Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

blumtnman

Scooter
Zamm

One of the best books I've read is. Old Man On a Bike, written by Simon Gandolfi, 73 year old guy rides Texas to Patagonia. Very cynical been there done that attitude, but in places so so funny. I enjoyed it.
ZAMM, also a great book, one of those where you have to be fairly peaceful to read it I think. A few of my mates have tried to read it, they found it hard to get into. I did the first time but the second it struck a chord, and I learn something new everytime I re-read it.

JimVonBaden

Street Tracker
The work of genius is widely misunderstood; although many of us are not able to grasp new and innovative concepts because we like what we know and know what we like, it does not, IMHO, devalue the extraordinary ideas presented by those of superior intellect.

I didn't have any trouble understanding his theories, I just believe them to be unfounded crap. I am very open minded for the new and innovative, but being really smart does not make you right, or mean what you contrive is automatically true and valid. IMHO Oh, and as for a "superior intellect", I wouldn't be so sure about that!
:stupid2::D

Like I said, fun read, but he was insane to be sure, and IMHO his theories don't hold water!

Jim :cool:

PS No intent to argue, just posting a differing viewpoint!:flag:

slowgator

750cc
I didn't have any trouble understanding his theories, I just believe them to be unfounded crap. I am very open minded for the new and innovative, but being really smart does not make you right, or mean what you contrive is automatically true and valid. IMHO Oh, and as for a "superior intellect", I wouldn't be so sure about that!
:stupid2::D

Like I said, fun read, but he was insane to be sure, and IMHO his theories don't hold water!

PS No intent to argue, just posting a differing viewpoint!:flag:

No argument here either. I can only speak for myself, but my inabilty to see or understand Pirsig's definition of "quality" is due to my own limitations; I am hardly in a position to deem his ideas "crap". Since you understand his theories, perhaps you can enlighten me in layman's terms?:stupid2:

JimVonBaden

Street Tracker
No argument here either. I can only speak for myself, but my inabilty to see or understand Pirsig's definition of "quality" is due to my own limitations; I am hardly in a position to deem his ideas "crap". Since you understand his theories, perhaps you can enlighten me in layman's terms?:stupid2:

Not sure how one defines unfounded crap. I guess another way to put it is that he tries to describe to us what "Quality" isn't, but not what it is, and even rebukes the very idea that it is definable. I suppose it is like trying to define faith in god, you really can't in quantifiable terms, which I believe is what he said at some point.

IMHO If you can't define it in laymans terms that could be understood, you can't debunk it in layman's terms either.:yawn:

None the less, this thread is really about moto books, so this should be saved for a night with lots of drinks, and lots of time for introspection!:wave:

Goin-Commando

Street Tracker
Zen and the Art...

I tried to read it once, the story about the motorcycle adventures was cool, but the Zen stuff was crap. I read the book about half way, then threw it in the trash.

BTW, the bike on the cover looks like a Kawasaki 440 LTD.