Thruxton VS. Bonneville headers

Vendor
on a stock bike, or a heavily modded bike?

is the increase a percentage and not an absolute number... in which case is would be more if you had a BB kit, FCRs, cams, etc...?

Stock 790 motor, with airbox elimination kit and Dominator's.

BlackBonNYC

Two Stroke
Stock 790 motor, with airbox elimination kit and Dominator's.

you know... I have been riding around with the thrux headers and predators now for a couple of weeks (before i had sleepers and stock bonnie headers)

I think I DO notice a little bit more power. Though it could just feel that way because the predators are louder :)

Craigore

TT Racer
I just bought a set tonight from someone on the other forum, am looking for some Preds or Doms to accompany them.

If I can't, I'll pass them on and get the D&D 2-2 full

just trying to save a little money with this. if you got something to offer lemme know!

Last edited:
Thruxton pipes are longer before the first bend.

That was true up until 2008, from that year on Thruxton and Bonnie pipes are the same length to the first bend. You can see this for yourself here:-

2007 Triumphs

2008 Triumphs

Click on any of the Bonnie models then scroll down to the bottom of the page where you will find clickable thumbnails that take you to hi-res images.

The pipes on the 2007 bikes follow the same angle as the frame downtubes whereas the pipes on the 2008 bikes do not because they are longer to the first bend. If you check out the Thruxtons for comparison you will see that the 2008 Bonnie pipes are the same length to the first bend as Thruxton pipes.

BlackBonNYC

Two Stroke
That was true up until 2008, from that year on Thruxton and Bonnie pipes are the same length to the first bend. You can see this for yourself here:-

2007 Triumphs

2008 Triumphs

Click on any of the Bonnie models then scroll down to the bottom of the page where you will find clickable thumbnails that take you to hi-res images.

The pipes on the 2007 bikes follow the same angle as the frame downtubes whereas the pipes on the 2008 bikes do not because they are longer to the first bend. If you check out the Thruxtons for comparison you will see that the 2008 Bonnie pipes are the same length to the first bend as Thruxton pipes.

Are you just going by the pictures on that website to come to this conclusion? Because that can get kind of unreliable

My bike was a 2008 bonneville and my headers were definitely the short kind.

Vendor
Are you just going by the pictures on that website to come to this conclusion? Because that can get kind of unreliable

My bike was a 2008 bonneville and my headers were definitely the short kind.

The 09 US EFI bikes ( Bonnie-Thruxton) has same headers (long to the first bend).
The Aussies got the EFI bikes a year before us.

henrys

Street Tracker
I'm not sure but by looking at pictures the mag wheel bonnies and the thrux have the same silencers too...

PieMan

Two Stroke
Anyway i just did the switch and it's hard to tell if there is a difference, but I do notice that I have slightly more popping now on decel then I did before which would mean the pipes made me just a little more lean? So i suppose that indicates a performance increase, the question is just how much exactly.

Or it could mean you have an air leak at the head or at the silencer joint. Did you use new copper rings at the head and silicone sealer on the silencers?

BlackBonNYC

Two Stroke
Or it could mean you have an air leak at the head or at the silencer joint. Did you use new copper rings at the head and silicone sealer on the silencers?

it's not an abnormal amount of popping. It's very little and very mild almost not worth mentioning.

I just had almost zero before.

Yes I used brand new copper rings, RTV sealer at every connection and tightened down very well. A leak is unlikely

The 09 US EFI bikes ( Bonnie-Thruxton) has same headers (long to the first bend).
The Aussies got the EFI bikes a year before us.

Actually we Aussies got the EFI bikes in 2009 the same year as the US but Europe got the EFI bikes in 2008 so that probably explains the longer pipes in the images I linked to. It's likely that they used 2008 EFI European bikes for the photo shoot.

sportyone

Street Tracker
Actually we Aussies got the EFI bikes in 2009 the same year as the US but Europe got the EFI bikes in 2008 so that probably explains the longer pipes in the images I linked to. It's likely that they used 2008 EFI European bikes for the photo shoot.

well, mine is a 2008, last carby model, however it has the short before bend pipe, on looking at the cost of changing to gain maybe 3-5hp ? I don't think it could possibly warrant the AU$1300 !!

at AU$1300, one could buy lot more goodies for my bike I reckon ! :)

maybe I'll keep looking for some off a wreck over here in Australia. :)

the best $$ I have spent recently is having Pieman rework my igniter, way to go your own way !!! :australia:

Last edited:

mikenva

Rocker
really? Why does triumph not reflect that in their advertised HP for the thrux and bonnie? I mean, i know you have to take their numbers with a grain of salt, but nonetheless. Maybe the difference is amplified if you have other performance mods like FCRs or something?

Anyway i just did the switch and it's hard to tell if there is a difference, but I do notice that I have slightly more popping now on decel then I did before which would mean the pipes made me just a little more lean? So i suppose that indicates a performance increase, the question is just how much exactly.

But if it is 5 HP.. I'm definitely cool with that :rockon:
they did list thee thurx with more hp at one time and everything in the motors are the same as anyother 865 360 motor

mikenva

Rocker
thanks mate, but afterall that doesn't tell us with a 865cc engine, much really ?

anyone out there really know the figures for sure ?? :huh:
what works on a 790 will work on a 865.That man knows what he is telling you he has done more dyno work on these bikes then anyone I know.
When it comes to chaseing hp on these bikes better be ready to pay for it none of it is cheap.Its up to you what you think its worth .The thurx /domi set up looks good sounds good and is a high torque set up .As far as other systems go if you want just hp and looks and sound dont mater the D&D into 1 is the hp king .If you have to buy new headers and cant get a deal on thurx headers.The D&D 2into1 or there new 2into2 full system would be cheaper its all in what you want.