Going to Afghanistan...what to do with my T100???

Paddyboy30

Two Stroke
First, I'd like to say hi again...I've been away for quite a while!
Second, I'd like to say I'm going away for a longer while!!!

I just got word that I'm getting mobilized to Operation Enduring Freedom, and will be taking a year long taxpayer funded, action adventure vacation to Afghanistan!

So here's my problem: My 05 Creamsicle T100 started getting a little cancer in the salt air of VA Beach last year, and I haven't had time and funds to address it (she's also got about 35,000 miles on her). I'm also leaving in about a month, and don't have anywhere indoors to store her. While I don't want to get rid of her, and she's my first motorcycle, at the same time, I want a Thruxton, and am entertaining the idea of selling the T100 before I go, or seeing if a local shop can take it in and store it for a while, as well as maybe do some part swaps to take care of what rust is there. If I go with the Thruxton when I get home, I won't have room to keep the T100 around. Should I just sell it now and let someone else worry about her while I'm away? I'm having a hard time deciding on this one.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
My suggestion is sell it now before you go if you have time and pick up a Thruxton upon your return. Downside is, you won't get much money for it and you could repaint and customize the bike as a fun project when you get back. There likely isn't any best path here.

I want you to know how grateful I am for your bravery and come on back home safe.
God speed.

Paddyboy30

Two Stroke
Thanks for the thoughts! I'm just following footsteps of those who've come before me in the previous years and previous generations, and I'm just trying to not give them a bad name.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Hey man, good luck over there and do what you are trained for. I have been down to the sand box more times that I wish to mention but never to Afghanistan. Are you active or guard? Anyone on the base willing to hook you up with storage while you go on your deployment? I know I have done that favor before for a buddy. God speed to you and all the best from one Creamsicle owner to the other.

strokerlmt

Paddy.......stay safe....keep your head down and come back soon. No bike likes to sit for a year...maybe sell before you leave and pick up a nice Thrux as a home coming gift to yourself.
Thx for your service...
LMT

Kirkus51

Hooligan
If you're wanting a Thrux and you're leaving anyway, Sell the T100. You've already seen what the Ocean can do to a bike. I'm in awe of the service you're giving your country.

Flaco

750cc
Good luck in your decision and come home safe my friend!:usa:

How in the Sam Hill do you live with yourself riding a Triumph in Harleysville?

Ootnaboot

Scooter
Paddy: from a former Army infantryman, I want to thank you for your service and your bravery. May Providence bless you and your loved ones during your time away. If you PM me your email addy, I will drop you a line now and again whilst you're away.

I wish I could help you out with your T100. I can't imagine that there isn't someone on this forum, TRat or NTBF that isn't local to you and wouldn't mind holding your bike. I would definitely try the dealer route. Just play up the armed forces card.

Paddyboy30

Two Stroke
Thanks everyone for the advice and well wishes!

For those that asked, I'm Navy Reserve, but going to support a joint command (Individual Augmentee goodness).

Nothing wrong with Harleys, but I'm neither a cruiser, nor a sport bike guy (athough, the Daytona's are smokin' hot!), and I'm just in love with the way Bonneville's are.

I guess maybe I'll look at selling if my dealership doesn't get back to me, especially since I'd really like a Thrux, even though I'm a bit torn on the new fuel injected versions.

If can find someone to store for you. The Bon can be made into a very nice thruxton. With just different seat and cowl, M bars and rearsets. Quite a few here have some very nice examples

em_dot

Street Tracker
God Speed Bro! Thanks for serving! and keep your head down!

Give a shout when you are over there to let us know how you are doing, and don't hesitate to send a shout-out if you need anything. We send care packages!

Can you put the bike in storage? There's a place right across the street from Gate #5 at Little Creek that used to be the cheapest in town... well 15 years ago anyway. Check some prices around NOB and Little Creek. A small storage space for a year may be cheaper than the lost you will take if you sell. All that combat pay will go nicely toward a cafe conversion! I ended up with a Firebire Formula after the Gulf War.

I used to be stationed at NOB, Marine Corps Security Force Battalion my second tour (1993-1996). If you drive by it, wave for me will ya'?

I miss the Tide Water area...

Nick Morey

Rocker

+1... I agree with em_dot too, that storing it might be better if you can't get the price you want & as long as the rust isn't too severe. :shh: A creamsicle should fetch a higher price. IMO. :up:

Gretsch

Rocker
Thanks for your service.

My 2 cents:
1) Sell the bike
2) Save money
3) Buy new Thruxton
4) Use what's left over for mods.

simpson

TT Racer
For what it's worth: While you are away you can store the T100 here in NC if you want. I have secure garage space that would be yours. Away from the elements, and away from the beach (outside of Greensboro, NC right off of I-40).

That being said, I would strongly recommend you polish her up and put her on the market.
Riding season is starting in earnest, and somewhere near you there is going to be someone who is going to catch the bug...real bad.

Also, be sure to bring her to Brits in the Blue Ridge. Would be a great send-off for her, and you'd have a group of Brit-bike nuts to market to.

Thanks again for your service to the country. Keep your head down.

-simpson

Lots of advice, so I'll just say that if I was starting over with a wad of cash in my pocket I'd buy a Thrux. I love my Bonneville, but I've spent $1200 making it ride like I want. I feel like a thrux would've been only $500 or so.

Next stop, 675.

Good luck with those Afghans.

P.s. Why would they name their country after a blanket?

Paddyboy30

Two Stroke

Give a shout when you are over there to let us know how you are doing, and don't hesitate to send a shout-out if you need anything. We send care packages!

Can you put the bike in storage? There's a place right across the street from Gate #5 at Little Creek that used to be the cheapest in town... well 15 years ago anyway. Check some prices around NOB and Little Creek. A small storage space for a year may be cheaper than the lost you will take if you sell. All that combat pay will go nicely toward a cafe conversion! I ended up with a Firebire Formula after the Gulf War.

I used to be stationed at NOB, Marine Corps Security Force Battalion my second tour (1993-1996). If you drive by it, wave for me will ya'?

I miss the Tide Water area...

Will do....I was down at Dam Neck for pretty much all of last summer (just down the street from Oceana), and it was pretty cool to get some thumbs up from the cruiser guys at Boneshakers every time I stopped it! I didn't see any other Triumphs down in that area.

I just talked to my one dealer, and they do consignment sales, so I may go that way. I just have to figure a few things out first. Thanks again, everyone!

nohawk

Rocker
Stay safe over there bud. As far as your bike goes, I think I would hang on to it and change it up as you want. You would probably not get what you want for it on a trade in deal. Improving on it is almost ad fun as riding it plus you would have the stock parts to change it back if you wanted to