My modernized Bonnie Black cafe racer!

localmotion411

Street Tracker
Definitely want to check out your ride, see if I can steal some ideas! I wish Bumpers was still open on Spillway Rd, I always wanted to ride down there and check out one of those cruise nights.

I always see bikes on Tuesday nights (I think) at Wild Wings on Lake Harbour.

My biggest issue right now is jetting -- it might be easier to compare how my bike is running with another.

What are your pipes? Airbox removed? Jetting?

buckstoy

Street Tracker
I always see bikes on Tuesday nights (I think) at Wild Wings on Lake Harbour.

My biggest issue right now is jetting -- it might be easier to compare how my bike is running with another.

What are your pipes? Airbox removed? Jetting?

Hmmm, may check that out sometime, right now it may just be easier to hook up for lunch (when the rain quits) we got a 3 week old at home so most of my riding is done to and from work with some long routes home .

I think my jetting is close but it feels a bit flat under 3 grand after that I think my bike is giving me all shes got. I've got 140 mains and 42 pilots with predator slip ons and the airbox removed w/ K&N's.

localmotion411

Street Tracker
Hmmm, may check that out sometime, right now it may just be easier to hook up for lunch (when the rain quits) we got a 3 week old at home so most of my riding is done to and from work with some long routes home .

I think my jetting is close but it feels a bit flat under 3 grand after that I think my bike is giving me all shes got. I've got 140 mains and 42 pilots with predator slip ons and the airbox removed w/ K&N's.

W/ 140 mains, mine gets bogged down with the baffles out, but back in it runs stronger. It felt really weak with 145's and I was thinking 140's still might be too rich, but due to it being stronger with the baffles in, I'm thinking going to 135's might be too lean. I wonder if the loss of lower RPM power is just a caveat of removing the airbox and adding higher flow pipes. Mine runs hard as hell above 5k RPM but under that feels like a scooter.

Bullitt

Two Stroke
Off course NO rear fender is very HOT too. With long front fender, as GF's ride demonstrates.

CIMG2127.jpg

Now that is one hot bike!!! Now all he needs to do is black-out the headers and pipes and he's in business. Beautiful bike :headbang2:

Bullitt

Two Stroke
:huh:

I believe he was looking for one of the new model, mag-wheeled smaller Bonnies.... I'd like to see that new model modded in any cafe style myself.

Last edited:

localmotion411

Street Tracker
Here are pics of the latest iteration of my bike. Changes:

- IKON 7610 shocks out back, and Intiminators up front

- Changed the exhaust to Thrux headers and TORs. I like the sound but need more growl (need Preds) -- the performance, however, has improved quite a bit and I think it's due to the Thrux headers, which are wrapped in DEI titanium wrap.

- Got a new triple clamp and black risers from British Customs to go with a set of black clubman bars I got off eBay for $30.

- D9 bracket in the works (Seth, I'm sending this stuff back to you this week, I promise).

*Yeah, I've heard it before: "Why didn't you just buy a Thruxton?" I thought the Bonnie would be more my speed at first, but then I got into the mods and went nuts. Far more fun than buying a bike already done -- I turned the wrench on every one of these mods and have learned a lot in the process and had a shitload of fun. Besides, if mine were a Thrux, it'd be no different than most of the others. But I know that I took a Bonnie and turned it into this myself, which is far more satisfying.

DSC01728.jpg

DSC01734.jpg

DSC01731.jpg

DSC01733.jpg

Last edited:

strokerlmt

So what ....you have a modified Bonneville....no need for a thruxton and the Bonneville pedigre IMHO is stronger.....nice job on the bike. It is clean but the tit wrap gives you some balls and I am a firm believer that a D9 bracket will always add major "wow" to the front/top end.
I have the same risers....and I have some ace bars NH but never used...using MBars now. I felt the aces on the triple was to low for me but with risers a possible do. I would appreciate if you would tell me how the aces feel on the risers after 1-2 hours of riding....thx in advance...
LMT
[email protected]

Craigore

TT Racer
I was actually considering going to Ace bars (i'd get them black of course) only cause that bonnie top yoke looks like SHIT. throw a d9 bracket on there for me to see and maybe I'll change my mind.

Skeeter

Rocker
ahaha bike looks good, i re-read this theard andm i posted to bob your fender or take it off and i see you kept the no fender look. i was the same way. i didnt like it at first and thought i look like something was missin. now i love it and wouldnt put the fender back on

localmotion411

Street Tracker
So what ....you have a modified Bonneville....no need for a thruxton and the Bonneville pedigre IMHO is stronger.....nice job on the bike. It is clean but the tit wrap gives you some balls and I am a firm believer that a D9 bracket will always add major "wow" to the front/top end.
I have the same risers....and I have some ace bars NH but never used...using MBars now. I felt the aces on the triple was to low for me but with risers a possible do. I would appreciate if you would tell me how the aces feel on the risers after 1-2 hours of riding....thx in advance...
LMT
[email protected]

The aces feel great, especially with the additional height of the aftermarket risers. They are a bit far forward but I like that due to the rearsets and how it makes me naturally crouch a bit. Feels very natural due to the fact that I've been riding a Ducati PS1000LE for the past two years, which stretches you out inquisition-style. Still debating on which bars to stick with; may get a set of M Bars again (had some a little over a year ago and loved them) in black and compare with the ace bars.

Just glad the damn thing looks like what I've been shooting for this whole time. What's funny is the damn thing has less than 2k miles on it. I need to get to riding. Sold the Ducati a few months ago and have no excuse now with one bike.

localmotion411

Street Tracker
A note about the handling that I forgot to mention:

It feels so much better with the IKON 7610 shocks and stock fork springs with Intiminators than it ever did with the Ohlins 36PL shocks and IKON fork springs. Far too stiff before (I weigh 190). Now it is not only compliant over the really rough stuff but hugs the road much better and inspires more confidence in the turns and maneuvers.

Craigore

TT Racer
haha you sound like me I barely have 4,000 miles on my bike. I put 3k on when it was still stock!
I love the clip-ons that you sold me by the way... just am always looking to switch it up. If you get rid of those ace's I'll give em a try.

PS I am sending that loot over to you for that yoke

ivar

TT Racer
A note about the handling that I forgot to mention:

It feels so much better with the IKON 7610 shocks and stock fork springs with Intiminators than it ever did with the Ohlins 36PL shocks and IKON fork springs. Far too stiff before (I weigh 190). Now it is not only compliant over the really rough stuff but hugs the road much better and inspires more confidence in the turns and maneuvers.

Dayum, I want my $600 back :lol2: :lol2:
j/k, as I weigh closer to 230 and usually travels with some luggage, it will be very interesting to see how those Öhlins compares to my Ikon 7614's.
I also intend to do some gravel riding this year, and believe the öhlins will cope better with those conditions.

I've also put in intiminators I believe those will be a noticeable improvement for the "too soft but still jarring" stock setup.

localmotion411

Street Tracker
Dayum, I want my $600 back :lol2: :lol2:
j/k, as I weigh closer to 230 and usually travels with some luggage, it will be very interesting to see how those Öhlins compares to my Ikon 7614's.
I also intend to do some gravel riding this year, and believe the öhlins will cope better with those conditions.

I've also put in intiminators I believe those will be a noticeable improvement for the "too soft but still jarring" stock setup.

Yeah, I meant to say "for me"! Those Ohlins are no doubt some of the best shocks on the market for smooth roads and the track, but some of the roads here in MS will beat you like you owe them money. I'm wondering about the Ikons with a pillion...

ivar

TT Racer
My ikons with a #150 pillion worked just fine, but I also tend to ride a lot more sedate with a pillion. I have the #222 springs, which Brent @ newbonneville.com recommended for my weight and intended use.

And if I find the öhlins on the harsh side for my liking, nothing a competent shock guy can't fix

localmotion411

Street Tracker
My ikons with a #150 pillion worked just fine, but I also tend to ride a lot more sedate with a pillion. I have the #222 springs, which Brent @ newbonneville.com recommended for my weight and intended use.

And if I find the öhlins on the harsh side for my liking, nothing a competent shock guy can't fix

I think the more supple ride of my current setup is due more to the Intiminators. The Ikon progressives I had in there before (with no preload spacer) rode rough as shit. No dive whatsoever; I like a little bit of dive, which the stock springs w/ Intiminators provides.