First bike

Hey everyone, im turning 16 in a few days, and now my dreams of getting a Bonneville are starting to taste real. Always wanted one, and with much work convinced my parents o let me get one. Whats the word legally? do i need my drivers license first? im amusing i will, so i guess my triumphs still about 6 months out? also, i have some dirt bike experience from when i was younger. Obviously the dirt bike i was riding was much smaller then a motorcycle would be, will it be like learning all over again? It kind of sucks that i have no bike to learn on befor i get on the triumph, my dads old bike hasnt run in years.... Excuse the long post haha, just a little excited!
Thank you!

do i need my drivers license first?

that's a pretty stupid question, dontcha think? To operate the bike legally on public roads you'll need a DL with a motorcycle endorsement.

This is contrary to what I would have wanted at 16, but maybe you should get some road time under your belt in a cage before you put yourself out on the road with cages.

You should definitely take the MSF class. This is a motorcycle course where they both teach basic skills and also help you get your motorcycle endorsement.

Good luck, don't kill yourself.

I meant do i need a drivers license for a CAR before i can get a motorcycles license haha, my bad, i wasn't clear. as far as the MSF classes , do they lend you a bike or do you need to bring your own?

Craigore

TT Racer
I've been riding 2 years with only a class D license and motorcycle permit. Of course, things are a little bit different here in the city where you only get pulled over for flashing a gun and or driving while intoxicated. The reality of my getting caught is very real, I DO NOT ADVOCATE THIS TYPE OF BEHAVIOR. Piaget says that you're a formal operational thinker by your age, what do you think?

...get a license and job before owning a motorcycle.

yeah i have every intention of getting my license, and im working with my father to develop a new business in addition to the recording studio i've been running for a while now. As far as the formal operation thinking, i like to think im capable of reasoning just as well as an adult at this point, and i pride myself on my logic. on the flip side i know im lacking in experience, thats why im always trying to pick everyone's brain whenever i have the opportunity. Then again i've read studies saying the brain’s prefrontal cortex doesn’t finish completely developing until age 19, and others that say 25, so i guess my decision making abilities arn't where they need to be yet either.... but hey, thats what parents are for.
Once again sorry for the long post, if you get me started on philosophy or science, i cant stop myself haha.

TC_Dick

TT Racer
My stock advice:

There are two types of riders, those that have been down, and those that will go down.

I pretty much always recommend starting with something that you don't so much mind if it gets a bit trashed, then once you're really comfortable on the road, get what you want.

I don't know what the laws are where you're at, but in washington state you have to get your drivers license in a cage before you can get your motorcycle endorsement. I also strongly second the MSF. And good armored riding gear (see point 1).

And don't mind Sweatmachine's grumpiness, he seems to be one of the nicer guys around, and he really knows his shit.

Yeah, you guys are probably right on the MSF thing might as well get as many of my beginner spills on there bikes. any advice in the way of helmets? is there any truth to all the talk of full face helmets snapping necks?

My first bikes before 16 were basically motorised bicycles which I thrashed and crashed regular. No real harm as its slowish and light. At 16 I owned an RD 250 Yamaha. Now that was a mean machine and could outdistance most bikes from a standstill, though larger bikes caught me up later as no real top speed, but a great bike. That one and me ended up in a tree. At 16 to impress girls with a wheel stand was too hard to resist. Pity I never maintained it. Certainly deflates ego when you cant move due to chest pains from slapping a tree, and the bike is written off.

I would recommend you get something cheap but fun to start with and then when have a bit more experience get a Bon. It would be heartbreaking to damage one of those and unlike my 150 quid throwaway RD very expensive.

Yeah ive never been about the high speed stuff. i always preferred just cruising. Plus i figure if i have the Bon i wont need to do wheel stands, the bikes impressive enough :D! im not sure if ill have the cash to say " ill get this bike, because its no big if i wreck it, then later ill get a nicer one" though....

None of that is high speed stuff HG. Its more that you cant resist trying things when have a bike. As you would know from yr dirt bikes. You will for sure drop the bike, I have no doubt. Whether at a standstill or while moving. I really am not a risk taker and on the whole was quite sensible, but I do reckon that RD was a great starter bike to learn things on. And even my next bike Kawasake Z650 was a bike I looked after but still dropped a few times, through silly things. I am not trying to put you off but I think most here would agree that you learn more from your mistakes on a bike. And without them you dont improve. Anyway i am sure you will do ok whichever way you decide. And the fact you ask is proof you are quite sensibe.

TC_Dick

TT Racer
is there any truth to all the talk of full face helmets snapping necks?

No. And if you faceplant (and I have), it helps you keep your teeth.

im not sure if ill have the cash to say " ill get this bike, because its no big if i wreck it, then later ill get a nicer one" though....

Remember, if you don't wreck it, you can always sell it. If you buy used, you'll likely get close to what you paid for it. Hell, the old 70's honda CB's are going up in value right now. If you put a little work into one, you could make a bit more than you paid pretty easily, plus you get the chance to learn about repair/maint.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to talk you out of a bonnie, I'd just hate for you to end up like I am right now:

some_assembly_required.jpg

Which in my case seems to be a recurring theme:

heartless.jpg

jeddy-3

Two Stroke
Anyway i am sure you will do ok whichever way you decide. And the fact you ask is proof you are quite sensibe.

I don't care how mature you think that you act, and how extensive your vocabulary is, or how many questions you ask.

I did not have one friend who owned a motorcycle in high school make it even a year without getting in a wreck. Drive a car first... but better yet, spend the next 4 years riding a bicycle (I am actually serious about this). Ride it on the street, following rules, like you are supposed to. I honestly think that the 6 years I spent on my bicycle during my high school and college years really helped to prepare me for motorcycling. I still ride my bicycle a whole lot actually.
i like to think im capable of reasoning just as well as an adult at this point
Good for you! I like to think that all the fine ladies spontaneously cream when I walk past, at the sheer sight of my manliness. Don't think so...

i know im lacking in experience, thats why im always trying to pick everyone's brain whenever i have the opportunity. Then again i've read studies saying the brain’s prefrontal cortex doesn’t finish completely developing until age 19, and others that say 25, so i guess my decision making abilities arn't where they need to be yet either.... but hey, thats what parents are for.
Nope, Parents are supposed to be there to tell you to take your ideas of having a road bike when you are still 15 and shove them up your ass.
Your mom and dad wont be riding bitch to tell you how to react when situations present themselves. You said it yourself, studies show that little prefrontal cortex developing at earliest at 19 years old. I honestly think that 25 is the more realistic number. 19 year old people are still really stupid.

Whats the best part about a 16 year old on a motorcycle on public roads? It's that when he fucks up, which he will......hell be less likely to hurt or kill anyone but himself.

And thats all it is man. When people act like me its cause they are worried you are going to kill yourself. It may be your fault, it may not...the end result is the same, and you are simply not yet equipped to handle some situations...you said it yourself. You obviously have more class than most kids your age. It would be a shame to waste them just because you outsmarted your poor dad.

Bonniebret

Rocker
Personally I think 16 is too young to be out riding a bike in traffic. That said, if you're going to I would strongly recommend getting sometime behind the wheel first. Like a year or two. Get used to driving in different types of weather and interacting with other drivers. This includes looking out for motorcycles and learning where your blind spots are. Kind of a "learn your enemy" approach. THEN go out and get your endorsement. The MSF class is something you'll never regret taking it. Oh, and definitely get a Bonnie (used).

dave1068

Two Stroke
Just to add my .02. I got my m/c license at 16 and only had a few months driving a car. First bike was a honda xl200 which was a dual purpose. I would ride it mainly around my neighborhood and occasional rides on the freeway w/ my father who also had bikes.

900cc is a lot of bike for a 1st bike as well as limited time in a car, rethink your options, your driving skills and what might be a safer way to start off. As you get more experience w/ bikes, you'll have them for a lifetime, most people in this forum have probably had at least 10 over time.

stay safe and good luck
Dave-

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
HGMan- Sounds like you've got plans for your life. Add riding a motorcycle on the streets to the list. To the bottom of the list. Once you're old enough and wise enough to realize that it's scary and dangerous as all fuck, then you might be ready. Once you have that and there isn't any part of you that's thinking in terms of "if I total it...." as part of your rationale, you're getting closer. Once you have that and you're in a position to just write a check for your Bonnie, go for it. You might be 30. And you'll be way less likely to become an unpleasant statistic, and to live to share your accumulated wisdom with your kids.

Those fucking cagers will kill you without thinking about it, is what the problem is. Until you've put, say, 100,000 miles in behind the wheel, your instincts aren't well enough developed. Dirt bike skills pretty much don't translate to the street. Out on the dirt tracks, there are no 2 ton hunks of steel moving at 60mph and not looking for you to contend with, and there are no barrier walls to keep you from bailing out of a jammed up situation.

[Me: Had a bike for 3 months when I was 17, had two friends that literally died on theirs after kissing cement on an unscheduled landing, sold the bike. Flash forward 28 years and got my BBlack at age 45. Tooled it around the neighborhood a few times until I finished the MSF class and got my license. I've got 11,000 miles on the Black in 2 years, and I think I've become a better cager for the experience. I think it's funny that on my back roads commute to work, I make better time in my car than on the Bonnie. Not because the Bonnie is slow, far from it. It's because there are a LOT of driveways that come out on that road, and funky angle cross streets, and DEER! Stuff that I didn't notice as much inside my nice safe cage, and that after 30 years behind the wheel. I'm comfortable (I think) with my mortality, but of the ways I can think about going, on my motorcycle isn't one of the desirable ones.]

Good luck!

Oh yeah - the helmet question. Look in the mirror. Do you like what you see? If so, full face. If not.... Think of it this way. You're jamming down the road at 60 (ok, 80) mph, just 6 feet away from incoming traffic moving at the same speed. Some friendly driver tosses a tiny pebble/cigarette butt/hunk of gum out the window and it hits you in the eye/mouth/cheek/ear/head/neck with a closing speed of 150mph or so. Would you like to deal with your body's involuntary reaction to that while staying on your bike and out of oncoming traffic, or would you rather just hear the loud crack as it hits your helmet and bounces off?

Not to mention a full-face has way more room for cool graphics. :)

Last edited:

KingOfFleece

Street Tracker
Lots of dirt bike experience from 9 to 16, street bike at 17, totaled street bike at 17. Now 51 and still have effects from wreck-went to bike school and then mentored with ex-racers. The point? I was not ready for the street even though I had good bike control. There is no way to learn what you need to survive at a young age. get more experience-read the good books-go to bike school, and then let 'er rip! Oh, and the full face? Like girls? They like boys without the pushed-in chins.

Bonafide

NBR founder
Get yourself enrolled in a MSF course ... pronto. Dirt and street are NOT the same. The handling, the way to turn and manipulate the bike, braking, etc is very different

In georgia, you can get a Motorcycle permit (MP) without having a regular class car license (class C). You have to take a written test and it's good for 6 months. It does have limitations as well - ie: no interstate, passengers, or after dark.

drlapo

Hooligan
my youngest son's moniker is "Crash2"
at 17 I bought him a Kwaasaki 500 and he did OK:eek:nly went down once, very slowly
then he got a 675 Daytona at 18 crashed it twice hence Crash2
first time, April= $300 damage, 2nd, time, May, broke it in half
now on a Street Triple
get something you can afford to "lose"