A vintage motorcycle mechanic’s lament for the future

Freakin awesome!!! This reminds me of a guy I know that has his pinache for repairs and fabricating. His home garage looks just like his and much smaller. The guy is a genius!

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
I've been saying this for some time.

Generation without a wrench

Great video by the way - I would , as he says, kill to work there. My kids know a bit about tools,but they have very little desire or interest in working on cars. I have had them help me fix a couple old bikes, but he is absolutely right ; what we would have killed for as kids, they have little interest in. I don't know what it means, I might go out on a limb and say that when our generation gets too old, then the vintage bikes will go back to rusting in basements, considered too temperamental for any use. The other thing that is missing is the nearly insane desire that I felt to ride and wrench when I was a kid - they don't have it. Again, that seems to be lost with this generation - maybe video games have taken up all the time, or maybe the world has just changed so much.

Its somewhat amusing to see the look on the kids faces when I take a bike apart - they have almost no idea what I'm are doing and how I got all this knowledge of apparently alien technology such as carburetors.......

Last edited:

ssjones

750cc
Watching that did remind me about Sal's post. Sad, but some hope. My daughter is friends with a group of 20-something yr old guys who ride, build and wrench on a mix of old and new machines. They hang out every Monday at a shop in town. They get it. But Cramer is right, those numbers are definitely dwindling.

koifarm

Hooligan
For sure on that note, for the last fifteen years or so manufacturers have been making cars that need a 'technician' to even change the freaking oil so kids are being brought up with the idea that the car has to go to a dealer or licensed mechanic to fix a problem. Most cannot even afford the diagnostic machines required for today's computer oriented auto's and bikes.
Although I must say one thing, very near our town, down in Daytona, I had the pleasure of touring one of the technical training facilities for motorcycles and marine engines and systems, and it was a pleasure to see many young faces going to school to learn modern bikes and how to fix em.
The sad part, as said above, is that the demise of the "garage mechanics" is what is happening these days, and though still alive, dwindling rapidly.
Taking your young kids and showing them the way to work on and restore older classic bikes is one way we can preserve that lifestyle and I would hope that still happens in the world. Clubs are a great way to continue that style of working on stuff.
I think when we were younger, working on cars was a fact of life and survival in the great race to get laid...if you had a "hot rod" all fixed up and went street drag racing on the weekends you were bound to score one way or another. Whatever happened to "cruising the main drag" like we saw on American Graffiti?....it's gone....whatever happened to drag strips? Now it's multi million dollar fancy cars, back then you could take your stock '55 chevy to the strip and run "J" stock and have fun. Can you do that now?..
Change is always a part of growing up and that way of life is long gone. There is no reason it can't continue though, via those of us who care enough about preserving that way of life and showing our kids the door to walk through to get there. Love your kids, show them what you know and love and the world will still have a few die hard appreciators of a way of life lost in the shuffle of the modern world.

DandyDoug

750cc
Wow, that just about say's it better than I have ever heard it said !

I think about how my own grandkids are going to end up and wonder which of them will continue to tinker with machinery. I'm pretty sure it won't be the oldest one, he is a great kid but more into art and theater. His younger brother gives me hope, he is interested in everything and how it works.

The youngest ( my other daughter's boy) will definately be exposed to machinery. His dad is a real do it yourself type, would rather lose a finger trying to do it himself than pay someone.

When I look at the the kids in my neighbor hood, I despair. The boys are all computer game geeks, and the two girls next door, well I figure one of them may go in the military if she does not go to jail first. Her sister is a pole dancer candidate for sure.

Skeeter

Rocker
ahahaha yes adam!!!!

ive been there a few times, he had a lil bike show there back in later summer. i have one of his vintage shirts. his place really looks like that. he even has every honda model biuld in one year, think its 74. he fix my buddies CB

Kirkus51

Hooligan
There's still kids out there who wrench. My neighbor's boy has an old CJ Jeep that he loves with a passion. It's his main ride and he works on that thing himself and keeps it going.

I do agree that bikes and cars are pretty damned complicated today and I look under the hood and scratch my head and I won't mess with my Bonnie unless it's clear to me what needs to be done.

Lets face it. Todays cars are far more complicated. Yesterdays cars are rapidly being consigned to "collector" status or end up in a salvage yard. I will say this about "modern" cars, they stay on the road far longer.

aleonet100

Two Stroke
And the great thing about stumbling across this video is that the guy is only a few miles from work! What a find. Have to stop by there with the 67 some day.

I have mixed feeling about his message. Like many here have said, the maintenance and repairs on today’s vehicles just aren’t accessible to the average Joe. I at the engine of my VW and think there’s no way I’m touching that. But so much has to do with the interest level of the kids and what sparks their imaginations. I can spend time in the garage working on the 67 and usually of my four kids the only one to stop by, hang out and help is the youngest, my 9 year old daughter. Her three older brothers could barely care less. (Though they really like the bikes.) I’m dumfounded by this. To me I have the world’s single coolest erector set in the garage and no one wants to play with it. And when she’s with me I really let her help and get plenty greasy. I’ve actually had my oldest boy ask me how I know how to do the things I do. (Which is pretty limited compared to many of you.) I just gave him a blank, are you kidding me, stare while I’m holding the carburetors in my hands.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Her three older brothers could barely care less. (Though they really like the bikes.) I’m dumfounded by this. To me I have the world’s single coolest erector set in the garage and no one wants to play with it. And when she’s with me I really let her help and get plenty greasy. I’ve actually had my oldest boy ask me how I know how to do the things I do. (Which is pretty limited compared to many of you.) I just gave him a blank, are you kidding me, stare while I’m holding the carburetors in my hands.

Just this post,,, but sounds like, just maybe, you are more forgiving and supportive of the daughter but you intimidate the boys

Her three older brothers could barely care less. (Though they really like the bikes.) I’m dumfounded by this. To me I have the world’s single coolest erector set in the garage and no one wants to play with it. And when she’s with me I really let her help and get plenty greasy. I’ve actually had my oldest boy ask me how I know how to do the things I do. (Which is pretty limited compared to many of you.) I just gave him a blank, are you kidding me, stare while I’m holding the carburetors in my hands.

Just this post,,, but sounds like, just maybe, you are more forgiving and supportive of the daughter but you intimidate the boys

+1...I remember the times when I was young and times my dad gave me a condescending look for asking a "stupid" question when it came to DIY fixing. It wasn't encouraging and the only thing that got me through it was my desire to learn. Treat the boys like you do the girl and you may spark one of their interests

aleonet100

Two Stroke
Dudes, take it easy! That's what I get for posting a quick reply while at work. ALL of my kids have always been and will always have an open invitation to hang out and help in the garage, workshop, property, whatever, whenever they want to and are constantly ecouraged to. They are all very talented kids in their own ways but have very different interest levels as stated above. So after 14 years of being invited to help and learn and chosing to do something else intead, they're going to get a goofy look from me when they ask a goofy question. That goofy look is always followed with another invitation to come and learn if they would like to and always will be.

ssjones

750cc
The sad thing is you can buy an OBDII code reader program for a lot less than an I-phone or even a mid-level I-pod. With that tool and a laptop (which most self-respecting students seem to own), you can troubleshoot virtually any modern car.
The "nerds" seem to be taking over the hot-rod show at our towns local "cruise" event. These days a "cruise" means parking in a big lot at the local mall or whatever. Our town outlawed the real "cruising" ,mentioned a few posts up, 20 years ago. I bumped into a 20-something this past summer who had a very hopped up Camaro SS convertible. After telling me about the modifications, I asked him who did the engine management software changes (LS1 motor). I was surprised to hear him say he wrote the program and did several of his buddies F-bodies.

Skeeter

Rocker
And the great thing about stumbling across this video is that the guy is only a few miles from work! What a find. Have to stop by there with the 67 some day.

adam is a crazy dude, but really cool, stop by. his shop alone is worth a stop by. he has a lot of bikes and the bikes hangin from the ceiling are cool

Rhodie

Street Tracker
Adama Cramer's message is sadly all too true & to the point.
Where are the next generation?
Some very nice looking m/cs - like his taste in old Brit bikes & Asian chick!
Good valediction to the old timers who rocked & rolled.
:w

Kframe

Street Tracker
I was talking to a guy at work recently and he was complaining about a wiggly dining room table and I casually asked why he didn't just tighten it up.

Blank stare.

I said, you know, look underneath and see if there's a nut you can tighten on a corner brace with your socket wrench.

Blank stare.

Found out he doesn't own any tools, except a little brass hammer that has a couple little screwdrivers in the handle.
(My grandmother used to have one of those. :shh: )

He's about 30. For some reason I just can't wrap my head around not having any tools, especially owning a house. It just doesn't compute.
:huh:

Well, he does drive an Insight, so it kinda figures.
-K

austat2

Scooter
i didn`t get any of my mechanical knowledge from my dad but from trial and error building a couple of VW beetles with him when i was 15 and 16 he still hates workin on motors but we still talk about the times we did

ssjones

750cc
I don't get people who will live with a problem vs. at least attempting a fix (like F-frames coworker). Last weekend, we were at my wife's boss house he rents during the MD legislative session. My wife stays there when he goes home and mentioned the downstairs was pretty cold. I noticed the door latch was loose, with a big bag between the door and seal. The latch is adjusted by two phillips screws. I looked around the house for some tools and sure enough discovered a phillips screwdriver in a kitchen door. 30 seconds later the door is tight. He's been living with that since January.......

sanjuro

Two Stroke
I probably fall into the younger category here, being just shy of 30, but I'm more the exception than the rule. If I think I can fix it or do the maintenance, I do it myself. I was actually sad when I had to take my current car in for an oil change last month because the drain plug was torqued down too hard by the previous person to change the vehicle's oil. I was sad because it was the first time in 5 years I did not change the oil myself in a vehicle I own. There's a certain pride that comes with doing the work yourself, not to mention all the money I haven't had to pay mechanics for simple work.

STLT100

moped
Hi Folks,
Has anybody read, or tried to read, "Shop Class As Soulcraft" by Matthew Crawford? A New York Times Bestseller with a similiar message. Unfortunately, the author has a Ph.D and it's not written at an 8th grade level like most of my favorite magazines and books. However, it does have a cool old Boxer on the cover. BMW boxer, that is.......
C-ya