crankcase and sprocket cover bolts

buckie

Scooter
Does anyone know a reason why you couldn't use button head socket bolts instead of hex bolts or socket head bolts on the crankcase and sprocket covers. If you could find them long enough, I think they might look pretty good.

normandy

Street Tracker
First of all they are "shoulder" bolts and second, I don't know about the U.S. but they are rare as hen's teeth around here.

Motley

750cc
Second of all, they're cap screws........not bolts.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't use button head screws.

buckie

Scooter
And the correct answer is "what are metric socket button head screws" and Motley will be moving on to the lightning round!

ssjones

750cc
Hit the Grainger catalog and start searching. But, you end up with a ton of bolts you don't need, because of the quantity in each box (maybe you could sell a few kits here?). I just ended up getting the kit from NewBonneville and polishing them myself for a lot less money. Those kits use standard allen-head socket bolts which can be a pain to keep clean inside.

Motley

750cc
Gentlemen, maybe I can clarify.

Bolts are fasteners that may or may not have a head suitable for use with a wrench or driving tool. Think of carriage bolts or coach bolts. Bolts need nuts to become fasteners. Bolts are tightened by threading on nuts. Bolts are not threaded into blind holes.

Screws are fasteners with heads that will require a wrench or driving tool. Hex head, socket head, slot, Philips, Robertsons, etc. Screws do not generally need nuts to become fasteners. Screws are tightened from the head end. Screws are, most often, threaded into holes.

Anyhoo, call 'em what you like, or what you're used to, it's all good.