Yet another Newbie TORs Question

Okay, I know this has probably been beaten to death a billion times on this site, but I'll ask anyway...

:rolleyes:

Will TORs look exactly the same as the stock pipes on my 2007 Bonneville?

I love the sound of Predators, but the look is quite different. If I bought a new U.S. spec EFI Bonnie, then I'd definitely get them.

However, I think the TORs are the only pipes that may look the same as my stock pipes and they sound GREAT, too!

Another, newbie question... Will I notice any difference in real power or mileage? I don't really care about fuel mileage, but I'm curious. I'm much more interested in whether I'll notice a difference in performance.

Thanks, in advance, for sharing your experience.

Cheers!

:ride:

wolfie

Two Stroke
1217081450.jpg

Here's a recent pic of my 07 Bonnie w/ tors. The tors look like the stock pipes, just slightly shorter.

With the carbs jetted correctly, there was a noticeable increase in power. My fuel economy has suffered as a direct result of just how much more fun it is to wring her out. Others have reported an improvement in fuel economy. They apparently have better self control than me.

I opted for the tors based on:

They sound good without being offensively loud.
They gave a modest increase in power.
I dig the look of the stock pipes.
affordability, as they can be found used for a reasonable price.

I hope this helps.

jeddy-3

Two Stroke
TORS=Triumph's Other Really {boring} Silencers

The TORS are a little louder than stock pipes, which means that if you listen you can hear them over the blender sound of the engine. They also give you just a little better performance. They are, of course, worse on fuel economy.

I don't see how anyone could say that they get better fuel economy with pipes (and proper rejetting) that provide for more fuel to flow through the carburetors. If someone can clear this up it would be great, but I just don't see it.

The TORS sounded pale to me, after trying to like them for about 3 years. I did not, by any means, want to sound like some obnoxious HD with open cans, but it is nice for a motorcycle, especially a Triumph, to sound like it's supposed to. There is a certain charm to it, and I felt like I was missing out with the TORS. For others they will be perfect....and that's ok too.

Do yourself a favor, go to youtube and search for "bonneville silencers" and listen to the samples. There is enough content there to make your ears bleed. You'll get to see the pipes and also hear (to an extent) what they sound like.

And if you like the preds on one of the new Bonnevilles, whats to stop you? Who F'ing cares if it looks "stock". I think one of the coolest things about bike ownership is making it your own, making it suit you. It would be a boring world if all the motorcycles looked the same, that's for damn sure.

Last edited:

drlapo

Hooligan
it is possible to improve gas mileage and performance with pipes and jets. the increase in torque allows you to runthe engine at lower RPM for the same performance thus decreasing the fuel used
of courseif you revel in the new found performance the only increase is in your endorphin levels

T-boy

Rocker
Newcastle...There are a number of aftermarket silencers that look very similar to your stock pipes. If you like the Pred sound, check out the British Customs Sleepers.

I just completed the silencer, rejet, etc project, but after getting 8" of snow this weekend, it will probably be another month before I can get her out on the road to "hear" and test the fruits of my labor. I too, am hoping my mpg increases or stays about the same. It does seem there is a division in the ranks with some saying mpg decrease, and some saying an increase.

wolfie

Two Stroke
Great looking bike. What screen is that? I might need one of those for my cross country tour.

It's a Givi A750. D9 gave it to me. Again, thanks.

I haven't decided on it yet. It has it's positives and negatives. It is noticeably more comfortable to ride with it on, especially in the cold. It mounts using the headlight bolts as it's only two points. This means that When I get up to ridiculous speed, the airflow pushes my headlight up. If I sould figure that out, I would love it.

I actually prefer the look of a naked bonnie. I think I'll probably end up using it in the winter, and long hauls, and remove it the remaining 80% of the time.

Thanks guys!

I'm definitely gonna have to do some more research on the BC Sleepers. I was completely unaware of them. If they sound like the originally styled Preds, they could be the ones I get. The photo on the BC web site makes them look a bit shorter than stock though. It also appears that the mounting hardware eliminates the rear pegs on a Bonnie. Can anyone confirm this?

I'm also interested in any comments on the Norman Hyde Classic Silencers (or "Togas"). They're a little different in dimensions than the stockers, but definitely have the same style.

PS: Wolfie - I like your fairing. Does it provide any hand coverage on those cold days? I know Givi makes some quality stuff and has a model that's a little bigger, but yours looks pretty darn cool!

T-boy

Rocker
I recently purchased the Sleepers and installed. Due to snowy weather I have not been able to road test, but at idle they sound awesome! They are indeed shorter than the stock silencers, but I like the look. They can be mounted with the rear footpegs...mine are. British Customs were very easy to work with as far as answering any questions/concerns that I initially had. All in all I am very happy with my purchase. Check out my "It's Alive" thread for pics.

Last edited:

wolfie

Two Stroke

PS: Wolfie - I like your fairing. Does it provide any hand coverage on those cold days? I know Givi makes some quality stuff and has a model that's a little bigger, but yours looks pretty darn cool!

Thanks!
That's a big negative on the hand coverage. Heated grips are definitely still on my wish list.

jeddy-3

Two Stroke
Newcastlelatte,
I bought TORS origianlly, as I posted, but after a few years and a lot of thought I got the NH togas and could not be happier. They look great and sound even better. Check out some sound clips online.....to me they are just about perfect, and after the rejet I had a noticable improvement in performance.

The sleepers are stainless, which to me is a big plus. Pretty sure you will be happy with either one, whatever you decide. Had the sleepers been available when I got my NH's it's hard to say which way I would have gone.