Yet ANOTHER Powder Coating Wheel Thread...

Hamr Mark

TT Racer
Ok, I have searched through this site, and although I did find some info, I did not find what I am looking for so:

To the people who have their rims p/c:

How did you do it?

My shop said about 3 hours ($95 hr) per tire to de-lace. That includes marking each spoke, for, according to them, if they do not go back in the right spot, I will never have a true tire again in my life. And, if it takes the 'pro's' 3 hours, I could not imagine what it woud take me, and I don't want to be without a bike for that long.

Called a p/c shop today and they said about $75 per set (rim+hub) and will be done over a weekend. I could come down to their shop and pick up some high heat tape to mask off the spokes etc. Now this sounds good, until I start thinking about where the spokes go through the hubs, leaving little shiney chrome bits all over. Another option is to tape the spoke until the hub starts. so yes, some spoke would be p/c but it might look better. I dunno? I am hoping to get to the shop in the next day or so so they could have a proper look at the bike and offer some ideas.

So, my question to all of you who have p/c their wheels...How did you go about doing it/getting it done? Anyone de, then re-lace and were there any problems? Anyone just mask off the spokes?

Pics...let's see some close-ups.
Ideas, hints, and advice, let's hear 'em.

Bonafide

NBR founder
I dropped mine off and picked them up at local shop. I've had 3 sets of wheels done in recent years. The last set (CB750), I wanted new spokes - otherwise - they reused the old ones with no issues. Both mine and GFs bikes have excess of 10k miles with PC wheels now ... they still look new.

The pricing quote you got sounds about $25 per wheel better than I paid.

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
That's a "reasonable" price. I paid a bit less, but not much.

You definitely want to get the wheels disassembled and reassembled. Part of powdercoating is baking at 400 degrees for a while. That will either back on, or bake off, your tape job - what a pita. You *could* do the whole thing en masse (p/c the spokes, too), but as they flex you'll eventually get cracks.

D9

Vendor
Couple of powdercoaters I've worked with had special heat tape they used that
withstands the baking process... pretty amazing stuff.

http://www.caswellplating.com/powder/powder_tape.html

They'd have to be able to mask somehow to get multicolor effects... still & all, I'd agree that disassembly would yield the best end product... when it was all said & done you'd probably be happier with it.

My wheels and hubs are at the powdercoaters right now. Pick em up tomorrow. Woohoo! Disassembled...but I'm going with new HD Buchanan spokes. Yes they use p/c tape...they have to tape off the centers where the bearings reside.

My Triumph mech can re-lace with his eyes closed, no need to label the spokes. Try taking pics of your rims with spokes, then de-lace them yourself, p/c rims and hubs and then take em to a mechanic who knows how to re-lace.

Re-laceing: $85/wheel x 3 wheels (includes hack wheel)=$255
P/C: 3 rims, 3 hubs, 1 hub cap (hack), 1 kick plate = $220

Hamr Mark

TT Racer
De-lacing would definately give the best results, and I do have another ride that I could use while the 'Bon is off the road. I am just worried about screwing something up and the whole plan goes to shit.

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
Best way not to screw something up: Pay the pros to de- and re-lace the wheels. :)

Rhodie

Street Tracker
Agree with Blue J - I'd feel happier to have them delaced.

If you can, consider having the spokes black chromed.
I had my OEs done and they looked the Dog's Bollocks.
Sadly the guy who did them said they were such a pain to do
that he refused to do my Buchanans [their rims are already black].

Hamr Mark

TT Racer
To have my Triumph dealer do the laceing, I am looking at like $300 per set....OUCH, but granted, they do know what they are doing (I hope) and it would probably be faster than doing it myself.

Anyone have any close-up pics of their rims+hubs?

Hamr Mark

TT Racer
check with www.woodyswheelworks.com for pricing on doing the whole thing!

The big advantage to Woodies is that his wheel lacing and finish work is top notch, and prices very reasonable, even comparred to a dealer.

Jim :cool:

That's what I need, sadly Woody is on the other side of the continent, and a different country.

I called Triumph Perf US and was looking into/asking about their core exchange. I don't like the idea of send my good rims to somebody and possibly getting some damaged rims in return. I am not saying TPUSA are bad or anything of the sort, I just don't know how well the QC is done down there. I asked about buying the p/c OEM parts outright, and it was something silly like $700 front and $1200 for the rear.

Gonna call some wheel shops and see what they say.

JimVonBaden

Street Tracker
That's what I need, sadly Woody is on the other side of the continent, and a different country.

I called Triumph Perf US and was looking into/asking about their core exchange. I don't like the idea of send my good rims to somebody and possibly getting some damaged rims in return. I am not saying TPUSA are bad or anything of the sort, I just don't know how well the QC is done down there. I asked about buying the p/c OEM parts outright, and it was something silly like $700 front and $1200 for the rear.

Gonna call some wheel shops and see what they say.

Send Woody an E-mail. He does Canadian work all the time, and is quick. He might still be your best bet for quality and speed.

http://www.woodyswheelworks.com/moto_wheels.shtml Price list

[email protected]

Jim :cool:

Beachfinn

Scooter
Woodys super lacing looks interesting to me:
A SUPERLACE™ is a custom solution for the recurring problem of loosening and breaking spokes. The solution can be modified depending upon the type of application, size of bike/engine, and your skill level and needs. The process involves analyzing and reconfiguring your OEM rim, spokes, nipples and hub. We essentially blueprint your wheel with optimal selected components and lace patterns transforming it into a rugged wheel that works as good as it looks and looks as good as it works.
I have a local guy picked up for other PC work, but wheels are a pain because the bearings and spokes. I may send them over to Woodys at next rubber change :)