The Things You Do...

Pete R

Banned
Fitted my new whizbang clipons. All held together with one big f@#koff allen bolt. "Tighten to 6kg" the piece of paper says. Google that (couldn't be stuffed digging up my old tech conversion book) and it says around 43ft/lb.

Sweet, go out to shed and realise that allen sockets are at work. No way to accurately tension big f@#koff allen bolt. So I apply old shed torqueing scale (ie, "grunts"). I torque big f@#off allen bolt to 2.5 grunts. Seems real nice and real solid. Make note to self to bring home allen sockets from work and check torque on big f@#off bolt.

Go through "ride to work procedure" - done it countless times before...steepish gravel driveway with a gate halfway up to keep in dog who tries to escape. Get bike out, fire up, get shit on, get excited dog inside, ride bike up steepish driveway and park at angle (to the left) on driveway slope, get off bike, go back in and shut gate, let dog out, go out gate locking it behind me, get on bike and f@#off. SOP, no worries.

So with swish new clipons I wheel bike out of shed, turn on fuel, pull choke knob and start bike. Don gear, put dog inside and then open gate. Get on bike and ride up driveway, through gate to where I usually park...and then... suddenly the bike stops dead mid ride. Compression lock kind of stop. I'm flung forward up onto the instruments. Brain screams "WTF!". Left foot searches for and then finds mother Earth. Bike leans downhill to the left, right hand pushes valiantly on ride hand bar to stabilise bike...but the clipon folds down nearly inline with the forkleg! Now the Laws of Physics take over and we all go down in a heap.

F@#k me.

The bike is on it's side on a slope with it's tank lower than the engine. I smell petrol real bad, the ignition is on and I can't get to it. Do you guys know how hard it is to pick up one of these things up from this sort of position, on gravel with smooth soled boots on? Geezus. I'm sure it was only pure embarassment of being sprung by the neighbours that allowed spontaneous "Hulk Fury" energy to kick in and allow me to get the bike uprightish. Whereupon I find the lefthand footpeg is busted (memories of "Monkey Metal" claims flash through brain).

After managing to unlock gate while holding bike I roll bike backwards down hill to shed. Pull f@#king gear off and sulk. Then bodgie pillion peg in place of busted footrest, move swish new clipon back into position and re-torque to 3.5 grunts and gather wits. Dog is going ballistic inside (probably in fits wanting to cock it's leg on me).

Ride to work with the shits. Get allen sockets from workshop and shove in bag before even taking helmet off.

The reason for the stall & tumble? Forgot to turn the f@#ing choke off. What a deadshit.

Now I'm out to the shed to properly torque the big f@#off allen bolt!

Last edited:

mark66

TT Racer
Funny, ain't it, how a simple thing like pushing the choke knob back in can turn a possibly great day into the shits.:mad: Had a bit similar thing happen to me back in July on my '70 BSA. Came out of the coffee shop in the center of my town and went to the bike. A guy comes up and starts asking me about the bike. We finish talking and I guess I'm a little distracted so as I try to pull away I'm leaning over in a turn type position and the bike stalls. Down we go in the parking space. Man was my face red. Fuel leaking out of the tank, I grabbed the bike and heaved up and pop goes my back. I give it a few kicks before it'll start and head for home with my ego bruised badly and a kinked throttle cable so I have to pull on it to get it to idle again. I guess two words say it all "SHIT HAPPENS"

koifarm

Hooligan
Great story despite the bad outcome but well done! Way better than "the bike fell over" kind of report....loved the dawg interplay with the egress procedure....enjoyed it!!

Bonniebret

Rocker
LOL!! The ability to laugh at ones self is truly an asset. I love the way you told the story because I could identify with EVERYTHING! George Carlin referred to things like that as "life's little moments". We've all done it. It's great to hear the stories.

RumRunner

Street Tracker
I had a similar thing happen to me when I put a set on my Thrux... I forgot that I turned the gas back off for some strange reason.. Luckily I figured it out and didn't go down... Glad you're OK.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Pete,

It could happen to any of us. Sorry it was your turn. Motorcycling is a dangerous activity and if you sat in the shed forever nothing bad would happen. Except you'd be wasting time sitting in a friggin shed. We takes our chances and we ride. Thanks for sharing that sad tale, now go ride.

Pete R

Banned
Ooh yeah I'm gunna ride her alright! Like Tezza said "shit happens" :D All that was busted was a footpeg but a big lesson learned.

Isn't it funny, no matter how old you are, what you dun, where you bin, you never stop learning ;)

Cheers and beers boyz :cheers: