avon roadriders

Subjective issue and for me, I have always been a "Pirelli man" from back in the days of Phantoms, thru Diablos to the current Scorpion Trails on the Bonnie. Of course, the majority of modern tyres within spec for our bikes will do pretty much the same job, but for me, I kinda get psychological reassurance with Pirellis and that lets me relax and maybe crack on a bit faster during a ride. Different strokes .... ?????

Cheers,

Pikey.

sanjuro

Two Stroke
just got roadriders on the bonnie. took them for a quick test ride...took a few minutes to get used to them, i had michelin anakees (dual sports), so the handling was different than i'm used to. that being said, after a couple of minutes they began to feel more natural to me. i look forward to breaking them in and warmer weather...will post a follow up here or in the product review section when i've got a couple good days in the mountains on them

speedtrip

Scooter
I just put a set on my America so we will see how they act couldnt be any worse than those POS Metz that came stock

aleonet100

Two Stroke
Just had the bike dropped off yesterday with its new Avon's, 19T front, anodized rear sprocket and new chain. I'll find out how it all feels sometime in June when the snow melts. :rant: Looks good sitting in the garage.

Bonniebret

Rocker
I've got a 140 on the rear. Since it was wider it did take some getting used to but I love the way it handles now.

HepcatBob

Scooter
I just had new Roadriders mounted today and all I can say is WOW, what a difference. I went for a test ride down some of the roads I used to avoid because of all the patches and rough pavement. I no longer have to avoid them anymore. It felt like all the patches and rough spots had magically disappeared. Also, the winds are gusting a bit today but I didn't feel like I was about to get blown off the road like I did with the stock Metzelers. I'm sold.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
MES has a Thrux. He doens't like the Roadriders. I have Thrux length shocks, and I have the wobble.

Hmm, maybe they work only on Bonnies?

strokerlmt

I'm with pikey....what I feel comfortable with I like to stay with and the dunlops on my bike are great....but I like what I have heard about the pirelli's so the ones on my wife's project bike will stay and I am looking forward to riding the bike.
LMT

ivar

TT Racer
.what I feel comfortable with I like to stay with and the dunlops on my bike are great.

I was also very happy with Dunlops GT501's.
Now running Metzeler Tourances, they stick pretty good on dry or wet, but dont feel as stable over grooves etc as the 501s did.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
I got my bike sorted out. I lowered the rear by taking off the Scram shocks and going back to my original Bonny shocks. Man what a difference!! The high speed wobble is gone.

drlapo

Hooligan
I have Roadriders on my BMW R80 I found the tyres must be run at the recommended pressures or a bit higher. I road Saturday night witht the tires 4 pounds low (new guage)and the bike misbehaved noticeably= unstable

Kframe

Street Tracker
I have Roadriders on my BMW R80 I found the tyres must be run at the recommended pressures or a bit higher. I road Saturday night witht the tires 4 pounds low (new guage)and the bike misbehaved noticeably= unstable

I've also noticed a significant reduction in the HSW by running the tires at a higher PSI. Not gone completely, but much better.
-K

loxpump

Rocker
I have them on my Bonnie with Thrux length shocks and haven't had any wobble. Even run then with 30 psi front and 30 psi rear at the track and they handle great. Scrape my pegs on turns and push the ton on the straight with no problems.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Lox -

I've been searching around and counting the number of posters who like or dislike the Avons and recording what type of bike they rode. Thats how I got to thinking about the shock length.

I looked at 12 riders, both Bonny and Thrux, who posted about the Avons. All the Thrux riders disliked the Avons with 1 exception, marzydj, who had a Thrux but liked them. All the Bonny riders liked them.

Now I do not think the shocks cause the wobble, I just noted that the longer length seemed associated with the report of wobble. What I think we are seeing is the curved center groove is setting up an impulse and some bikes pick it up and amplify it into the bars. It is known that taller rear shocks and steeper rake translate into quicker more sensitive steering. Not every bike and rider combo will be the same, but it seemed to me the Thrux lenghth shocks weren't helping.

Thats how I came to the idea of switching back to my Bonny shocks. Perhaps my 250 lbs and forward posture comprsss my forks more than yours and make things worse. Perhaps there is another variable, like my 6'-3 height or perhaps my wheels have a slight out of round, or there is some other minor difference. Perhaps I ride on more crowned or cross sloped roads. I imagine the track you run on is more or less flat or banked rather than crowned or reverse sloped.

What I do know is I was driving on the NYS Thruway at 80 mph on a mile cross slope and the side to side impulse was coming through the rear tire pretty well and the bars were also wobbling when pushed up to high speed. I also know I got a dirfferent response from the bike when I put the shorter rear shocks back on - no wobble amplification, and solid feeling in the front. I'm going with it for now as its cheaper than throwing these tires away.

Last edited:

Leedsharlequin

Two Stroke
funny reading this thread.
tires, like lots of things are so subjective.

Now I'll tell you my experience with 'em.

first off let me say that I THINK they suck big hairy balls and I wouldn't have a roadrider on the rear if they gave them to me free. In fact I was so pissed off that I replaced mine after 1,200 miles.

It was comepletely vague and tried to track every groove it could find. It would hold, it just didn't feel like it would. did this for almost 500miles. Then they started to cup on me. By 1,200 miles they were so Pringled that they were unsafe. when I took the wheel to the shop they took one look at it and couldn't believe it was a bad as it was. It was so bad that they actually took pictures of it and sent them to the Rep at Avon. Avon said that it was ridden underinflated and too bad for me.
BULLSHIT.
NEVER in my life had I seen a tire cupped so badly.
I check my tire pressure every saturday morning just before I go riding. Without fail. I wrote them back and told them that. No response.

I ride on those miserable stock Metzlers. They are predictable and they hold.
I would ride Pirrelli sport demons (if you ride hard they are the way to go) but they are hard for me to get. I also get a really goood geal on the Metzlers.

That's just me and your results may vary.

Can't believe I never caught this post...

I agree entirely, thought it was the front causing the problems. Nope.. Read above.:chair: then to top it off, this week I noticed the tire is coming apart within the tread. Garbage. Ordering a Pirrelli right now :hung:

And I'm riding an 08 T100