New Bonnie owner! - questions...

tbirdsp

Scooter
Well, I'm going to go with TOR's instead - just scored a set on eBay new-in-box for a great price:rock:

tbirdsp

Scooter
Ikon 7610 shocks with black springs and Triumph solo seat installed. Oh, removed stupid amber reflectors from forks too. Waiting on black fly screen and Renntec rack.

DSCF1080.jpg

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Looks great....tasteful mods and good seat choice. For the Ikon's did you go with higher ride height?...transform the ride quality? Next?...adios the lollipop mirrors. :)...Naps or one of the other excellent bar end mirrors...a few good choices.
A further tip is roll the bars down to within a inch or so of the tank at full lock. This for me dramatically improves the riding position with the stock bars...and you may even notice more seat comfort because your tailbone isn't as pile driven...in my case.
Tors for the new EFI alloy wheeled bonnie are different than the peashooters in that that they are reverse cone. If time permits, post a sound clip. They may sound closer to the Dom Tourings with their can shape.
Cheers.

Last edited:

Gretsch

Rocker
Now that you have gotten used to the STR, recognizing they are very different bikes...was it the right move?
I know saying it wasn't would be an admission of guilt ;) but...was is? :)

Well I don't smile any less when I ride the STR than I did on the Bonneville. :D

It was the right move for me. I like the quicker handling and additional power. To me the Street looks and feels like the 2010 version of the Bonneville. It was also a logical progression for me as a rider.

The thing I miss most about the Bonneville is that it was a very unique bike. What I mean by that is it was unique among other Bonnevilles. If you check out all the bikes on this forum you'll be hard pressed to find any two that look alike. You'll rarely see a bone stock Bonneville or Thruxton. The STR can be customized to an extent but at the end of the day one STR will look similar to the next. I think this will change as more aftermarket parts become available and people start to do more radical mods to their bikes.

I learned a lot on that bike and put a good amount of elbow grease and money into modifications. It will always hold a special place in my hart. I will own a Thruxton one day so it's not as if I'm "over" the classic style.

I don't regret the STR, but I do wish I could have kept the Bonneville.

Last edited:

tbirdsp

Scooter
The only thing I hate more than the mirrors is the ridiculous "urine cup":rolleyes: It will REALLY stand out once the lollipops are gone. Are the aftermarket ones easy to install without introducing a bunch of air into the system?
I'll probably go with CRG's.

strokerlmt

Bleeding the brake system is easier than you thing. I like some of the aftermarket cups......BTW the bike is looking great...
LMT

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Well I don't smile any less when I ride the STR than I did on the Bonneville. :D

It was the right move for me. I like the quicker handling and additional power. To me the Street looks and feels like the 2010 version of the Bonneville. It was also a logical progression for me as a rider.

The thing I miss most about the Bonneville is that it was a very unique bike. What I mean by that is it was unique among other Bonnevilles. If you check out all the bikes on this forum you'll be hard pressed to find any two that look alike. You'll rarely see a bone stock Bonneville or Thruxton. The STR can be customized to an extent but at the end of the day one STR will look similar to the next. I think this will change as more aftermarket parts become available and people start to do more radical mods to their bikes.

I learned a lot on that bike and put a good amount of elbow grease and money into modifications. It will always hold a special place in my hart. I will own a Thruxton one day so it's not as if I'm "over" the classic style.

I don't regret the STR, but I do wish I could have kept the Bonneville.
Thoughtful words and makes total sense to me. I do share your belief that the new STR is more of a contemporary representation of the early bonneville than the Hinkley remake as technology marches forward. :) I like the looks of the STR. No doubt it is a blast to ride.
I think a Thruxton would make a perfect stable mate. To do it again, I may have opted for the Thruxton versus my T100 which I still love.
I am still looking for some Hyde rearsets to Thruxton-ize my bonnie.
Cheers.

Last edited:

Gretsch

Rocker
The only thing I hate more than the mirrors is the ridiculous "urine cup":rolleyes: It will REALLY stand out once the lollipops are gone. Are the aftermarket ones easy to install without introducing a bunch of air into the system?
I'll probably go with CRG's.

Yeah that's my next mod too. You're absolutely right about how bad it looks once the mirrors are gone.

Thoughtful words and makes total sense to me. I do share your belief that the new STR is more of a contemporary representation of the early bonneville than the Hinkley remake as technology marches forward. :) I like the looks of the STR. No doubt it is a blast to ride.
I think a Thruxton would make a perfect stable mate. To do it again, I may have opted for the Thruxton versus my T100 which I still love.
I am still looking for some Hyde rearsets to Thruxton-ize my bonnie.
Cheers.

Might be cheaper to sell the Bonnie and get a Thruxton vs. Thruxton-ize it. I was thinking the exact same thing before the STR. I was torn between the Thrux and the STR. We know how that turned out...... :sportbike:

tbirdsp

Scooter
Got my TOR's on. Haven't taken a proper ride yet, but so far I *really* like the sound. Anything louder would have been too much. Hopefully I'll get her out for a run later today.:ride:
Edit: looking at this pic - the red reflectors have to go. I'm on it!

DSCF1086.jpg

Last edited:

tbirdsp

Scooter
Thanks strokerlmt! I almost like this Bonnie better than my old TBS...

Speed3Chris, I sent you a couple of PM's

Gretsch

Rocker
I really like how they've painted on the Triumph logo on the new Blacks. Looks sharp and since you cant change out tank badges any more this seems like a nice option. Very classy looking bike. Ace the reflectors and ET lights and you're off to the races.

tbirdsp

Scooter
Latest version. Installed CRG-clone mirrors and removed red reflectors on rear fender.
I picked up a used T100 seat I'm going to use when I carry gear/passenger. The stocker is *too* low, seat to peg distance too close. Solo seat and T100 one are at least 1" taller.
Black Renntec sport rack and tail pack should be here next Wednesday. Hoping to take a ~1000-mile trip next weekend.
DSCF1098.jpg

I am probably a bit late in the game, but here is my 2 cents.

I have a 2007 Bonnie, so no EFI. ^_^

I am a firm believer in not replacing it until its broken, because eventually it will break and you might as well upgrade then.

25,000 miles on mine. The seat is just now where I should probably replace the OEM with a Corbin.

If comfort is what you are looking for and hwy speeds are common, bump the front sprocket up to 18T (or 19T if the EFI come with a 18T.) Don't mess with the rear, it will be too much. Knock our the AI to balance out the sprocket. I also put on the Triumph loud exhaust and rejetted. That helped to find that sweet spot too.

Metzlers Lasertec tires, live by 'em. Very good tires and comfy too.

I don't know if you already bought your centerstand, but I went Triumph with it because Norman Hyde saves you maybe 20 or 30 bucks. Might as well. It was cake to install. The spring was the hardest part, but that comes with the territory.

some good places to get parts, newbonneville.com and triumphdetroit.com. Triumph Detroit has gone above and beyond for me several times. They are good people. They also had everything on my list that everyone else claimed out of stock or discontinued. It was AWESOME! XD

I have done a whole bunch of other stuff to the bike, but that is all I saw that concerned you.

It is really easy to relocate the blinkers too. I dropped them down like the Thruxton. Bought the bracket and it was done. The fork gaitors are a must. I had those on at 0 miles.

OH! P.S.

Keep that thing garaged or get a Cycle Shell! Most of the screws on the engine are made in China and rust like crazy!!!!

Last edited:

tbirdsp

Scooter
Touring mode with T100 seat (thicker than stock mag-wheel bike seat), Renntec rack, cheapo Givi-knockoff tail trunk, SealLine dry bag.
Not the greatest look but practical. I'll probably run with the rack removed and solo seat installed most of the time. I'll eventually get to the fly screen (still on backorder), lights, front brake reservoir, and fork gaiters, but I think I'm done for a while.
Going on a ~1000-mile weekend trip tomorrow with a group of sport touring guys - Duc ST3, FJR1300, BMW RT, ST1300, etc.:)

DSCF1101.jpg

Last edited:

tbirdsp

Scooter
Back from trip. 930 miles in 3 days (150+360+420).
Omaha -Des Moines, IA - Jefferson City, MO - Omaha
Didn't take many pics - it was freakin' HOT!
Group was Yamaha FJR 1300, BMW R1200RT, Ducati ST3, Suzuki SV1000, and my Bonnie. Bike did great - I think I'll stick to my ST1100 for long-distance touring though.

Map (GPS battery died on the way home so blue track stopped short of Omaha)
jcmap.jpg

Gas in Centerville, IA
DSCF1103.jpg

Lunch in Fayette, MO. Note temp on bank sign. It went up 2 more degrees by the time we ate.
DSCF1108.jpg

Last edited:

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
T-bird,
Congrats on the your trip on new bonnie. Glad it ran great and brought you home safely.
Did you have a chance to exchange bikes with the other guys for reference? Lots of great touring bikes in the mix on your trip. Did you travel mostly interstate or back roads?
With those temps, no doubt it felt better to keep moving. :)
Cheers.

Last edited: