New Bonnie owner! - questions...

tbirdsp

Scooter
Well, I am now the proud owner of a used 2009 Bonneville Black - with 276 miles on it;)

Some questions -
I thought I could use my universal Pit Bull rear swingarm stand - no way. Mufflers and maybe brake caliper in the way. I can use the old dirt bike trick of propping it up on the side stand to get the rear wheel off the ground though. It certainly looks like accessing the chain for cleaning/lubing is difficult - any tricks?
It *looks* like I should be able to use my Craftsman motorcycle jack to lift the whole bike from the frame rails underneath. Should clear the exhaust - barely. Anyone else using one of these jacks to lift the whole bike?
I was pretty set on a Bonnie but the test ride clinched the deal - what a wonderful machine! The stock bars even work well for my busted up right shoulder. Going for a ride tomorrow with some friends, can't wait:rock:

Bonafide

NBR founder
Mine isnt a craftsman ... but I have a M/C floor jack that lifts the bike just fine. Just be aware of the oil filter's location.

Congrats on the new purchase - now post some pics!!

tbirdsp

Scooter
Mine isnt a craftsman ... but I have a M/C floor jack that lifts the bike just fine. Just be aware of the oil filter's location.

Congrats on the new purchase - now post some pics!!

Thanks Bonafide. I saw that I would have to watch out for the filter. I guess it balances OK with the jack placed forward of it?

The Dude abides...

Here's a pic from the dealer - hopefully doesn't violate any spam rules...
dealersite%2Fimages%2Fbaxtercycle%2Fvp1662188_1_large.jpg

tbirdsp

Scooter
Also - I want to remove the really cool reflectors:hj: Looks like just double sided tape. A little gentle heat?

The one under the taillight is gone already...

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Just a thought but you could always throw a center stand up on your bike to the get the rear up. I put one on my as soon as I got it and damn glad I did. Probably the most useful addition I have purchased for my Creamsicle. Look at the Norman Hyde one if it is an idea you like...they are cheaper than the Triumph ones and go on without any hassles whatsoever. Mine has worked like a champ from the very second it was put on.

I pretty well do all my work with the centre stand (normally on a block of wood) and a few bricks in front to get the additional stability or lift on front wheel if say removing front forks.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
T-bird,
Craftsman motorcycle jack works fine...many have them for these bikes including me...sold one with my last bike and just bought another...hard to beat for the $$.
Best tip for lubing the chain?...you will get many responses. My solution is a Harbor Freight wheel cleaning stand....about $30. Push bike rear wheel over a small and low profile ramped platform with front and back roller...put it in neutral and now you can rotate the wheel with your hands and leave the bike in place...also good for cleaning the rear wheel. :) Tipping the bike on the side stand is too risky for me and I really don't want to put a center stand on my bike.

Last tip for removing reflectors....hair dryer or heat gun...not too hot....wick some goo gone or mineral spirits over the interface
...and use dental floss....same process for debadging cars.
Have fun and congrats on your new bike!

Last edited:

Chris in NC

Street Tracker
Also - I want to remove the really cool reflectors:hj: Looks like just double sided tape. A little gentle heat?

The one under the taillight is gone already...

Piece o' cake.. Get a 12" +/- piece of thin nylon cord (a boot lace might work) and simple pull it from one end to the other behind the reflector. Go slow. It'll come right off. You'll be able to get the remaining adhesive off the fender with a heat gun and (I use 3M brand) adhesive remover.

5 minute job.

Same goes with the front reflectors.

New Bonnie Owner - Questions

Recommend the Norman Hyde Centre stand, easy to use too.
less fuss that Triumphs own i should imagine - more parts than a jigsaw.

Cheers
Steve

Nice purchase.

Like others have said, the m/c jack works fine once you figure out where to place it. Mine slides just behind the sidestand (when the sidestand is down) and the forward lift lands wherever with no troubles.

I use my jack for cleaning and lubing the chain. I just balance the thing on there and go to town.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
nice bike.

2x4 placed under the right muffler while on the sidestand , a little lift and the back wheel comes right off the ground....

tbirdsp

Scooter
Went for a 250-mile ride today and everything was great - until the toe piece fell off of the shifter:mad:
I tried to thread a regular metric bolt in the hole but it started feeling weird so I stopped. Is it fine thread or some weird tapered deal?
This bike wasn't originally purchased at the dealer I got it from, so I don't really blame them. I'm going to try to ride it over tomorrow and get the break in oil change done and have them fix the shifter. I'm sure they will make it right even if they have to pull the part from another bike.

Really diggin' the Bonnie though, exactly what I wanted :ride:

Oxblood

750cc
Went for a 250-mile ride today and everything was great - until the toe piece fell off of the shifter:mad:
I tried to thread a regular metric bolt in the hole but it started feeling weird so I stopped. Is it fine thread or some weird tapered deal?

When I broke mine off I just used a regular metric bolt to replace it and put a nut on it to tighten against the shift arm. Been on there a couple of years now with no problems.

picture.php

geolpilot

Street Tracker
You can save a ton of money with the heavy duty motorcycle lift from Harbor Freight. I have had one for 2.5 years and it is great. The yellow one.

Stars&Bars

Two Stroke
Say tbirdsp, You sure have a sharp lookin bike there! It's always wild when someone post a picture of their 2009 Bonneville Black that it looks so much different than my 2009 Bonneville Black.
Oh yeah, I had the dealer order a centerstand for it before I left the shop, it was sent to me and I installed it in no time flat.
To me, a centerstand is worth every penny.

tbirdsp

Scooter
Got the shifter fixed and the break in oil change done today at the dealer. I put 400 miles on her the last 2 days:up:
DSCF1069.jpg

AceT100

Rocker
Use dental floss to remove the reflectors on the back, then some WD40 or Goof B Gone or similar to get the glue residue off.

I have the Harbor freight wheel stand for lubing the chain, works well.

Sharp looking bike