First bike

Well the power of the boards seems to have worked in my favor. I managed to convince my dad to work on his bike with me. Idk if it will actualy happen but it's a step forward. I hear that if the bikes a classic your aloud to ride it without adding directionals andvwhat not?

you need to figure out what that bike is and post pics!

you probably won't need turn signals.

take the reigns and get that thing working! I'm assuming you have more spare time than your dad does? Get him to getcha started, take ownership of the project, and get 'er done! Learn by doing!!! and do do do!

Kirkus51

Hooligan
My experience started at 13 and waiting to get a scooter license at 14. My 1st bike was an 80 and I'm amazed now at how many times I dumped the thing. I thank my lucky stars I never tangled with a car. With that years experience I graduated to a 250 and had tons of fun and wonder of wonders didn't get into any accidents at all. Bigger bikes and fifteen years later... first accident with a car. Glad I had a helmet on cuz my head was first thing to make a connection and it split my face shield and cracked the helmet.

On average I'd say once about every ten years AFTER you go through the 1st year or so of riding which will be filled with little dumps etc. you will have an accident.

Having a bike is a personal choice and riding them frees our souls a bit, but you pay a price for that.

I'm kind of stumbling blindly through taking off the carb. it's an inline 4 engine, and i've never worked on anything mechanical in my life but im trying. I kind of did it ass backwords, i got the carb off the rubber deeliess attached to the engine before i thought to disconnect all the tubes. plus, since i dont know the name of things its hard to look up any how to's

Hg
Find out details of the bike. Then close this thread and start a technical one for help. There is way too many experts for you not to take advantage of the fact. Wish this web shit was available when i struggled with just a manual and close friends who knew less than me!

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
Rats! now I have to get a damn cow! Do you know how much them things eat?

Yess, but you can get an adapter tube for the exhaust manifold on the cow and run the output of that straight into your intake manifold on the bike and you'll easily get another 10 rwhp and +3 tq from the methane boost!

You'll really be moo-ving, then!

Thruxtonian

Street Tracker
Jeddy, nice taste in old bikes! My first "real" bike was a 1972 blue/silver CB350, which I learned to ride in San Francisco, the day I bought it, on the way home. I really really really don't recommend that method. Not even sure why I'm still here to be honest. Did have a few good crack ups out there, but nothing that required ambulance or ER.

Here are the pix. One of the covers is removed right now + rust dust and the rest, but you can get the idea. They used to call it his Honda Davidson, couldnt afford a Harley, so he tried to turn the Honda into his version of one. There's allot of great stories about that bike.
IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_0104.jpg

IMG_0108.jpg

IMG_0109.jpg

IMG_0107.jpg

Dude, that thing is badass! Way cooler than any new bike. That thing has history and soul! Fix 'er up and ride like hell. DO NOT MESS WITH THE PAINT! LEAVE IT AS IS!

Those old CBs will haul ass too, and sound like a swarm of angry bees. There's lots of info on sohc cb750s on the net.

I bet you can get that thing running by:
-clean/rebuild carbs (easy)
-fresh oil (easy)
-fresh gas (easy)
-new battery (easy)

likely you'll also need new tires (although maybe not), chain, brake pads/shoes, some cables, etc.

That is an excellent bike, I'd much rather have it than the HD of the day.

Good luck getting it running, and don't crash that period piece!

jeddy-3

Two Stroke
Jeddy, nice taste in old bikes! My first "real" bike was a 1972 blue/silver CB350...
Thanks man, I freakin love the old Hondas. You should check out my photo album.

Dude, that thing is badass! Way cooler than any new bike. That thing has history and soul! Fix 'er up and ride like hell. DO NOT MESS WITH THE PAINT! LEAVE IT AS IS!

That thing is bad ass. Listen to the sweatmachine!

The tanks a little scratched on the side, plus there are some scratches on the frame, should I try and patch that up or do you think it will cover up all the soul? Also will I have to add directionals to make it street legal? You guys got me real excited to male this thing rawr again!

TC_Dick

TT Racer
The tanks a little scratched on the side, plus there are some scratches on the frame, should I try and patch that up or do you think it will cover up all the soul? Also will I have to add directionals to make it street legal? You guys got me real excited to male this thing rawr again!

Hell yeah.. THAT's a first bike!

jeddy-3

Two Stroke
It may or may not need signals, kinda depends on whatever clown inspects the bike; that probably changes from state to state. Its no biggie, you can get it inspected and if it fails you have a month to fix the problems but can still register and insure the bike. That really is not a concern right now. Right now its the electrical and fuel system, then other mechanical issues.....as others have stated.

Get her running good first, leave the cosmetics as things to slowly improve over time. Enjoy the experience for what it is....like sweatmachine said, its often just as gratifying as actually riding the thing.....sometimes even more so, depending on the effort you make. Its funny how things work.

Get a Haynes or Climer manual for the '72 Cb750. Search for vintage Honda forums or even specifically CB750 forums, join them as well. I know some forums have workshop manuals available for viewing or even download. Try to read the forums and search for your answers before you ask, often the answers are all there, you just need to look in the right spots. Other members will appreciate it when you ask a question that is somewhat unique and not something that everyone else asks on day one. I am also a member of a wonderful Honda C70 forum that I found on yahoo groups, also a Kawasaki W650 forum on yahoo groups as well. Both are specific to those particular makes and models and have helped me tremendously with each particular motorcycle.

Last edited: