - start checking around, cause they are ALWAYS having a 20% off coupon.

geolpilot

Street Tracker
I bought one of their cheap micrometers and it is on the money when checking against feeler gauges. There motorcycle jack is very good. I don't think much of tools like wrenches and screwdrivers, but you can get an air compressor and air tools very cheap and have tools for concessional use that you could not otherwise justify. For instance I have a set of very long straight and bent needle nose pliers. I need one every few years, so it will do the job. Don't think I would buy much of their stuff for continuous use.

drlapo

Hooligan
most of my real tools are Kobalt or Craftsman, some BETA and Snap On, but the Harbor Freight store is a paradise of junk that you just cannot live without

Chris in NC

Street Tracker
Remember the old addage, "you get what you pay for"..

Harbor Freight sells tools cheap for a reason.. but I agree for simple things it's a great place to shop.

We're lucky to have both Harbor Freight and Northern Tools here.. I prefer Northern Tools.. It's like 'mecca' for men...

Bonniebret

Rocker
I always ask myself one simple question before I buy something at Harbor Freight - "If this breaks will it kill me?"

nohawk

Rocker
Good way to look at it Bret. The more moving parts it has the less likely ill buy it there. I did buy a blast cabinet from HF that still works fine, but not much to it.
BTW great pictures from that Dice party on M.O.S!!

drlapo

Hooligan
but its all made in the USA: Buffalo Forge, Pittsburgh Tools etc
I could not find Buffalo or Pittsburgh China

Skeeter

Rocker
when i worked in the body shop i used a harbor fright 1/2 air ratchet. it last me about 8-10 months and then id buy another for 15 bucks, theyre loud as fock tho... i love harbor frieght but yea some stuff i wouldnt buy there like a welder.

Bonniebret

Rocker
I've hear stories of guys buying cheapo spray guns there for one time use and just tossing them when they're finished. No clean up.

strokerlmt

+1 ... great for shop supplies, but buy tools/more important stuff elsewhere.

Also - start checking around, cause they are ALWAYS having a 20% off coupon.

I agree....I purchased a bench grinder and burned it up. I did get a new one via warranty but it is the same thing. You can stop the brush with hard pressure.
LMT

mark66

TT Racer
My good stuff is Mac or Snap On but I've got a few things now and then from Harbor Freight. It's kind of like, for occasional use it's OK but for constant or commercial use your probably gonna have to replace it.