thinking about another bike soon

ivar

TT Racer
as said, its a shame
here's a xjr in the old yamaha racing colors

03_XJR1300_Yellow_LHF_1024.jpg

Sweet.....what do you think about the new Guzzi. Maybe not enough zip ????
LMT

Not sure which Guzzi you mean, but I wouldn't want one right now due to the lack of dealer support and parts availability. I would maybe want one as a 3rd or 4th bike, but not as a primary. Really, there are a dozen bikes I'd rather have than a Guzzi, so it's pretty far down the list.

I started looking at more used Councourses on Craigslist. They are nice bikes and are pretty cheap used. There are lots of nice ones out there for under and around $4k. They sure aren't muscle bikes at around 115-120hp (which would only be ~95 to the wheel and my Bonnie makes ~85hp and weighs less) but it'd be cool to have a Bonnie and a Connie. ;)

Vendor
my Bonnie makes ~85hp and weighs less>>>

Wow... that's great Jeff!!
When you dynoed at 85?
Please let me know, better please mail me your dyno run. ( I like to see what your modified 2 into 1 does.)
Thank you.

I haven't dyno'd it again. The last time i dyno'd I think I made something 83hp at a .99 CF. That's why I said ~85hp. I need to get back on the dyno though.

What's the most HP you think someone could get out of a Bonnie? Just wondering.

well, Jorgen gets over 200hp out of his full drag 1120cc turbo/EFI Bonnie, and about 140hp out of his 904cc turbo/EFI Street Bonnie.

Carlos is getting in the neigborhood of 120hp out of his totally streetable 1087cc Bonnie.

How much money do you have?

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Sweat,

I have been stalking another bike for my wife/son/visiting friends to ride. I wanted something easy to work on, cheap light and versatile, with enough performance to keep up but not so much that they get over their head. They ride very occasionally, and reflexes get rusty especially with too fast a bike . I am pretty much settled that a brand new Ninja 500 is the answer. Its just about the last twin cyl. carburettor bike and can be purchased brand spanking new for about $4,000, it has a fairing ,and its kind of a basic all a rounder. Brand new from the showroom can you imagine how many years of light duty trouble free service that baby will give? I notice lightly used examples are few and far between - a good sign actually. Personally I think a girl on a Ninja 500 is sexy, so that's what I'm thinking.
08ninja500r-3.jpg

All that said, as I am paying for it, it is tempting to look up a notch at a lightly used Ninja 650 and see double duty as track bike, or at least a sport bike for me. So, a simple purchase becomes kind of a "what if". I wonder if the 650 would be too damn much bike for my wife to ride on Saturdays? It certainly wouldn't be too much for me. Would the 500 just be too small and basic for me?

Last edited:

Texas94fs

Hooligan
you can rail 250's and 500's as double duty track bikes, cheap to repair and will really teach you about keeping up corner speed. You'd be amazed how much fun you can have on a "little" bike.

ssjones

750cc
My daughter had a Ninja 500. I rode it occasionally and found it a fun ride. The seating/bar position was pretty relaxed, for a sport bike and in stark contrast to her boyfriend's R6. It was more than enough bike for her. You might grow used to the 500's power over time but I think a new rider on the 650 might be a bit much. My daughter found her immaculate earlier example for $1,500.
Sweat,

I have been stalking another bike for my wife/son/visiting friends to ride. I wanted something easy to work on, cheap light and versatile, with enough performance to keep up but not so much that they get over their head. They ride very occasionally, and reflexes get rusty especially with too fast a bike . I am pretty much settled that a brand new Ninja 500 is the answer. Its just about the last twin cyl. carburettor bike and can be purchased brand spanking new for about $4,000, it has a fairing ,and its kind of a basic all a rounder. Brand new from the showroom can you imagine how many years of light duty trouble free service that baby will give? I notice lightly used examples are few and far between - a good sign actually. Personally I think a girl on a Ninja 500 is sexy, so that's what I'm thinking.

08ninja500r-3.jpg

All that said, as I am paying for it, it is tempting to look up a notch at a lightly used Ninja 650 and see double duty as track bike, or at least a sport bike for me. So, a simple purchase becomes kind of a "what if". I wonder if the 650 would be too damn much bike for my wife to ride on Saturdays? It certainly wouldn't be too much for me. Would the 500 just be too small and basic for me?

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Not exactky new riders, they have both been riding a 250 for a few years now and I think they are okay to move up. They are just sunday afternoon riders. Just not sure how far they can move up and they certainly don't need 150 mph speed. 70 mph would be fine.

Texas,

I agree, however the extra accelleration can let you be slower in the corners too, if you know what I mean.

ssjones

750cc
Than that 500 should fit the bill nicely. I'd say the 500 felt as equally quick as my America with much sharper handling. Her's had a pipe and jet kit installed by the boyfriend.
Not exactky new riders, they have both been riding a 250 for a few years now and I think they are okay to move up. They are just sunday afternoon riders. Just not sure how far they can move up and they certainly don't need 150 mph speed. 70 mph would be fine.

Texas,

I agree, however the extra accelleration can let you be slower in the corners too, if you know what I mean.

drlapo

Hooligan
the EX 500 Kaw is not a slow bike; 63 bhp 6 speed, disc brakes, top end of 115+mph
sound familiar? it is lighter and faster than a Bonneville
but I have a 2006 EX500 in my basement for 2 years+ and can't sell the damned thing

nohawk

Rocker
It would be tempting to get the 650 even though the ex500 is just fine, the kawasaki dealer here has leftover 09 versys and er650 for 5k