A vintage motorcycle mechanic’s lament for the future

ssjones

750cc
I read that this winter. Not bad, a little deep in theory at times. I picked it up via our town library.
Hi Folks,
Has anybody read, or tried to read, "Shop Class As Soulcraft" by Matthew Crawford? A New York Times Bestseller with a similiar message. Unfortunately, the author has a Ph.D and it's not written at an 8th grade level like most of my favorite magazines and books. However, it does have a cool old Boxer on the cover. BMW boxer, that is.......
C-ya

I probably fall into the younger category here, being just shy of 30, but I'm more the exception than the rule. If I think I can fix it or do the maintenance, I do it myself. I was actually sad when I had to take my current car in for an oil change last month because the drain plug was torqued down too hard by the previous person to change the vehicle's oil. I was sad because it was the first time in 5 years I did not change the oil myself in a vehicle I own. There's a certain pride that comes with doing the work yourself, not to mention all the money I haven't had to pay mechanics for simple work.

I'm on the same boat. 29 years old and for the most part have fixed all my motorcycle problems myself. I now have a certain sense of pride because it was my dad that has given me the roots to do DIY mechanical stuff. And now here I am helping my dad for the most part helping him reshim his valves on his Sprint RS. Talk about role reversal. Of course I still turn to him for mechanical advise...especially when it comes to something electrical.

I can't tell you how much money Ive saved because Ive fixed problems myself. I also have this forum to thank for problems Ive run into with my Bonnie. I do my best to contribute on the triumph675.net when it comes to fixing a Daytona because Im one of the last of the OG owners and have done a lot of fixes.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Yeah, I have that book. Its pretty good, the guy gets a Ph.d and starts working a think tank where he finds out it sucks. So he starts a motorcycle shop in the basement of an industrial building and quits the high paying job for life wrenching on bikes. The point of the book is similar in that he says the trades are a better life than academia, guys are more independent, have more pride , etc. And gets the award for cool cover. I have stared at that BMW longer than i should and I would - no, I will - buy one like that and make it run perfect and ride it with the original patina.

bookcover.jpg

Last edited:

marthruxton

Two Stroke
I have always loved motors of all sorts. Cars bikes anything with a motor. I have tried to get my kids somewhat involved as they were growing up. bought them all dirt bikes. They really didn't care about riding let alone working on them.
One daughter lost an engine because she never checked the oil level. Then she lost the tranny because she let her boyfriend dirve her car.
Today al they know is if it needs work dad will do it. Not what I intended.

As i look at this generation, I see that kids are not interested in much of anything. Look at all the playgrounds...empty. Kids don't know how to get a pick up game with some parents organizing it for them. And then they ALL want a trophy just for showing up.

Looking at bikes today (and cars for that matter) the rider is divorsed from the motor. They can't see it or understand it. The motor is covered in plastic and you need a computor to work on it. i usually try to make conversation with the younger guys when they pull up at the usual stops. I ask them about their bike. i am amazed how many don't know if the bike they are riding is fuel injection or carbs!

Ow well, I am just an old fart.

ivar

TT Racer
My dad grew up in the 30'ies, when buying new was not an option so they got to fix whatever they got, with whatever they had. So he became sort of "jack of all trades, master of none"
When I was a kid, I loved working with wood. And my dad was actually too supportive, if possible. Intending to show me the proper ways to do things, I felt like he "took over" my small projects and I went kinda sour :)
Except for dismantling an alarm clock, I didn't get into mechanical things until I got a used 50cc moped at age 16.
Constantly short on money, I had to be ingenious to keep this running without too much outlays. I also learnt much about hot-rodding, as my first attempt at shaving the head went very wrong, and I managed to reduce the top speed from 35mph to about 20 by putting on a "ported" cylinder and bored carb. :D
Some hard work and thinking, and I was back at square one. Then ordered a 65cc "bigbore kit" , and got my mother to pay for it.. (didn't dare tell her that it was go-fast parts)
Today, 25 years later , working with computers all day, I want my toys to be as computer-less as possible, nothing like getting my hands all dirty and bleeding from struggling with some real lowtech stuff :lol: