HELP!!! Bonnie dies sitting at stop lights

Hey all...

So my Bonneville has been acting kinda strange lately. In the past (though rare) my Bonneville would just die out sitting at a stop light and I would have to restart it really quick

However now its happening more frequent. If I sit at a light for more than a minute, the chances are pretty high it will die out and I will have to start it up again.

I checked under the seat for the wires and nothing looks crushed or bound to short out.

What do you think it could be?

koifarm

Hooligan
the usual blocked vent?
How do you run your gas cap, fully tightened or just tight till it snugs up?

Idle set too low?

When warmed up my idle sits around 900rpm. Ive toyed with it before and thought the same thing

the usual blocked vent?
How do you run your gas cap, fully tightened or just tight till it snugs up?

I tighten it up until it clicks. For the vent your talking about the rubberized vent hose or the vent hole on the gas tank where the cap screws in? Either way, should I blow compressed air to be sure?

Any other possible causes?

T-boy

Rocker
When warmed up my idle sits around 900rpm. Ive toyed with it before and thought the same thing

I tighten it up until it clicks. For the vent your talking about the rubberized vent hose or the vent hole on the gas tank where the cap screws in? Either way, should I blow compressed air to be sure?

Isn't the idle supposed to be set at 1100 rpm????

I think koi is referring to the overflow, vent hose that runs under the tank as well as the gas cap. Any kinks in the hose, etc? Try loosening the gas cap next time if you can before it cuts out. The cap itself is also vented.

koifarm

Hooligan
yepper, the gas cap, don't tighten till you hear a click, just snug it up hand tight......there have been some issues in the past with needing a six foot pipe wrench to get the gas cap off. It won't fall off if you don't click it...

don't think I'd blow compressed air in the vent but moreso remove the tank and then take out the tip over valve and put it back together, you can "gently" blow on the vent line inside the cap to make sure it's clear.

Here's a search link for that issue:

http://www.newbonnevilleriders.com/forum/search.php?searchid=133478

Last edited:

KingBear

Hooligan
I've had the same problem from time to time, I'm told it might be the mixture but I dunno how to fix it. :eek:

Bonafide

NBR founder

what kind of mods on the bike? And, what's the carb jetting size/tune? It all sounds like you have a carb issue (improper idle fuel mixture) and not an electrical one as you're suspecting with a pinched wire. If that was the case - then it should cut out/off while you're in motion .. not at idle.

How long/how many miles since your carbs were sync'd?

Sync'd relatively recently...about 2000 miles ago

+1. I was told by my dealer that the idle should be between 1100 and 1300. I would start with the idle adjustment. Seems like an easy peasy step to start with.

Ive fiddled with it. My problem seems to be intermittent and only happens when sitting at a light. Ive just started to notice that sitting for over a minute that the chances of stalling sitting ilde have increased. Today I sat at two lights for over a minute and it didn't stall out

what kind of mods on the bike? And, what's the carb jetting size/tune? It all sounds like you have a carb issue (improper idle fuel mixture) and not an electrical one as you're suspecting with a pinched wire. If that was the case - then it should cut out/off while you're in motion .. not at idle.

Bike is completely stock. I never changed any of the jets and never had it tuned. OEM pipes still on too.

If I have an improper idle fuel mixture, how do I go about fixing that?

coopv2

Street Tracker
better to take it to the mechanic who sync'd your carbs, you need a tool with a D shape end to move the mixture screw on each carb in or out to get the best idle. that screw is located in a post at the front of the carby bowl, near the inlet manifold

How long/how many miles since your carbs were sync'd?

Sync'd relatively recently...about 2000 miles ago

better to take it to the mechanic who sync'd your carbs, you need a tool with a D shape end to move the mixture screw on each carb in or out to get the best idle. that screw is located in a post at the front of the carby bowl, near the inlet manifold

Yep. Sounds like you need to take it back to the mechanic who sync'd em about 2000 miles ago.

Out of curiosity, if the bike is still bone stock, what was the need to have the carbs synce'd in the first place?

Perhaps the vacum caps or intake boots have cracks? I don't know. Just fishing. :D

Even if the bike is stock, its still a good idea to periodically synch the carbs. I checked mine at 9000 miles and they were way out of synch. Ran like new after that was taken care of. 900 seems like a pretty low idle too.

Chris in NC

Street Tracker
toob, You didn't mention what year your bike is..

There's been quite a bit of discussion on some of the other Triumph forums about the '06 and '07 Bonnies experiencing similar problems. My '07 T100 does the same thing if I leave the idle down around 1,000 rpm. If I bump it up to 1,500 rpm, no issues.

My motor is bone stock as well.

RICHW

Scooter
I used to have that trouble...

I had bumped up the idle to 1200 - until the Triumph mech said this:
"ride it like you stole it for a couple hundred miles" and whadya know:
now it runs fine at 1000 - so: GIT ON UP AN' RIDE IT! :motorbike2:

Oxblood

750cc
toob, You didn't mention what year your bike is..

There's been quite a bit of discussion on some of the other Triumph forums about the '06 and '07 Bonnies experiencing similar problems. My '07 T100 does the same thing if I leave the idle down around 1,000 rpm. If I bump it up to 1,500 rpm, no issues.

My motor is bone stock as well.

You got a link to this? My 07 suffers from the same problem.