XS650 Revisited!

Oxblood

750cc
Since I'm back in Colorado I persuaded a friend of mine to give me the XS650 I had started chopping for him half a decade ago in welding school. This is as far as it got before he ran out of funds:

l_4811189658a145cebac87bf1750dec3b%252520%2525281%252529.jpg

The frame after sitting for 5 years does not look as cool as it did to me back in the day. Plus I really sucked at welding to boot:

270332_10150231097182012_500297011_7645813_7776961_n.jpg

Easy fix, off with my ghetto fabulous hardtail on with a shiny new David Bird looped hardtail of awesome! 4 inches of stretch 2 of drop which, as we all know, means at least a +4 in the chix diggit department:

071511203055.jpg

More to come!

P.S. I promise to actually finish this project!

Oxblood

750cc
It's my wife's 78 fj40 with arb lockers front and rear, 350 chevy, warn winch, rollin' on 35s with a slight lift. Her dad built it before he passed away in 99 and we picked it up from her mom this feb.

071711150324.jpg

Last edited:

simpson

TT Racer
Nice!

The +4 chix diggit may be an understatement...what chick wouldn't want it to be stretched 4 more inches and be 2" lower.

-simpson

Oxblood

750cc
With working 60+ hours a week and in the process of moving it's hard to make progress on the XS650 chop. I did just about finish my motorcycle workbench though. Dimensions are 23 inches wide by 8 feet long by 24 inches tall. All that's left is to replace the bottoms of the legs with casters so I can slide it away from the wall.

071911142809.jpg

Last edited:

Oxblood

750cc
Small update no progress more backstepping...

Found a runner 79 XS for 500 bucks. Rode it around the block once now I'm tearing it down for my build. This save me a headache with the title and rebuilding my old engine. Work has slowed down so you guys may actually see progress now. Hoping to have it down to the frame and ready to weld back up saturday!

xssideview.jpg

xssideview2.jpg

--Matt

Oxblood

750cc
She's a roller! That tank and fender are not staying have something better planned. Haven't decided on front end ride height either
IMG_20111008_124231.jpg

Last edited:

Oxblood

750cc
Slowly making progress. Got my axle turned to fit my front wheel and sorted out my rear wheel spacers. I also learned that axles are too hard for me to use my die on so going to have to take it back to the machine shop and get it threaded. My new front rim came in so I'm going to try my hand at lacing wheels again. The last time I tried that my triumph was down all summer. I also figured out how to immobilize my front brake drum which makes me very happy. I've been stumped on that one for a week, hopefully I'll finish that up this weekend.

IMG_0211.jpg

IMG_0219.jpg

Oxblood

750cc
niiiice!!

Thanks! Spent 3 hours today working out front wheel spacers. Think I'm about there, but I really wish I hadn't sold my lathe in NC. Cut back to 40 hour workweeks for a few weeks so I got plenty of time for this bad boy but not plenty of money. I'm not gonna let that stop me though I'm already in frugal mode, made peg mounts out of an extra set of motor mounts I had laying around. I'll prolly get some more picture up Sunday, gonna see what I can get done this weekend.

::Matt

Oxblood

750cc
The dark side is calling me! I picked up a sporty tank for a song and I kinda like it on there. Going to narrow and frisco it then decide. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics, more later. I also finished my workbench topped with some scrap steel plate from work, so I can tear into the engine next week. I was just going to rebuild the top end but I really wanna rephase it and go the whole nine yards.

IMG_20111101_174204.jpg

IMG_20111101_174213.jpg

Last edited:

Oxblood

750cc
Working on a change in altitude up front, she's coming down 3". I was about ready to murder someone after trying to get the fork seals out with everything I could find for 3+ hours and had started to walk away when I caught a tire spoon out of the corner of my eye. Mofo worked like a champ! Also picked up some Biltwell 7/8" windows bars on the cheap, not sure how I feel about em but they'll get me on the road.

.facebook_62868.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

And just so you know all the Hardcore chopper builds rock butterflys these days!

koifarm

Hooligan
Great project man, she's coming along nicely....funny how one job leads to another then another then.........lol....but if you're gonna make major changes now's the time to do it...nice work !....looking forward to seeing her all bright, shiny and on the road....