Looking to plan an epic CO Mountain Ride

Oxblood

750cc
So I'm going to be back in Colorado in a couple weeks and want to plan a mountain ride for me and the wife to tackle, spending around a week and lots of camping. Places I want to go are the Million Dollar Highway, The Great Sand Dunes, Harsel Co, her family has a cabin up near estes park and just general mountains. I'll be starting and stopping in the Glenwood Springs area. In all my years in Colorado I spent most of my time in either Denver or Grand Junction skipping over the mountains to get from one to the other.

So anyone that knows the mountains have any cool stuff to do or route change suggestions?

Quick Google Maps Route

untitled.JPG

Last edited:

Gretsch

Rocker
Dude, you're gonna' love Sand Dunes National Park. You might want to check out Taos NM when you're down that way. Gunnison is also a cool little town to check out but it's way out of you're planned route.

Last edited:

Iceseven

750cc
Man what a trip! Looks like you have the best of Colorado in your route. Ouray is one of my favorite places, there are hot springs in town. Looks like you have Trail Ridge Road through RMNP on your route, that is amazing on a bike.

Like Kirkus mentioned the Black Canyon of the Gunnison is amazing, Durango is cool. Not sure if you have any interest in Aspen, it is an ok place to visit but quite snobby so if you go there just watch "dumb and Dumber" first to prepare yourself for the attitudes.

Dude I live outside of Estes Park so if you want to grab a quick beer in town PM me, Kirkus and Gretsch may want to join?

Oxblood

750cc
Man what a trip! Looks like you have the best of Colorado in your route. Ouray is one of my favorite places, there are hot springs in town. Looks like you have Trail Ridge Road through RMNP on your route, that is amazing on a bike.

Like Kirkus mentioned the Black Canyon of the Gunnison is amazing, Durango is cool. Not sure if you have any interest in Aspen, it is an ok place to visit but quite snobby so if you go there just watch "dumb and Dumber" first to prepare yourself for the attitudes.

Dude I live outside of Estes Park so if you want to grab a quick beer in town PM me, Kirkus and Gretsch may want to join?

Keep the specific roads coming!

Coming into Estes park from the west which would be the better ride 34 or 36? Then headed out of town east CO road 43?

Matt

outwestrider

Scooter
Specific roads

So .. this is long - but my back yard riding areas - so bear with me .....

After coming north out of Durango over the Million Dollar Hwy in to Ridgeway, go left / west on Colorado 62 to Colorado 145 to Norwood and then North on Colorado 141 through Gateway, CO. Stop in Gateway at the Gateway Auto Museum - it's awesome! Allow at least 2 hours there. The museum is the personal collection of the guy who owns all the Discovery Channels. Check it out here - gatewayautomuseum.com . CO 141 comes back around on to CO 50 - then you can go south (a bit boring through raw open desert - but not too far) back to your proposed route over to Montrose and the Black Canyon National Park ( take the road to the bottom for sure ). You can go all the way to Gunnison after the Black Canyon - or turn left on CO 92 and go over Black Mesa - one of the finest motorbike roads in the state - through Crawford (home of Joe Cocker) and on to Hotckiss, CO - stay west on CO 92 then north on CO 65 (scenic byway) over the Grand Mesa (cool on top usually - over 10k elevation) and then pick-em --- west on I-70 to get you back towards Grand Junction and the routes listed below through Loma, CO or east back to Rifle and your north route or further back to Glenwood to finish.

The other option after the Black Mesa (CO 92) is to go east on CO 133 through Paonia and the coal mine area over McLure pass past Marble, CO and around north to Carbondale putting you really close to Glenwood for the finish.

...or go north on 50 to Grand Junction after doing the Gateway, CO thing, west on I-70 for about a quick 15 miles (posted 75 mph) to Loma, CO (stop for fuel here! nothing on 139 until Rangely) and turn north on CO 139 over Douglas pass and on to Rangely, CO (fuel again)- then turn right on CO 64 east to Meeker and back on to your route up north on CO 13. FYI lots of oil field traffic, trucks and such on CO 13 going north out of Rifle to Meeker. If you have to take the Rifle to Meeker route, at least go through New Castle just west of Glenwood and up and around the "HogBack" and see Rifle Falls state park, Rifle Gap and Harvey Gap reservoirs the back way and end up on the north end of Rifle instead of the drone down I-70 at 75mph form Glenwood to Rifle. Or the reverse if coming from the north in to
Rifle - go east behind the "HogBack" in to New Castle then Glenwood. 3 times as long and a 20 times nicer ride.

Sorry this is confusing - way to many roads to list - and I just hit the highlights - pm me and I'll give you other ways to link all this together and places to eat (and avoid) and where to find fuel .......................

Oxblood, On your latest map are aware that your route from Rifle to Hwy 133 and then from Hwy 133 to Crested Butte are gravel/dirt roads? We are having monsoon rains here so be sure to check with locals for road conditions.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
If you hit Estes Park, the Stanley hotel is worth a stop in. If nothing else to see the Stanley Steamer and visit where The Shining was partially filmed.

Yes it was built by one of those Stanleys.

Gretsch

Rocker
If you hit Estes Park, the Stanley hotel is worth a stop in. If nothing else to see the Stanley Steamer and visit where The Shining was partially filmed.

Yes it was built by one of those Stanleys.

*2 because I cant find the fucking plus key on this new iMac...

Estes Park is cool. Plus, you can see Iceseven and get him out for a ride.

Oxblood

750cc
Oxblood, On your latest map are aware that your route from Rifle to Hwy 133 and then from Hwy 133 to Crested Butte are gravel/dirt roads? We are having monsoon rains here so be sure to check with locals for road conditions.

Damn now I gotto reroute my ride I've had the Bonnevillle in the mud but I wouldn't want to do any long stretches on it. On the other hand I've been looking at a DR650 pretty hard lately...
P1010418.JPG

All of the roads suggested are good rides. Some better others. If you tried to ride all of them and see the sites you would need three weeks. If I had to pick one or two they would be Hwy 92 between Crawford and Hwy 50. And Hwy 114 between Gateway and Naturita. My wife and I first rode 114 in 1995 and have been pointing people towards it since then. It is a little bit busier now that the resort is there. But not much. I always say to people, You know how you see the road signs with the arrow that looks like an upside down U with a speed limit of 10 or 15 mph. On 114 the signs have the same U shaped arrow but with a speed limit of 45 or 50 mph. Can you say leaned over for a long time and doing 75 or 80 mph. Great Fun.

Link to Gateway Canyons Resort: http://www.gatewaycanyons.com/

When does you adventure start? Maybe some of us could ride some of you route with you and get to meet each other.

outwestrider

Scooter
BreckRider is right - CO141 is high speed cornering fun - plus it links easily with CO92 and your route - besides the curves of CO141 you get the kickass car museum at the resort BreckRider mentioned.

Hey BreckRider been up there long? I was with the SO for 5 years and then FPD after that - might know ya? - sluming it in Fruita now.

Ya'll - anyone - should pm me when down this way in CO and if I'm off I'll take ya on the nickel tour - or at least point to you to good roads and food ...

Iceseven

750cc
*Estes Park is cool. Plus, you can see Iceseven and get him out for a ride.

Gretsch, I only get my bike out for special occasions:) The OX would be one and you and Kirkus coming up would be another! Hopefully one day.

Last edited: