Sprocket Upgrade

drlapo

Hooligan
I went down one tooth, on the rear, on my 79 T140
made no difference that I can determine
that said, the stock gearing on my Thruxton is just right

dschief

750cc
I changed the counter shaft sprocket on my 790 Bonneville from a 17t to an 18t (same gearing as my Thruxton), it lowered the rev's about 500 rpm in top gear at any given mph. The downside is the 790 doesn't like to be in 5th gear below 60mph, but it makes 4th gear more useable for back roads. Can't say it really made much difference in the mpg.

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
I went from 18 to 19t on the front of my 865 Bonnie, made a BIG difference in my commute - I "look for 6th" a lot less often. On the long road trips (MD <--> VT or MD <--> CT), I do still look for 6th on occasion.

With stock igniter, airbox removed, and TOR's, I redline in 4th at about 95 mph...

Craigore

TT Racer
i went from 17 to 18 on 2005 bonneville. soooooo much better on the highway. i think I'll put a 19 on there next road trip as I tend to do ~1000 miles at a time (within a day or two)... although the bike doesn't wheelie anymore

Twodogs

Street Tracker
I went down one tooth, on the rear, on my 79 T140
made no difference that I can determine
that said, the stock gearing on my Thruxton is just right

You would have to go as many as four teeth down on the rear to match one tooth up on the front. Cheaper to change the front. There are formulas on the net that will allow you to work out what difference there will be to the revs when you start changing the sprockets. I had a 19T on the front of my 05 Thruxton and changed it back to the 18T. I would really like to try a 17T for slightly quicker take offs. My personal opinion is the 19T drags the arse out the bike at take offs especially on slight inclines needing to ride the clutch a bit more and when you really listen to the motors they really like to sit on 4 - 4500 rpm.

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
Mr. Blue, What did you redline in 4th with the 18t front sprocket?

Don't recall exactly, it's been a coupla years. Someone posted the calculator link - it's dead on. My technical brain tells me it should be 18/19th's of 95 mph. And the '95 mph' is an approximation... the speedo bounces around a bit up there and I don't stare at it. :) What I know is that I can *just* hit the ton (indicated - damn gps disagrees) in 4th before the rev limiter kicks in.

Yeah that: gearing commander.

RumRunner

Street Tracker
I've gone up and down depending on what I was trying to do. I've had 17, 18, & 19 up front, and 41, 42, 43, 45, & 47 on the rear. With the 17/47 combo it would pull the front wheel without even thinking about it. The 19/41 had the best fuel economy... Currently running 18/41 since I primarily ride in the mountains decent fuel economy not too buzzy and fun to play with.

rodhotter

Scooter
if you want a real upgrade put a belt drive on, removed my oily chain + sprockets on my 2012 maggie at 650 miles, its for sale + still in one piece with no weak master links

ianmcp

moped
Do you guys know what size the nut is that holds the front sprocket in place? Seems like it's around 36mm the best I can measure it, but I don't have a decent set of calipers to check it with.

Went 18 to 19 teeth on front sprocket on 2013 t100 its got the standard 43 teeth rear, like others have said its like all gears move up 1 stops you looking for 6th seems to pull no problem, I much prefer this set up.

Others have said does not change fuel consumption but be aware that speedo takes its signal from the engine out put shaft and it did read4 to 5 mph fast is now spot on! I checked it with sat nav that is dead right. So you now travelling real miles not "short" miles.

Plus owners who have not seen a difference will be getting better consumption its just hidden by the speedo correction.

Will also put less miles on your bike so worth the £9 sprocket from http://tecbikeparts.com/Triumph_parts_7.html

Last edited:

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
...be aware that speedo takes its signal from the engine out put shaft

Nope. It gets its "signal" from the speedo cable that plugs right into the front hub, with a little lug. Cable spins with hub, turns gears, turns speedo.

Changing wheel size/profile will change the reading on the speedo, but not changing the sprockets.

...will also put less miles on your bike..

HUH? Only if you ride it less.