A cafe Bonneville questions

dctex

moped
Good morning, folks. I'm new to the site--though, I'm not new to Triumph motorcycles. I used to own a Speed Four.

I currently ride a 2006 R6 but find that bike "too focused" for my typical riding, which is a mix of commuting, back roads and sport touring. I just haven't been able to do track days like I had hoped, which makes my current ride somewhat of a waste.

I've been on the lookout for Thruxtons for some time after seeing one in person about a year ago. But given how hard it is to find them around my area (and the general satisfaction of doing my own wrenching), my other thought was to cafe a Bonny.

I've definitely searched the forum for folks who cafe'd their Bonneville (there are some extremely nice examples on this forum), but I still found some of unanswered questions:

1. I know that the Thruxton is set up for quicker turn-in (I believe that it's due to a smaller front wheel and some differences in suspension height). What's the easiest way to enhance turn-in on a Bonneville? I probably would install clip-ons. If I were to slide the fork tubes up in the triple clamps and put the clip-ons over the upper triple clamp, I assume that would increase turn-in. But would it make the bike too twitchy? And would it affect road clearance while leaned over in a turn?

That said, given my shorter stature (5'6"), I probably would appreciate the Bonny's slightly lower seat height (in comparison to a Thruxton).

2. Do the Bonnevilles have the infamous plastic fuel fittings (on the gas tank) that plagued my Speed Four? I actually removed them and replaced them with some metal fittings. Would I need to do the same on a Bonny?

3. This goes for both the Bonneville and the Thruxton - is it daunting to sport tour on these bikes since they have tubed tires? How hard is it to fix a puncture?

I'd also welcome any other thoughts about the subject.

Thanks in advance for your input.

I can answer one of your questions. The base Bonneville and the SE (i believe) have the mag wheels as apposed to the T100 that has the spoked wheels. The mags are 17" both front and rear and dont use tubed tires. Thats about as far as my knowledge goes, someone else should chime in at any minute, these guys on here are great. And welcome to the forum!

strokerlmt

Welcome to NBR....I am 5 9" and have the alloy wheels on my Bonneville. I stand very flat footed. I do a lot of back roads non highway and we take off for 2 day camp trips. The bike performs well packed up and unpacked and I have done 500 miles in a day with ease.
LMT

2Monkeys

Street Tracker
I rode a CBR before I got my bonnie. If you are use to a sport bike you will find that you end up scrapin the pegs quite a bit. That said I would never go back...

dctex

moped
Thanks for the responses, folks. I'd prefer carbs on the bike (instead of FI), so I think that the SE Bonny's with mag wheels are out. Plus, I'm looking to buy older/cheaper (with the spoked wheels), so I can spend the requisite money on aftermarket parts.

Good to hear so many good things about the bike.

Any thoughts about raising the fork tubes in the upper triple for quicker turn-in and clip-ons would be welcome.

Thanks again.

Texas94fs

Hooligan
You will kill some of the clearance by doing so. TO increase turn in it'd be better to get a set of thruxton length rear shocks that are 1 inch higher. You won't be dissapointed unless you are a "straight line hero" in the tight twisties its totally tits.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Good morning, folks. I'm new to the site--though, I'm not new to Triumph motorcycles. I used to own a Speed Four.

I currently ride a 2006 R6 but find that bike "too focused" for my typical riding, which is a mix of commuting, back roads and sport touring. I just haven't been able to do track days like I had hoped, which makes my current ride somewhat of a waste.

I've been on the lookout for Thruxtons for some time after seeing one in person about a year ago. But given how hard it is to find them around my area (and the general satisfaction of doing my own wrenching), my other thought was to cafe a Bonny.

I've definitely searched the forum for folks who cafe'd their Bonneville (there are some extremely nice examples on this forum), but I still found some of unanswered questions:

1. I know that the Thruxton is set up for quicker turn-in (I believe that it's due to a smaller front wheel and some differences in suspension height). What's the easiest way to enhance turn-in on a Bonneville? I probably would install clip-ons. If I were to slide the fork tubes up in the triple clamps and put the clip-ons over the upper triple clamp, I assume that would increase turn-in. But would it make the bike too twitchy? And would it affect road clearance while leaned over in a turn?

That said, given my shorter stature (5'6"), I probably would appreciate the Bonny's slightly lower seat height (in comparison to a Thruxton).

2. Do the Bonnevilles have the infamous plastic fuel fittings (on the gas tank) that plagued my Speed Four? I actually removed them and replaced them with some metal fittings. Would I need to do the same on a Bonny?

3. This goes for both the Bonneville and the Thruxton - is it daunting to sport tour on these bikes since they have tubed tires? How hard is it to fix a puncture?

I'd also welcome any other thoughts about the subject.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Hi and welcome to the forum.
ans:
1. Twitchiness will not be a problem because it the 19 inch front wheel that slows turn in. Yes the triple tree yoke on a Thrux is drilled at a slightly more upright angle and the height of the rear shocks is also what contributes to its trail and turn in. That said, the cost of taking a bonneville fully in the direction of the Thrux...knowing that is what you prefer is a bit of a waste. It is much cheaper and expedient to simply buy a used Thruxton...many fine examples for sale throughout the country.

2. gas tank fitting issues are not a problem on these bikes.

3. This comes up from time to time and in fact recently on the board. Opinions vary but will give you mine. If it is your intent to "sport tour" then purchase a motorcycle specifically designed for this task which includes hard bags, rearsets and wind protection. Most modern motorcycles also have alloy wheels which are tubeless and they are MUCH easier to repair out on the open road. Can you tour on a bonny or Thruxton? Of course. Is it as good as a myriad of other bikes for the job including the Triumph Sprint ST? Not even close.

Triumph makes a diversity of fantastic bikes and that includes the bonny and the Thruxton. The key is to buy the bike you want for the type of riding you plan to do.
PS: since you are inseam challenged and if you do decide you want a modern classic, my suggestion is a Thruxton with shorter rear shocks in back and the triple trees slipped down 1/2 inch in front.

Last edited:

strokerlmt

Chris's PS.......or do a Bonneville with alloys, Thrux triples, new shocks and RICORS INTIM up front and get great handling. :)))
LMT

As a fellow "inseam challenged" rider (i too stand 5'6") I have a bonnie black with mags, stock suspension all the way around, no mufflers (you lose like 50lbs) and a thrux gel seat. At a stop I am almost flat footed, two up riding I am completely flat footed. Just to give you an idea.

dctex

moped
Thanks for the replies, folks. And thanks in particular to Chris for responding point-by-point. Re: the sport touring thing. I should have been clearer. I just want the capability to do sport touring every now and then. The vast majority of my riding is within an hour or so of my home (the price of having kids). I'll do 400+ mile rides every once in a while on a given weekend, but I don't need a dedicated sport tourer for that.

Basically, I want a fun motorcycle that is reasonable for commuting and can handle twisty backroads but doesn't need to be flogged near the redline all the time. Sounds like a Thruxton or modified Bonneville would fit the bill.

Good point about just getting a Thrux, as opposed to getting a Bonny to turn into a Thrux. I guess that it would come down to what would fall close enough into my budget--a Thrux or a Bonneville that's cheap enough to give me additional budget for aftermarket bits.

I'm probably over-emphasizing the inseam/seat height issue. I am on a 33+ inch seat height with the R6 right now. But with the added weight of either Triumph, being a bit closer to the ground would be ideal.

Newbonnierider, you noted the loss of weight by removing the mufflers (I assume that you must have some sort of pipes, though). I actually was wondering about weight reductions on either a Thrux or a Bonnie. I assume that changing the exhaust and removing the rear fender are obvious choices. What else can be done to reduce weight? This isn't an imperative--more of a curiosity.

Also, this again goes back to my Speed Four -- how are the rubber components on both the Bonneville and Thruxton, like hoses, battery straps, etc.? I only ask because the rubber components like the breather hose, battery strap and airbox strap were crap on the Speed Four and disintegrated like cardboard. It's easy enough to replace that stuff, but I was just curious about folks' experiences with them.

Thanks again for the input.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Dctex,
Reason I make the point about turning a bonny into a Thrux is because that is the direction MANY take as their riding and familiarity of the bike evolves. I am a notable example. I bought the bonny thinking that the std riding position would be best. I don't like the cruiser feet forward position and didn't want a superman sport bike position so thought a bonny std peg position would be ideal. I was mistaken slightly. There is an in between position which is like a Thruxton...which is similar to a Speed or Street 3 and even the Sprint ST. To me this is a more neutral riding position as you spend more time on the motorcycle...very close to the Honda VFR position (below) which is considered by some to be the most comfortable sport touring bike ever produced. So no question coming off a R6 you would not like the std bonny position...you will catch way too much air and your torso is locked too upright with your feet out in front. Many come to this conclusion which can't be determined on a test ride and why you see all the cafe'd bonnies out there. I in fact am taking my T100 in this direction right now. To do it again, I would have bought a Thruxton. But, that said, I do have a soft spot for the full fendered bonny which takes me back to my youth and a cafe'd bonny is a wonderful bike and a bit more stable bike in fact with more raked front end and 19 inch wheel...which some will like and others will not.
Cheers.

Attachments

• Honda VFR.jpg
    Honda VFR.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

strokerlmt

Chris you have a way with words........there is the "happy in between" mod to the Bonneville that isn't 100% Thrux but gets you away from that upright ride position. I'm so used to my ride position now that a Thrux seems like a dragster to me. Ahhhh.....to each his own....
LMT

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Chris you have a way with words........there is the "happy in between" mod to the Bonneville that isn't 100% Thrux but gets you away from that upright ride position. I'm so used to my ride position now that a Thrux seems like a dragster to me. Ahhhh.....to each his own....
LMT
Lash,
Many shades in between as you say..bars are a big factor as well. Many put risers on the VFR for example and even change the seat angle to take a bit of pressure off the hands. Even Triumph is guilty of this with the Thruxton. Too many Thruxtons sitting on dealer floors until they ditched the clip-ons (that many love) replaced with a low rise handlebar to get the riding position more upright which no doubt has created more sales of Thruxtons.
Cheers.

Last edited:

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
1. I don't know of anyone who has slid the fork tubes up. I put the longer thrux shocks on, which quickened it up a bit. I do think the longer shocks account for all the difference in steering angle.

2. Fittings are a non issue on these bikes.

3. I don't really think about the repairs while touring, although I bring fix a flat and a credit card. If you get a puncture, you could pull the tube out of the tire and patch it on the side of the road..

I really agree with what Chris said about the riding position. Could be a little more forward.... I bet a Thrux is just about perfect...

Kirkus51

Hooligan
I've got Thrux length shocks (off a kawasaki) and intimidators on the front end of my 07 Black. It's night and day difference to me, stiffer on the front end, but those mods have renedered the Centerstand useless. I can live with putting a 2x4 under it to lube the chain though. I am thinking of lowering the forks about 1/2 to 1 inch to get the geometry a bit better, but I'm in no hurry. I'm a mesomorph so I don't stand flat footed at stoplights like I did with the stock setup.

Craigore

TT Racer
Touring on my cafe'd Bonneville is pretty okay. I've got rearsets, clipons, thruxton length shocks and seat, etc. etc. Just did 675 miles from Ohio to NY for the AMA Vintage show. No problems.

b622fc65.jpg

By the way, it rained HARD for 150 miles of my trip there and the thing didn't bog down even with the airbox removed and K&N filters in it's place

neuroboy

750cc
'05 bonnie moving slowly toward thruxton over here. thruxton seat, rear sets, shorty rear fender, thruxton-length KYB shocks that came off a ZRX, "ace" bars, and blunt ends on my headers. love. it. i have a friend with a sensible fz6 used primarily for commuting and he loves-loves taking spins on my bike.

i've considered clip-ons but, given that it only takes me 15 minutes to go from clip-on position to more upright for long weekend trips is priceless, i suspect i won't make the move until i have a second bike for 2-up and/or >1-day trips.

it can be expensive if you need to have all the part on your bike yesterday, but if you're patient and smart about it you can find everything you need for less cash. That said, it'll likely be more expensive to convert rather that buy a thruxton but if you're smart it won't be by much and 1) you won't have to wait to find a thruxton and 2) i've found the bike feels more "mine" the more i change it compared to buying an off-the-shelf cafe'd bike (i.e. the thrux) and leaving it as is. to be honest thought, you're probably gonna spend money on either bike once you land one.

all that said, if i'd had had the cash for a thruxton a few years ago i might be singing a different tune. the thruxton is a great bike, too (i mean, it's essentially the same bike).

dctex

moped
Touring on my cafe'd Bonneville is pretty okay. I've got rearsets, clipons, thruxton length shocks and seat, etc. etc. Just did 675 miles from Ohio to NY for the AMA Vintage show. No problems.

b622fc65.jpg

By the way, it rained HARD for 150 miles of my trip there and the thing didn't bog down even with the airbox removed and K&N filters in it's place

Now, that is a sweet looking bike! Good to hear that it did well on the trip. I definitely ride in the rain...and once through hail (but not by choice)...so the bike needs to be able to handle the elements relatively well. Good to know that the Bonneville is up to the task.

Neuroboy, you're right. The danger is that I'd spend $$$ on aftermarket parts on either bike, so getting a Thruxton at a good price doesn't necessarily mean that I'd save money in the long-term. :)

Any comments on the weight-loss question? Anything I could work with beyond exhaust and fenders?

One other technical question - which Bonnevilles got tachometers? Only certain years? Certain models? I should know this...

Thanks for the input again, folks.

2Monkeys

Street Tracker
On carb models (01-08 in the US) the T-100 and Thruxton come with tachs. I don't do EFI sorry... but there are many sources for after market tacks that are not that expecsive, and don't make the front of your bike look like it has Mickey Mouse ears. :)